Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: Dec. 2008 "2008: A Photo Review
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: Dec. 2008 "2008: A Photo Review
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Moose Jaw SK - 1983 Topic Next Topic: History is where you find it.
Page: of 8

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  07:56:16 AM  Show Profile
It is December, and another year is coming to a close. That means that it is time for our second annual ‘photo review’ devoted to the ‘Best Of 2008’. Progress photos of work on your layout from the past year, photos of models and/or dioramas you have built in ‘08, or just favorite pictures that you have taken (prototype or model) in 2008 would all be welcome. (I stress pictures that you have taken, to head off anyone infringing on copyright laws by posting someone else’s pictures.)

Since the more prolific modelers among us might have a lot of finished models to share, I will suggest that you spread them among several posts. Those members on dial-up have loads of problems if we upload more than 3 or 4 pictures at a time.

Okay, then, let’s see what you have accomplished in 2008!

In consideration for those on dial-up, please keep your photos to 80KB or smaller.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  09:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Let me kick the month off. Back in April, I completed the third structure in my "grandkid" series. This one is a kitbash of the Rusty Stumps Boarding House kit, and it is named after granddaughter Myranda.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Great topic, Bruce! Sadly, I only completed one project this year. This is an HO kit by Main Street Heritage, called River Road Surplus.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  11:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Chuck,

I remember that build well. You did a fantastic job with that resin kit.

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  12:08:53 PM  Show Profile
In 2008, Jim Lucas and I teamed up to create several dioramas and learned much in the process. The year began with completing the final detailing of Houligan's Alley, an FSM Houligan's and FOS Deckers kitbash where we leveraged elevations to accent each and every structure, resulting in a very pleasing town scene.

H1

If you wish to see more:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19564

Next, we created a westernized version of the South River Modelworks Lamson & Goodnow Cutlery kit, a multi-level build on the banks of a river gorge.

LG001

LG014

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20915

This was followed by Kendalls – After The Fire, a kitbash of the South River Modelworks Kendalls kit, where we made a station, hotel and tourist business out of a factory complex.

K18

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22346

We ended this election year with M.Cain and O.Bama Fish Oil & Fertilizer, our modified version of the Fine Scale Miniatures Rollin Saywer kit, a multi-level, dockside variation highlighting the events of these unusual election and economic times.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23308

It’s fun and satisfying to look back and see the results together as a body of work, pleasing not just for the builds themselves, but as an indication of the growth we have made. We are getting better and I am using the knowledge gained as I now complete the design for the next build, which has promise of making 2009 and equally good and productive year.

Happy Holidays To All,
Gregg

Selector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  1:06:45 PM  Show Profile
We all have to start someplace. In my case, it was with this Kanamodel CPR-style water tank. The actual prototype exists, restored, not an hour from my home. It is my first "advanced" kit, and presented some challenges for me.

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  2:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Finished one thing this year:

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  6:58:50 PM  Show Profile
My first SRM kit I did from start to finish earlier this year. Building is basically done. Note the chimney and forge building in background are not permanently planted so they are sitting crooked. Scenery around it is not complete yet.
Mike

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  7:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Some Walthers engine terminal structures I built this year.
Mike

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  7:06:25 PM  Show Profile
A kitbashed structure built this year. It's based on Walthers Sterling Dairy. Built to hide a track that pentrates the backdrop behind the building.
Mike

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile
A covered bridge by GClaser I think. It was built for the area its pictured in, but I don't its going to work there. BTW I substituted EZLine for the metal support rods that came with the kit. They were bending too easily and I could not get them back into shape to my liking.
Mike

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage
My major accomplishment for 2008 seems rather minor compared to the excellent modeling of other RR-L contributors.

One corner of my layout consumed a great deal of time in 2008. Repainting the backdrop, realigning the roadbed, and building track that included 4 curved turnouts.

It just about kicked my

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  11:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message
Very nice completed projects guys. I need to look around, I am not sure I finished anything this year.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Well, I didn't finish the structure for this, but I finished the machinery that is going inside the structure. And, since they required a lot of time and effort, by golly, I'm taking credit for getting them done!

These are hoist and steam engine kits from Western Scale Models. They will be in a hoist house as part of my anthracite mine.

Chuck

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  2:04:29 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to take stock... I think I've completed only 2 or 3 things this past year....

Here's one thing: the Boarding House from Rusty Stumps Scale Models. I finished this late last winter and shot the photos on a temporary diorama.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  2:25:17 PM  Show Profile
For the sake of argument, let's say I finished this module.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Moose Jaw SK - 1983 Topic Next Topic: History is where you find it.  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000