Railroad Line Forums - Dueling Builds - SWSM Twin Mills at Deer Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: crossbuck ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Dueling Builds - SWSM Twin Mills at Deer Creek
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Foamboard structures, brickwork, cobblestones, etc Topic Next Topic: Paper/Card Challenge - Rolling Stock Edition!
Page: of 61

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  2:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This episode of Iron Craftsman Structure Modelers(lol) brings together two prolific builders, Mike (runner), who was honored by having his Railroad Camp displayed at Brett’s table at CSS08, and Elliott (ETinBH), builder of the now tattered Logging Camp diorama, also displayed at CSS08. Both are known for the rapid development of their builds and well reviewed finished product. While we will not have any time restrictions on the duel, we will also not be competing in any sense of the word. We just thought it was a cleaver idea and good title. So, this thread will memorialize the trek, such as it is, and give folks a chance to enjoy the trials and tribulations Twin Mills is sure to pose. Both builders have soaked their strip wood and mixed the various elixirs needed. Let the competition begin!

(As an aside, the reason a separate thread has been started is that the previous Twin Mills thread was getting long and Carl, one of several builders, will soon be finishing his build with the completion of the diorama, so, since this is a long project, it was thought a new thread for these builds was appropriate. Here is a link to the original thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4895 . We invite others that might be tempted to dip their respective toes in the Twin Mills log pond to join in. The trip always seems shorter and easier with company)
Elliott

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  6:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First pic - wasn't going to waste your time with needless pics but I wanted to comment on staining - Brett would have you lay out several strips and paint the stain on, then wipe them off. Well, there are thousands of strips, not including the ones you mass soak - no way I was gonna do that - I'm too old and would pass on before I was done, so, I put the stain in a baggie, added a bag of wood, and mushed it around until they were coated, then reomved them and lightly scumbled them between two cloths to remove the extra stain. Then I lightly rubbed them on some newspaper sheets and finally placed them to dry. Elapsed time to do them ( bags 6 thru 15) was less than 2 hours. I might actually finish bertha this lifetime!

Elliott

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  7:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am happy to join Elliott on this build, and he was too modest to tell you that his logging camp diorama won "Best of Show" at CSS08 in Mansfield a couple of months ago. I spent a few hours helping him reassemble it, but I am not going west to help him put it together again- especially since I am embarking on this little project. While I didn't dare take over our laundry room, I did manage to take over the dining room table to stain the stripwood- this after using most of the kitchen counter as my build station. Here is some drying stripwood (exciting) and a shot of the kit contents- 16 bags of stripwood!

Before I stained the first 5 bags I tried several stain formulas that Mike Chambers put in his excellent three part tutorial on his website, and it is also on Rusty Stumps' site. I compared these to Brett's stain and a couple of my own A/I concoctions. I wound up with one of Mike's (Gray-brown #1) for a lot of it and Brett's stain as well.
I'll have a hard time keeping up with Elliott because when I talked to him on the phone he sounded very focused!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This will be fun to watch and you guys will really enjoy working on the same project. And what a project it will be.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  8:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elliott and Mike
Glad to see you guys working on a project or should I say many projects since this kit contains all kinds of things that must be modeled.

I would say that this will be a Challenge in the true sense of the word to see if each can complete their project.

Looking forward to watching this with great interest.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  07:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, I look forward to your builds, it will be very enjoyable to see two different approaches at the same time.

Elliot, what exactly is "scumbled" LOL, couldn't find this one in the dictionary. Pat

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  07:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Elliot, what exactly is "scumbled" LOL, couldn't find this one in the dictionary. Pat

Pat,
Time to discard that dictionary and get a new one.

From Google and an on-line dictionary.
scumbled:
In art, to cover an oil painting lightly with opaque or semi-opaque colours so as to soften the outlines or colours. A similar effect may be produced on a drawing by lightly rubbing the image.

I guess Elliott's image is wood sticks.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  07:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your build guys it is going to be fun to watch!

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

mikeLV
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...that's a lot of stripwood. It'll be run watching. Good luck with your builds!

Mike

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, guys!... I will be watching with great interest. I need to look over those stain fomulas myself! Good luck and let the photos be posted! Danny Guntersville, Al.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  10:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! What a neat project! I will be watching this one!
I think me ol granma usta feed me "scumbled" eggs when
I was a wee lil buggar!

The Geezer

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  10:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in too, guys -- as a follower of the thread that is.

Bruce

Edited by - Dutchman on 01/13/2009 10:12:01 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  10:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well alright then, I'll be following along as a lurker. Great project to follow here!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  11:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gonna be an epic duel. HE HE

Ill definately be keeping an eye on proceedings. Good luck guys.

Wes

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  4:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elliott and Mike,

Others have pointed out and complimented you on taking on this big kit challenge in a shadowing fashion, as well as the amount of strip wood shown. What caught my attention was the fact that you two seemed to have succeeded in taking over a laundry room and dining area!! Wow, are you two very brave soles? How did you pull this off? Any pointers for the rest of us? Do you need a place to sleep while the true owners of those areas cool off? Look forward to your updates.

Gregg

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  6:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Going to be a great thread and lots of fun to follow along. I agree with Gregg about the real estate takeover, I tried it once and the payback was way too high.
Peter
BCT

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Foamboard structures, brickwork, cobblestones, etc Topic Next Topic: Paper/Card Challenge - Rolling Stock Edition!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000