Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line R.R. founded
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 229 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line R.R. founded
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs
Page: of 100

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  10:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Tom, the stool is normal height, it's a very high table. I actually like modeling higher up... easier on the neck and upper back. And I normally use a thin, wedge shaped cushion to straghten the back too.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  3:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, finally some progress: Having installed lights along the long Convers side, tonight I got the brushes working again. First I sketched the major clouds' outlines, then starting with the transition to the evening backdrop gave the blue in between clouds it's first coat. I use a medium blue colormix in the middle, then add a little ultramarine at the very top, and add more and more white the lower I get. Continued like that all the way down the 8 meter (27 feet)wall, then gave the right/lower parts of the clouds a quick smear of grey (a warmer grey the further I went to the left, nearer the morning sky of Cranberry on the remaining wall). You can see the immedeate depth the grey shading adds to the clouds.

When the paint is dry tomorrow, I'll repeat the procedure to get the finish softer and nicer, then begin elaborating the highlight parts of the clouds with a warm white, add some haze by the horizon etc.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile
What a huge progress on the backdrop, Troels! Indeed the clouds look a bit "hard" on the pictures, but now that I know better your technique, I think I can imagine what the "softening process" will lead to.
One of the most amazing things with this backdrop is that while the clouds look very large on the pictures, their size seems quite natural when you see the place in person. It's easy to forget when we model how huge some things can be in real life.
As always, I think we're all looking forward to see more progress on this layout...

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Looking great Kirk !

See you're experimenting with the valances at the 'dark end', will you be using the curtains with foil on the inside ? My local timber merchant has flexible ply and mdf strips, something I'm pondering about to use.

Guess you must have nearly a kiloWatt of fluorescent tubes up when you're done Kirk, I found my clouds to 'change hue' after installing the bare plywood, will change again when the scenery goes over them, hope to be able to make changes to the background after that, got myself a couple of brushes with long handles/stems(?) just in case :-)

cheers, Leo.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage
i wish i had the space i really do sometimes

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Nice background Troels.....and I have learned something as well.....
I will be watching the clouds materialize....
Thanks for updates.

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:36:06 AM  Show Profile
HaH, I just wish I had the time!

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address
Troels,
I really like the clouds, it sets the stage and mood of the railroad.

For valences, I am not sure you can get this but I use and swear by bendable plywood. It comes in 4x8 and 8x4 sheets. No I am not pulling your chain, its made to bend horizontally or vertically.

Here is my bent Valence.

I have a shelf system all the way along, I used simple 1x2 wood to attach the bends. I will be using it as part of my facia too.

Les

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  09:51:05 AM  Show Profile
That's it Les !

having seen this I'm sure to use it as well, tnx for the picture !

cheers, Leo.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good looking valance suggestions! They sell the bendable mdf here too. I will however stick to my original plan and use a sewn fabric valance with reflective mylar backing. I've got the fabric (surplus theatre valance from my own theatre ;) and the sewing machine (yeah, and I'm the sewing one in our house!). I'll use fabric underneath the layout too eventually. It's almost free, very light, VERY reflective, and it wont get in the way when I change tubes etc.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile
In what kind of store can one buy the mylar?

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Frédéric, the mylar is sold in ourdoors, hiking, mountaineering sorts of shops, often called space blankets. Silver on one side, gold on the other. I pay around two-three euros for mine,2x1 meters or so large.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  12:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I see where I should try to locate it. Your "soft" valance sounds like an excellent idea, and I think I will adopt it on my rebuilt layout. Thanks.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  3:49:32 PM  Show Profile
I've made some ground foam for the layout, experimenting with cool, northern colors for the Teals Cove. Blitzed foam in a blender with a little water, black, green and ochre acrylics. Pressed out the surplus color... Don't use you domestic blender!

Tonight I gave the Convers background a coat more plus the beginnings of yellowish highlights. Accentuating the haze and blending the greys tomorrow to give less harsh contrasts.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  4:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage
Troels...could you please post your process for the ground foam...I will need a lot of foam for the Gauley River and would appreciate your techniques....what type of foam? How big are the pieces going into the blender?...are you using the Folk Art type of squeeze bottle acrylics found in the arts and crafts stores?
Thanks in advance...tom

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000