Railroad Line Forums - Logging Micro Suggestions?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Logging Micro Suggestions?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My P&RC RR. Mini in On30 Topic Next Topic: The Great International Shoebox Challenge  

bcarter1234
New Hire

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  8:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm beginning to plan a three level micro layout in HOn30. I'm new to model railroading having nearly completed my first layout, an HOn30 5-3-3 inglenook which borrows heavily from Chris Krupa's Minbury Abbas. I'm hoping for some insight here.

What I want to try next is a logging layout in three scenes. Each will be an individual shelf layout preferably no larger than 3'x1' for the modelled section. When run as a unit they can be stacked so that a train leaving the bottom layout exits on to a cassette which will then be turned (or not) and the train will enter the second level etc. Each level could have from 1 to 4 entries/exits ie. left front, right front, left rear etc. If the entries and exits were properly aligned you could set them up end to end I suppose.

I'd like one level to have an inglenook, one a tymesaver or variation of it, the third I'm open to suggestion.

I don't know much about logging operations so any advice regarding what scene should be modelled on each shelf would be great. I'm thinking logging on top, a small town to switch in the center and the mill or log dump on the bottom.

I'd love to see any trackplans, sketches or suggestions you come up with. Thanks for your time. This format could easily become a mining layout by building suitable alternate shelves for the top and bottom.

Take care,

Brent Carter

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Railroad-Line Brent! I'm not a logger but I'm sure some here can give you some good ideas. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Mike

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  11:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent,
A good logging line to stay in business would need:
A place to load the logs - a straight piece of track (maybe with a run around but not always)
A place to unload the logs (inglenook) add a log dump, and a spot on the water to have a car ferry to explain equipment transfers.
A place to maintain the engines and cars (Time saver as this would account for the most switching)

Good luck with your plans.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  12:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Brent,

The three scenes Larry mentioned reminded me of this design from Carl Arndt's Site:
http://carendt.com/microplans/pages/industrial/logging/index.html (the first trackplan on the page)
It's not quite what you asked for but it might trigger some ideas.

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent,

I thought about your plan and the idea is very good.

Here are some rough drawings.

Beginning of line and log dump

Camp 1 engine house cook house

Camp 2 current log loading site

All of the other track for the railroad would have been single track main lines.

Good luck if you move forward please post some pictures.

My current build:

bcarter1234
New Hire

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses. I've looked often at the link Cody pointed to at Carl Arndt's site. Based on the sketches above I'll try to start sketching in Xtrkcad. I'll post when I have something.

Take care,

Brent

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  06:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent - a good place to look for ideas would be
http://members.optushome.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html
and also
http://www.geocities.com/loggingloco1/BVT/
and this may give you some more ideas
http://www.geocities.com/loggingloco1/dctramway/homepage.htm

Edited by - shortliner on 01/21/2009 06:48:00 AM

bcarter1234
New Hire

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  9:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack,

Thanks for those links. I was familiar with the first two but the last one was new to me. It is a great inspiration for what I want to try. His "Camp 4" is also very interesting.

I've admired much of your work as well. I definitely want to do a Box Street and a Pine Ridge II variant at some point. I've actually laid out the Pine Ridge II variant and runs some trains on the track in HO.

Take care,

Brent

bcarter1234
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  7:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found a drawing of a layout I've often admired that I might want to use as Camp 1 or Camp 2 in Larry's proposal. The original layout was called "Ashmelton". Some shortnening will be required. I'm happy to hear any comments.

I was thinking of using a half circle for the cassette. A train exiting one level from the front would automatically be turned and enter the next level from the rear and vice versa. Any thoughts on plus or minuses? More trouble than it is worth?

Take care,

Brent

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  7:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent,
Great use of the timesaver track plan.
I am tired and not sure I understand the half circle question. Do you have an example?

My current build:

bcarter1234
New Hire

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  08:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Instead of using a straight piece of track as a cassette I was thinking of using a half circle of track. So for example the train would be run off the end of one level of the layout, near the front of the level onto the half circle cassette. The cassette would then be lifted or lowered to the next level where the train could enter on a track near the rear.

Some of the advantages were the ability to get more train on a cassette that stuck out less from each end and the train would be turned to enter the next level.

Apparent downside would be tight radius curve required and the alignment issues.

Originally I considered this as part of a vertical traverser that could be manually operated by a cable but I suspect aligning such a thing in a hidden fiddle area would be a lot of trouble. Most likely I'll just go with a straight cassette and turn it 180 degrees to re-enter the next level.

Take care,

Brent

Previous Topic: My P&RC RR. Mini in On30 Topic Next Topic: The Great International Shoebox Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000