Railroad Line Forums - W. Homer's Ice House in 0 scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 275 ]  [ Total: 277 ]  [ Newest Member: HOn3Piffy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 W. Homer's Ice House in 0 scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Window bars or Barrotes Topic Next Topic: Stabben fyr A Norwegian Lighthouse
Page: of 2

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the newest finished building for the Coast Line 0n30 layout I'm planning. A small, scratchbuilt ice house, that just about accomodates two reefers at a time, plenty for the Coast Line needs. In addition it has a loading ramp on the back, for the delivery truck and local fishermen etc. I drew the house with a mix of features from several larger ice houses found in the American Heritage archives and in the East of Eden movie. The name of course a tribute to one of my inspirational heroes as a painter, Winslow Homer.

The buildings were made from styrene, with Tichy windows and doors. The green asphalt rolled roofing is strips of Canson Mi-Teintes green pastel paper. The loading platform is from wood strips, and the ice is clear acrylic sanded "frosty" in puddles of gloss medium. The big sign was made from a laser cut paper alphabet found in a craft store.

The tiny office has a fully detailed interior, down to a pencil and tiny order book with real sheets on the table. It's (barely) visible in the night picture.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Job! Danny

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,

I like the weathered look that you've achieved on the ice house.

What did you used for those exterior lights?

Bruce

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kirk, I LOVE it! Of course I love icing stations of all sorts. The construction is done very well and the lettering certainly is innovative. I feel inspired. I would like to know how you did the night photograph. I have a relatively simple digital camera, so maybe mine is not capable of taking a decent night shot, but still I would like to try. Maybe I have to mess with too many settings? If you have some good tips, it might help us.
Again, a beautiful job.
Regards, Vic Bitleris

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great modelling Kirk.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful model and excellent photography. Thank you!

Don

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking scratchbuild. You did a fantastic job Troels.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's just beautiful and some very nice camera work as well!

Are those gates for loading / transferring the ice actually hinged by some chance??

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to,
while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  1:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for kind comments!
Bruce, I used three white LED's in series on the platform, with a too big resistor to dim the lights a little. Inside the office is a grain of wheat.
Vic, I used the building's own lights plus a small table light at a distance for the moonlight. I had the camera on a sturdy tripod, and used manual focus and exposure settings. Since my camera has a larger sensor than most pocket digitals, it has a longer focal length lens, with the corresponding narrower depth of focus. I compensate for that by taking a series of shots with the focus at the different parts of the structure. Then the shots are combined in the computer with a software called Helicon Focus. But with a camera like the one you own, the depth of field is most often sufficient, and you just have to experiment with different settings. But don't set the ISO too high, as this often gives big noise grain problems.
mwbpequod, I cheated and didn't hinge them. Just tacked them on lightly with ACC, so for later "action" shots, I can easily break them loose and reposition... In the vintage photos I have, there's no real evidence of hinges, other than a bolt head or two, so I didn't bother.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  1:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another wonderful scratchbuilt structure, Troels. Very nice.

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  1:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Job! It's a "cool" structure, especially, like your green rolled roof.

Jim

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  8:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent build!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  9:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,
Wow, anouther excellent scratch build. You are going to to have one fine looking town in no time.
Lars

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another beautiful structure Troels, I have to ask, are you building these in the short time between posts or do you have a stash that you have been working on and just bring a new one out every week or so???

Great weathering throughout and on the 'hinged' loaders also very nice signage. It looks to be a very nicely proportioned structure, is this your own design or based on a prototype?

Great work again.

Karl.A

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  01:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, no I can't do magic! But I don't have a stash either! I re-entered the hobby about mid june this summer, and had almost no tools, no supplies, no nothing aboard my boat home. Since scratchbuilding is rare in Denmark, and 0n30 even rarer, much of the time has been spent waiting for parcels from the UK and USA. I did a lot of reading, going through the many exiting historic photo archives online, to get to know the east coast building style and narrow gauge lines, and reread the old Dave Frary stuff, that many years ago turned my interest towards the east coast scene. Then I began sketching fictional structures I'd like to make, trying to get the feel of the Maine/Bay of Fundy area architecture. Only my Ericssons wharf will be identifiable as a real place in Nova Scotia, although modified quite a bit. So I've worked on several projects at a time in the manic rush of enjoyment of getting back in the hobby... and present them to forum as they are finished and photoed....
Since I'm now entering a season of teaching and exhibitions in my professional work, there sadly will be much less time to model, and there's only one more structure nearing completion so far...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  09:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wowsa! That is an amazing structure!

Philip

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Window bars or Barrotes Topic Next Topic: Stabben fyr A Norwegian Lighthouse  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000