Railroad Line Forums - Upscaling the "Red Oak Garage"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Upscaling the "Red Oak Garage"
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale Topic Next Topic: H0  0-4-0    ->   0n30 Steamswitcher
Page: of 4

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  9:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  10:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Now, Karl, that's pretty incredible modeling! But what scale is it? 1/2"??

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  11:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, much appreciated, and certainly made me smile.

The 'small' version on the left is O scale, but it seemed small, so I doubled all the dimensions making it 1/24, so , yep, 1/2" scale, good eyes.

The figure sitting on the windowledge was HO.

Best Regards,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/27/2009 10:29:11 AM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  11:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up sizing. Way to go...

I'm reading about "Lord of the Rings" at the moment. I luv your Hobbitt

"M"

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  03:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your worn wood is great, Karl. It's nice to see you on this project. It might even push me to complete the relatively small work that has still to be done on mine...

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  07:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your wood does look great...good job. Danny

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  08:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant work, Karl! Now, you'll need an area the size of a football stadium in which to place a layout of that scale!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

That is going to be huge!!! Nice job on the wood great look.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  10:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fabulous job on the peeled paint. Thanks for sharing...

Bob

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  1:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl ,

Looking good so far . Things certainly become a lot more interesting in 1/24th scale . I'm in the process of building a sort of lean-to critter shed out of brick . With each brick being individually laid . Time consuming or what ?

Now , to me , you look as if you have just about finished your apprenticeship ( just finish this building and you are done) , so it will be soon time for you to find your way in the Big Wide World . I think it is time you considered not copying other people's work so much and started building structures from your own designs . You are obviously perfectly capable of doing this , so it would be much more interesting to see structures built by you that we haven't seen before . This is neither a criticism of you , your abilities or the choice of structure that you build , but it would be nice to see something that is unique to you . Of course , the chances are that you already have done this and I missed seeing it, but the overall impression I get is that you prefer to up-scale existing structures rather than design from scratch .
Am I talking out of order here ? I am not trying to offend you by saying these things , just to suggest that you might like to have a go at something different for a change .

NickO ( heading for the bunker)

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  11:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouraging replies.

Nick, mate, talking out of order, you? never.
Certainly no offence was taken by what you say, infact it merely emphasises the nagging thoughts I have.
I guess I'll just have to go to a library and do some research there. Each time I have tried to find something original online I get bored wasting time bouncing around fruitless websites and links and uninteresting structures.

In my own defence Chambers Point Lighthouse is an original, although mainly based on a prototype.
I do also have another original structure fully designed and 75% built on my shelf, although it hasnt been seen as yet.

Thanks for the encouragement and interest, it is most certainly well taken and received in the context you wrote it and will be given more serious thought over the next week or two while I finish on this project.

Thanks again and please keep the input flowing.
Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  01:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
1/2 inch scale ... the detailing in the woodwork is amazing. Keep the photos coming.
Peter
BCT

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  12:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl ,

I'm glad you didn't take what I was saying the wrong way as I was trying (in my own funny way) to encourage you to broaden your horizons , so to speak . As for research , just keep your eyes open . I don't know the sort of buildings that exist in the area that you live in , but I'm sure there is something that takes your interest . Even if you do find yourself building more structures that have been kits in one form or another try and change or add something to yours to personalise it .
I apologise for not remembering Chamber's Point . It only reinforces my point that you are very capable of doing original work . Let's see some more .
Getting back to the Red Oak Garage . Are you going to detail it and do you have a source for such parts ? I have been looking recently for mechanics tools etc. and they are out there . Let me know if you need any web addresses.

Nick O

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  1:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

WOW, super job and most interesting scale to work on.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  7:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter, Nick and Tim,

I do plan to detail it Nick and have found a few items following a brief search last night, although somewhat toy like they maybe useable with detailing/weathering. I also plan to search out some G scale stuff, although 1:22.5 it should be close enough for some things I think. Some links would be gratefully accepted whenever you have time, thanks.

I stopped by Hobbytown on my way home from work and picked up a selection of sheet balsa for the project.
I cut this into the scale lumber I would need for a few aspects of the build, I distressed the strips and gave them a dunk in some A&I.

Prior to this I assembled the front doorframe and installed it in the wall.

Now it's time to go and cook some authentic "fish'n'chips"
Hopefully the stripwood will be dry enough for some construction when I am through eating, although with no heat in the house things are taking way too long to dry for my liking.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  12:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got the wood stained to a colour I liked, (after three soaks in the A&I)

I framed and assembled the first wall, added the boards and will add the battens when the boards are dryed well.

A few fuzzies to remove when the glue is dried.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/25/2009 12:20:26 AM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: SW Duluth Co. -- O Scale Topic Next Topic: H0  0-4-0    ->   0n30 Steamswitcher  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000