Railroad Line Forums - The "Fall into Winter" Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 342 ]  [ Total: 342 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The "Fall into Winter" Challenge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Final pictures  for  Fall into Winter Topic Next Topic: SRMW Kendalls Construction Thread
Page: of 12

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  08:16:29 AM  Show Profile

The "Fall into Winter" Challenge.

The Challenge will be starting on October 1st and ending on December 21 st which is the first official day of winter.

This Challenge is for all scales and all types of modelers.

This will be a Challenge with a couple of choices so that as many members as possible may participate.

You will be awarded a credit for each part of the Challenge you complete.

The first Credit will be awarded to any member who scratch builds anything by the end of the Challenge.

This can be a structure, piece of rolling stock, a vehicle, some scenery etc.

To scratch build means that you do not start with a kit but maybe a picture, a set of plans or just wing it as you build.

Items such as windows and doors, trucks and couplers, wheels, extra details, etc may either be scratch built of purchased from manufacturers whichever best suits your needs.
You can use commercial siding or build board by board and board on board.

For those who have never scratch built anything, here are a couple of threads found on Railroad-Line posted by Bruce(Dutchman) which are simple projects for people just starting to scratch build.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7007

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13550

The second credit that can be earned by doing the following which was suggested to me by Tony Burgess (Nelson458).

"I like the idea of adding a scene, preferably with people, vehicles, etc. to a layout, model or diorama.
It can be a scene added to an existing built model, or an area on a layout, or stand alone.
It can be anything, a gathering of people around an accident, a parade about to start, planting a tree ceremony, sporting events, wedding gathering, pretty much anything."
Just make the scene look as if someone lives or works there.

Here are a couple of pictures Tony sent me to illustrate what he means by detailing a scene.

The third and final credit will be awarded to those who scratch build something and then incorporates it into a completed scene that tells a story.

You can also receive more than 3 credits by building multiple projects.

So please post your entry, thoughts, questions and ideas in this thread.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  08:32:08 AM  Show Profile
Let me jump in, John.
I've not been able to finish my Vance Junction diorama this summer, that is a possible challenge subject #1.
I have mentionned on the thread dedicated to my Sn3 layout my will to build a coal mining complex. This is a possible challenge subject #2 (with only scratchbuilt parts), although maybe a bit ambitious considering the time frame.
The miners of the complex will need accomodations, and I plan to install near the mine a series of 4 cabins, 2 sheds, 1 common kitchen house and 2 more spacious houses. While I don't think I could build them all in less than three months, the making of a part of this program is a good possible challenge subject #3.

Or maybe, a mix of the 3 subjects... I'll have to think of it.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 10/01/2008 08:36:59 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see your post Frederic to kick off the new Challenge.

My project will be to scratch build and then detail a scene of a structure that was originally posted by Danny Head in the "Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3" thread.
Danny also used this model for the Challenge just completed.

This is a structure found in Tennessee that I have actually seen from a distance but unfortunately has since been demolished.
I lightened these pictures a lot so the colors are off.

Danny's excellent scratch build from the last Challenge.

I will be using this structure to represent 2 real offices found in Nenana Alaska.

The right side will be the headquarters of the Alaska State Troopers in Nenana and the high windows on the side will have bars as they will represent holding cells for overnight visitors and also those awaiting their day in court.

The left side will be for the Nenana District Court and also the home of the Nenana city clerk.
The rear entrance on the side of the structure is the judges private entrance.

I will scratch built this with a method that is yet to be determined.
However my structure will be a newer and well maintained version of Dannys's build.

Danny sent me the plans he drew up and also some pictures to use for reference and for that I thank him.

As for detailing the scene, I wonder if they have chain gangs in Alaska.

John Bagley

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:48:59 AM  Show Profile
John, I am excited to see that this will be built as the basis for the offices you mentioned. I built this with the intentions of taking it to the next SER/NMRA contest. However, with my current dispute with the SER (not the NMRA), I will likely never be a part of that group again. So, it looks like my version will go to CSS08 and then be retired to the shelf. I know you will do an outstanding job in making this fit your place and era . Danny

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again John, now I can finish my dock scene with Bar Mills kit!!

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile

Hello,

I don't understand what the "credits" are. Could you please explain what they are used for?

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  5:17:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Osolinski

Hello,

I don't understand what the "credits" are. Could you please explain what they are used for?

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Hi Karl,
Actually the best and only answer is that the credits are not really for anything other than to maybe stimulate to members here to join in and have some fun and maybe scratch build a model.

I could have used points or apples but they all would have meant the same thing.

John Bagley

dash10
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  6:51:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm bored John, can I play? Do you post progress pictures? in this thread or another? Fred

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  7:54:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dash10

I'm bored John, can I play? Do you post progress pictures? in this thread or another? Fred

Sure Fred, come on in and play.
This is the thread where you post any and all construction pictures.

There will be a final picture thread for the Challenge which I will post soon since I doubt anyone is finished as I write this.

John Bagley

clif
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  9:17:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm in, I have a Builders in Scale, Sassen Vinegar Works that needs to be started, this is as good as an excuse I need to get off the couch and in the game.

That and finish the FSM, Barnstead Lumber I started a month ago.

That is about all I want to attempt between now the Christmas holidays.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  9:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage
Hey John,
I'll be getting into this one, especially since I helped with one idea. I just havn't come up with a good model to get into at this point, I have a couple of ideas, but nothing solid. So, I will let everyone know when my brain kicks over.

Till then,,

Tony Burgess

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  12:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I try to build 3 vehicles for each main building I complete for my dioramas. I will ďtry" to take a short break in the Blue Sky construction tread to build this fancy little sportster which I found this past weekend. This will count as one of the vehicles for the final Blue Sky scene. Below are some of the pictures Iíll be working from.

Iím looking forward to seeing what other folks come up with. Enjoy the challenge everyone.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

swissrails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  01:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissrails's Homepage
There is a great little freight house in the latest NG&SLG I may take on as a scratch model-it caught my eye--we will see if I get my shop off the ground (it is being re-built) in time; I really like the idea of the challenge, and the way it offers those of us who are newer to the group to get involved. Thanks, Peter (swissrails).

Peter (swissrails)

http://www.randomrailroad.blogspot.com

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  05:42:46 AM  Show Profile
Nice choice, Kris.
I've already been actively working on the challenge, but it's not very photogenic : 120' of various sizes of wood have been distressed, and I have concocted a new bottle of stain (the easy sort : alcohol + black India ink - which is called China ink in France...). The first recipe was a bit light and the second one is a bit dark so I'll have to dilute it and should finish with two new bottles of stain (the current one is totally full and cannot accept more than a teaspoon of alcohol...).

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  09:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Just in case anyone has completed the Challenge I have posted the final pictures thread.

The thread a sticky so it will be easy to locate once you complete you project.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23187

John Bagley

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage
It is about time I got back on with something in the hobby. I have not lifted a hobby knife in earnest in weeks.

My project will be in the form of filling a space. I have been starting the layout of my town and so far have the main street coming together with some DPM structures, a BEST storefront and my Minuteman Hobby shop. I have an odd shaped triangular area to fill on the track side of the main street. So I think I will attempt to scratch some storefronts facing the street and some tenement type structure backs facing the track. The red sharpie marks show the rough position of the sidewalks and the structures. The black sharpie is a previous idea that I have scrapped for now.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Final pictures  for  Fall into Winter Topic Next Topic: SRMW Kendalls Construction Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000