Railroad Line Forums - Upscaling the "Red Oak Garage"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 162 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Upscaling the "Red Oak Garage"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale Topic Next Topic: H0  0-4-0    ->   0n30 Steamswitcher
Page: of 4

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  10:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really great, Karl! I once did a quick 1/2" scale mockup of the garage in foamcore. Realized I didn't need another 5 year project!
That window is really cool. Gotta luv that putty.

If that pane keeps buggin you, like Rick said just fill it with a board, or cardboard or a piece of an old sign...

Edited by - Chuck Doan on 01/26/2009 10:44:30 AM

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  10:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very cool Karl!!

I wouldn't worry about the window....sticky gooey stuff happens to windows in the real world too!

Lets toast to that with a soda pop....snap..fizz WHOOSH! Um...I didn't know mine was dropped...er...sorry about that...here's a rag buddy.

Edited by - Dave D on 01/26/2009 10:51:40 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck and Dave,

Yeah Chuck she's pretty big, a detail guy like you could easily get lost in there for a year or two

I on the other hand was planning on a two week timeline. One week for the basic structure and diorama base, the second week for the detail work. Week one is on schedule but week two will be dependant on what happens tomorrow.

Dave if you cant drink responsibly you're not getting anymore.... even if it is just sodapop....

Karl.A

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive, Karl.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  5:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You work really fast, Karl. I'm much impressed. I started mine in february 2006 and it is still not done...

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl & NickO..

.thanks guys for the links for detail parts..

. some amazing stuff available

... I'm looking for figures , that were used on the Sundance Central...

"M"

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  12:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Terrell and Frederic, but the quality of your craftsmanship far exceeds mine Frederic, my impatience has a high price in the results.

You are most welcome Mario, here's another good one I found with links to several good suppliers on their list to the left.
http://www.detailmaster.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The restroom side of the structure,

the restroom will have a raised concrete slab floor hence the current large gap under the door which will be filled by a step.

Note the double hung frame in the window.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/27/2009 12:54:24 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  12:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The other thing to consider Frederic is that in my haste I make careless mistakes...... like forgetting to put in the nailholes before I glue things together....

Which is now going to be a real pain to correct without damage.

Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  12:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Unbelievable progress. Simply looking fantastic.
Peter
BCT

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  02:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

The other thing to consider Frederic is that in my haste I make careless mistakes...... like forgetting to put in the nailholes before I glue things together....

Which is now going to be a real pain to correct without damage.

Karl.A

Karl

I'm doing a large model and decided to put "random" nail holes after I finish the construction. Then add a few washes "here & there" ,over the holes.....

I really like the peeling paint. So many of you RRL guys have mastered this so well.....

cheers....

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  04:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're by far too modest, Karl, since your scratchbuilt models have all been outstanding.
About the nail holes, since I've sometimes made the same mistake, I'd say that it is not so difficult to add them with a needle held in a X-acto like handle. I used to put a bit of A&I in the holes and often got a blot around the hole. What I do now is to take a very small quantity of oil paint burnt sienna on this same needle and put it into the hole. Then with a very small brush this hint of rust can be brushed towards the bottom. The slow curing oil paint makes doing this very easy.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredibly realistic, Karl! And the raised concrete slab will be an excellent touch as well.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  04:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the generous comments, and the nailhole sugestions, as Frederic points out it shouldnt be too difficult to correct, its just frustrating.

No model time yesterday but I made up for it this evening by building the last wall.
In the time I spent engineering and fitting the frame wall section to the foam section to save time I could have made the required strips, textured them and framed out the whole wall in one piece and still had time for a coffee, oh well.

Note the paint bottle to the left of the walls for an idea of the size.

Time for a few hours sleep before work, rafters and front awning tomorrow.

As always any ideas, tips or critisisms welcome.

Karl.A

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  07:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Karl, I don't check in for a couple of days and your way further ahead. Can't wait to see it all together. Pat

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  2:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The garage is looking great, I wish I could work this fast. The texture and color of the wood look great.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale Topic Next Topic: H0  0-4-0    ->   0n30 Steamswitcher  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 30.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000