Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line R.R. founded
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: pctrain19 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line R.R. founded
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs
Page: of 100

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  01:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Dave, I just spritzled on some very fine ground foam in the wet matte medium/water for fixing the ballast.

Frédéric, had I had more lives, I would perhaps had handlaid track.. I'll dig up a photo or two with super short ties in the meantime

A tiny update while I'm here... I've been making a lift up hatch in the Teal River corner, working on a road from there to Convers too, foundations for the bridge, a big tree etc. Lots of small projects.

A little update on the how-to wave thing.... A photo of newly applied acrylic gel wavelets between the bigger spackle waves. The micro tops are made by the suction under the palette knife or by dapping a finger... All this white mess will dry completely clear and just look like ripples reflecting the light. Making realistic waves is time consuming (leaving no time for handlaid track)!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  05:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Troels
Wish it would stay just the way the waves are now. You've capture an 'angry surf' just before the store. Wonderful.
Peter

Spike
Section Hand

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  06:22:46 AM  Show Profile

Troels, you have made a wonderful work on your seaside. It's amazing how your waves looks real!
Again, thank you for sharing your techniques with us.

quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Then on to the bridge over Teal River, which has had a little work. A girder deck side, three crossmembers/what's-their-names underneath, some rivet plates here and there, a wooden deck and an initial layer of rust. I've roughed in the stone foundations and they are ready for carving.

I am planning to use a similar bridge for one of my projects. I was wondering what is the height of your rails above the sea level and I you had other pictures showing the work you have done on this bridge? Thank you.

Bruno

COHS Member - http://www.cohs.org/
CNRHS Member - http://www.cnlines.ca/

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  06:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Peter, I will paint the "angry surf" a bluish white evntually, like I did on the first part I completed... wonderful expression for that agitated zone by the way!

Bruno, I'll take some more photos of the bridge ASAP! I'm deliberately trying to makeit "neutral" in appearance... nothing too spectacular, just a foreground portal to the scenery behind it. I'm actually working on the river behind it at the moment, which will have a weir, a stone viaduct for the road near the background, and gravel banks with rushes.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Troels
Looking forward to the finish surf photos. In my mind, this is what surf sound look, sound and feel like.
Peter

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  10:45:01 AM  Show Profile
Troels looks like a sound module with surf and seagulls is in order, hey what about a fog machine!! Looks wonderful,,,,Jerry

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage
Thanks for always taking the time to post your progress and openingly share your techniques with all of us, Troels. (I'm still trying to find a spot in the mtns of WVa where I can model "a coast line!"sully

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Jerry, if you take a look at the video I posted a couple of pages back, the video sound is my homemade track intended for this stretch of coast!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Troels sounds like home!!

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  4:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Bruno, my rails are appr. 8,5 cm over sealevel... and as requested here's a couple of photos of the bridge... In the close up you can see the extra rivet plates added in the back, and the girder bridge I built under the track. Simple modifications. Stone foundations painted and glued in place too. I've also begun cardboarding the landscape behind it, with the road, weir etc. I'll make a sketch of the future river/weir/road bridge tomorrow.

The now dry gel ripples/wavelets have got their first drybrushing of bluish white foam around cliffs etc, and the odd white foam crest in pure white.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  4:42:02 PM  Show Profile
It is really looking great, Troels, and the new additions to the foaming sea have made it even better.
You should have told Bruno that the bridge was less high, since now he will harass us to increase the height of the track in a common project we have here to model a (very small) part of an Amazonian railway...
Apparently, there's more scenery on its way in the surroundings of this bridge. Great news!!!

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  4:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message
quote:

I actually find the amount of white "foam" in this picture to be very realistic. Even on calm days there is still a lot of "foaming" especially where you have a rocky and irregular shore.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Spike
Section Hand

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Bruno, my rails are appr. 8,5 cm over sealevel... and as requested here's a couple of photos of the bridge... In the close up you can see the extra rivet plates added in the back, and the girder bridge I built under the track. Simple modifications. Stone foundations painted and glued in place too. I've also begun cardboarding the landscape behind it, with the road, weir etc. I'll make a sketch of the future river/weir/road bridge tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the additional pictures! That's very useful. You have perfectly adapted this "basic" bridge to your layout environment. It looks very promising. I am looking forward to see the scenery work around the bridge.

quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

You should have told Bruno that the bridge was less high, since now he will harass us to increase the height of the track in a common project we have here to model a (very small) part of an Amazonian railway...

True! But let's discuss about this at the right place.

Bruno

COHS Member - http://www.cohs.org/
CNRHS Member - http://www.cnlines.ca/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Troels
Just keeps getting better and better. The surf is emotional and evokes the feeling of crashing waves. Splendid.
Peter

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  6:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage
Troels -

You are a master. I've never seen a better representation of water. Congrats. All 10.0's from me.

-John

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000