Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line R.R. founded
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 189 ]  [ Total: 190 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line R.R. founded
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs
Page: of 100

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  6:23:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

My dear wife suggested having the reverse loop on a shelf in the garden shed...

Now that sounds like a pretty darn good idea. Especially if you did it such that the switch was in the layout room.

Jim

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  7:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Troels
Envy doesn't even come close. The genesis of a terrific looking railroad. looking eagerly to the saga of the building of the Coast Line railroad.
Peter

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  02:45:47 AM  Show Profile
Judging from the positive remarks, I guess the scenicked part of the layout is approved! As I really like it myself, I'll stick with the design, and only hone and fine tune that part. I've made a couple of drawings of alternative solutions for the return loop and staging yard. I like the through-the-wall shed solution best, as I don't have to bother with grades, and can have manual turnout controls throughout. I hope to only have the reversing turnout motorized, to have a completely automatic reverse loop. The rest of the layout will be manual throws in the fascia or trackside.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message
Troels,

If I may put in my 2 cents (cdn) into the pot, I also prefer the first option far better than the second one. The second one raises a couple of flags for me. 1) Turnouts will be hard to reach and will require automatic control. 2)tracks will be hard to access when one has to fix a derailment (derailments will happen at the spot most difficult to access, it's one of Murphy laws). 3) coupling or uncoulping cars (if required) are a lot harder on curved sections. my thought is if you can afford the extra space in the garden section of the shed, use it.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Edited by - elwoodblues on 11/05/2008 08:24:42 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Troels,

What a great looking room you have for the layout.

I also perked up my ears when I read that this layout was inspired by Frary's Thatcher's Inlet.
as a waterfront modeler who was also inspired by Thatcher's Inlet I will be following the construction of this layout with great interest.

Not to put any pressure on you but I am including a link to this thread in Member Layouts Under Construction thread found in the Model Railroad Construction forum.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22362

Good luck and I will be watching.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  09:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Troels,

I agree with Ron and think that the first plan is better. I would not put the switches under the layout on the reverse loop. When I first suggested the return loop under the scenery I envisioned it would be just flex track and therefore little risk of a derailment.

The more I look at your plan the more excited I get about seeing your progress on the construction. Have fun planning until you move in.

Larry

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  09:57:16 AM  Show Profile
John, thanks for the link and the mild pressure... The hard part will be finding time to get the layout house ready to start constructing the layout. I'll have to paint a lot of paintings to pay for the house and renovations needed. The house comes with a 100 years old 110 seats theatre/cinema, where I'll have my studio/gallery, plus we intend to run the place as a mini cultural centre with concerts, theatre and films and so on. But I'll try to use the evenings in the train house to get some progress. And now before we move, I'll make perspective drawings of the different areas, to make modeling easier.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  2:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Inspired by all the nice comments, I've been busy this afternoon. Here are a couple of first 3D visualizations I've drawn of the right side, Teal's, and the long side, Convers. Some of the scratchbuilt buildings I've already made have found a (perhaps temporary) place. And I'm having SO much fun doing this! Modeling with a pencil is so much faster than all the time it will take to recreate what takes minutes to draw...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  3:02:14 PM  Show Profile
If you model as well as you draw this layout will be something to see. Great plans and to be able to take ideas and thoughts and put them into physical renderings is an amazing gift. It will be great fun to watch all this come about and I am sure you are ten times more excited than we are at the prospects of getting started.

Great Job

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  5:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Troels, I agree with the others about the first loop being better than the second version.
Your drawings of the projected landscape are very interesting, and only increase our eagerness to see you start the building of this layout.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  9:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Modeling with a pencil is so much faster than all the time it will take to recreate what takes minutes to draw...

Troels,

Beautiful plan and sketches. I see you are considering sliding the staging yard over to the left side of the door. Would this give you a meter or so more scenery to build? Possibly even room for a wye, with its tail in the space between Cranberry Wharf and Teal Light.

Are you thinking about building a mockup ... possibly one tenth the size of the layout to work out your sight angles and compositions?

Very nice,

Mark Chase

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  10:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Troels,

Such talents! I wish I could draw as well as you do. I am very much looking forward to the layout becoming a reality.

Arthur

Arthur

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  02:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Mark, I think I'd rather use the space on the right of the door for a bigger work table, shelves etc. I want to keep the project to a manageable size too. But I'm sure I'll disagree with myself many times too. I kind of have the mockup in my head, and will use pencil and paper to test the angles. I find that much easier than building small models. Sketching and visualizing is an essential part of my job as an artist painter.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  09:02:22 AM  Show Profile
I go along with the crew, Troels - only because on my last layout (many moons ago)
I had a hidden run-around (siding) and as stated, most, if not all of my derailments
occured there. You are a excellent artist, and I would bet that your ability to
pull this one off, is great. Geezer

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  07:45:41 AM  Show Profile
I like the plan and your alternate staging reverse loop in the shed idea.

Operationally it looks liek the plan revolves around picking up in bound freight from the various wharves and delivering out bound freight generated off the modeled layout to the wharves. One suggestion would be a coal handling facility with crane and storage sheds for inbound coal as seen in Two Foot to Togus. Maybe adding some industries to the scene would add variety. For example, if Maine how about a toothpick mill, slate mill or other consumer of raw materials? Just an idea to introduce some variety.

As a lover of the sea and coastal scenes I am jealous!

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000