Railroad Line Forums - Ground Cover
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 218 ]  [ Total: 221 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Ground Cover
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: OZsteam Topic Next Topic: Oil vs. Electric Lamps  

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ground Cover

Pot Topper:

Super Moss

Real Moss

Lichen

Tom M.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  5:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tom, et al
I use a variety of methods, from the twine to Silfor Tuffs. I am now comparing the Silfor Buffalo grass with pot toppers.

and

Yes I will be using both of these products along with the ground foam, ground up twigs and leaf debris, saw dust, and whatever else seems to work in the area.

This pic shows the tuff in use, the Buffalo grass could have been used here. Buffalo grass requires user to cut out pieces and shapes and gluing them down.

Les

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  01:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK you guys, you got me, what are pot toppers? Jerry

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  07:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jerry
Pot Toppers come in 4 and 6" circles intended for the florists use in flower arrangements. Buy then at Michaels in floral area. Use top side green for heavy bumpy grass areas. Not sure if any body had actually mounted/glued any of them to terrian yet though.

Les

Tombanjo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  08:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,
I've mounted pot toppers to terrain, I'll try and take some picks tonight. I found that as is they are too thick, but it was easy enough to take some scisors and cut them in half the long, so you get a green piece (usable) and a brown piece (jury is still out. I then cut them to shape and used them around a tunnel portal. It worked really well as I could tuck them into niches in the stonework, getting excellent coverage.

I do love the look of the new buffalo grass, though, much more to scale. I'll probably be picking up some of that. I also hit up the ground foam ,sand, dirt, varous deadfall and foliage and have a couple containers of various grades of sifted blended leaves that work great (time to go out to the lawn and get some more to hold me over the winter scenery season). I think the key to good ground cover is lots of variety.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  09:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Les I had never heard of them before,I do the same thing Tom the leaves work great........Jerry

Tombanjo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  11:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple shots of some pot toppers in action

Stuffed into some rockwork:

On a little slope:

There is a lot more detailing to do in these sections to integrate them into the scnery. One thing to note, the purple fuzz on the second picture is the fiber on the inside of the pot topper that is exposed when you cut them. I try to trim that back as best I can and, in this case, it will get covered with ballast

Dave

Edited by - Tombanjo on 10/14/2008 11:32:18 PM

Miles
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  01:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see that the Pot Topper is becoming popular! Your spot application is an excellent use and it looks really realistic.

Previous Topic: OZsteam Topic Next Topic: Oil vs. Electric Lamps  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000