Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line R.R. founded
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: clapper ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line R.R. founded
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs
Page: of 100

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  02:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Since there's still almost a month till we move to Sweden to live in our new house, AND I get to the house for the future Coast Line R.R, I've started serious sketching of track plans.
Here's the building, that will house the layout:

It is 33'x16.5', concrete floor and insulated walls/roof. I will probaly cut some 4-5 feet in the left end for a garden tool shed, so I now plan with an internal size of 28'x16'.
My preliminary design is inspired by Frary's Thatcher's Inlet and Art Fahie's Wharf Street. So I wanted the feeling of being in a boat in a bay in Maine in the 1930ies, looking towards the shore. There's water in front of all the scenery. A simple staging and reverse loop separated from the layout. No grades, and comfortable radii in the scenicked part, and 24'' in the reverse loop. I've tried to avoid cramming to much track in, but still have three stations, separated by small rivers. Track height will be quite high, so there's room under the staging for worktables and storage.

Any comments and ideas for improvement/redesign of this track plan is most welcome! Better get the kinks ironed out now than later!
Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Miles
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  03:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miles's Homepage
A very scenically impressive and operationally realistic and interesting layout, excellent job! Now move in and let's follow your progress!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile
It looks like a nice plan, full of scenic opportunities, Troels. I'm impatient to see you move in and start this layout.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 11/04/2008 07:51:31 AM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Troels,
From what I have seen of your modeling this is going to be one impressive layout. I like the view from the water as it gives you the perfect excuse to have all of your land forms slop down to the front of the layout.
My only thought would be can you move the return loop under the turntable area to give you more space in the workbench area?
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message
I am very excited and eager to see the "groundbreaking!"

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Troels,

Very nice .... we are all envious of the building .... I look forward to following this build ..

Tom M.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address
Troels,
Nice bit of design work. I like the plan too. Looks like you will have good visual and train running vistas. You mention height of the RR, mine starts at bench work at 49 inches, with track about about 52 inches off the floor, and for the most part my RR is hung off of shelves. I encountered some interesting issues (building wise) that I hadn't anticipated. What kind of bench work are you going to do?

Les

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Troels,

Great design. Should be something to enjoy for years to come. I can't wait for construction to begin but I suppose neither can you. It would be great for us all if we could enjoy a space that large for our layouts. Best wishes and congrats on the new home.

Jim T
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:48:02 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of a waterfront layout with lots of scenery and a simple track plan. I did have one thing come to mind looking at it. It would be nice if you could have a plan where the reverse loop and staging were both on one side of the door. That way you could then work off the layout making up trains, etc. and when the time came, connect to the main layout via the drop down bridge across the door. I agree with Larry, that if the return loop was under the turntable it would buy you a bunch more space.

Jim

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message
Troels,

After reviewing your track plan, I had to find something that I didn't like. After hours of study I figured out what it is, way to much water man I person can drown in that much water. Being a city slicker, I'd rather not see any water at all..........

Seriously, looks like you put a lot of thought into this plan and other that the comments posted above about the location of the reverse loop I wouldn't change a thing. Lots of operational challenges and great scenery potential. I also like the facy od the scenery sloping down from the back to the water level.

This is going to be one fun build to watch.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  2:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage
Hi Troels,
If some of the pics you have posted previously of your structures is anything tho ga by, this has the makings of an beautiful layout. I like the look of the venue...even has a bit of a freight house look about it, maybe weather the outside walls as well :)

I agree with Larry's comment on the loop, move it under the wharf area if you can. I know you said "no grades" (to help squeeze the loop inder the scenery), but you can never have enough bench space. I look forward to the progress.

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  2:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the positive reception. And I agree completely with the staging trouble. This is a preliminary sketch, and much will be solved when I start building. I like to have track pretty high (around 52-55'') so there's plenty of room for working at the table (which probably will be on wheels. Or perhaps I'll drop the garden shed in the end of the house... and gain five feet. Or... I hesitate with having any tracks hidden under the layout. I hate that. I hate crawling on my bad knees... And I'd like having no grades at all. That's why I didn't make any scenery on a whole, long wall. But if I could get the return loop and staging on only the right side of the door, I'd be much happier!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Troals

It looks great. If you have looked at any of my stuff you know I'm into water front.

A side benefit what ever medium you use for water if you finish with Future floor finish it makes a renewable surface for an occasional glass or layout building material that needs a resting place.

If you would put one more piece of track in on the left side you could have continues operation,not a bad thing for display or just running in equipment.

This weekend I had the opportunity to see a Thatchers Inlet module built by Sam Swanson, one of the premier modelers in this country,it was outstanding.

Terry H

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage
Troels....bad knees eh!.....well, how about Les' idea of raising the benchwork higher and then putting the reverse loop under Erickson's Wharf. You could access the one turnout on a small roller chair. Then put your staging yard on a curve beginning when the hidden track exists the layout at the turntable.
But, as I review the plan vs the door location on the shed, you seem to have MORE room on the left of the door than the right side. Is that because you need room for the shed?....why not a nice prefab garden shed free standing from your new layout structure?....(only a thought, Troels, but you did ask! tom

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage
BTW....with all my nonsense...I forgot to say....."very, very nice track plan"!.....I love the ratio of scenery to track!....very believable...can't wait to see a Forney mixed train going through your scenery!....tom

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Yeahh... I suppose I'll put the reverse loop under the turntable part. I won't move the Cranberry Wharf too much, since I want operating access and room for a tripod on both sides of the peninsula. The shed will have it's own door from the outside in the left end of the house. My dear wife suggested having the reverse loop on a shelf in the garden shed...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Sidewheel Aircraft Carriers! Topic Next Topic: Insul or Electro Frogs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.54 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000