Railroad Line Forums - Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: CNR 6218 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys
Page: of 24

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  5:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Walt, for posting pictures of Karl's usual great modelling, and also to give us a hint about why he's not been posting on the forum for such a long period.

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  08:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl did an excellent job. I was wondering where he had been. Hopefully he'll get back on soon.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  7:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike:

very nicely done. Like all your color combinations. Looks great.

Karl S.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  9:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

I've been chipping away at the Tobacconist Shop. It's going to be one of my contest entries at the NMRA Keystone Division Jamboree, on 3/21. I'll place it on one of the re-useable diorama bases I built. Still much to do but here are a few progress pictures.

I did the front porch roof and the first floor roof with the new RSSM tar paper. I like it a lot. I still need to "tar" the seams and the patches and chalk everything, but I think the final result will be good. (I'm going to use Liquid Leading on the main/older seams and Gloss Black on the newer patches.)

I did the cedar shingles per MikeC's tutorial and I love the results. And it's really an idiot proof method.

I held off doing the front porch roof because I wasn't sure I wanted to install it and hide most of the posters in the windows. I considered a smaller awning but finally decided that Walt's design would look best.

I had some left-over metal roofing material so I did the back porch roof with that. It still needs the Sennelier powdered paint pigment treatment. The two outhouses also have weathered metal roofs.

Here's the pictures. I'll post some more after it's finished and installed on the base and some scenery n'at added.

Don

I made the floor removeable so I can add lights. I had to do a little redesigning of the back porch roof to make it work:

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  11:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats looking fantastic Don, I really like the blue/green? colour you used on the front wall, it really looks 'appropriate' if that makes sense, I sometimes struggle with colour choice. I'll be looking forward to you next set of pictures and the diorama setting.

This was a great kit which I really enjoyed building, thanks to Walt for posting my pics for me, and thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  03:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice building Don. The green front and worn red sides are looking good. And your reworking of the porch is a clever solution to your "removability" problem.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments!

Regarding the color of the front - I'm embarassed to report that I have no clue what colors I used.

Garth - former chemist - keeps a meticulous "lab notebook" on his wood-working and I have something similar for my model building. Trouble is, there's nothing in mine. I lack the disciplined habit. I really should do better. But, then, as my first aikido teacher said, "Nobody deserves to get should on."

Right now, I'm working on the FSM 105 piledriver for a client but I'll get back to the Tobacconist shop diorama this evening.

Thanks again,

Don

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,

The TS is looking really nice. As the others have said, the colors you've achieved are really pleasing (even if you can't remember what you used).

Bruce

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  08:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,

Your rendition of the TS kits looks great and I'm glad you did "Your own thing" with it; even if you can't remember what that was! Colors look great and glad you like the new Tarpaper material.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  5:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don very nice job on Reed & Deyoung. I also like the color combination. Great weathering job all around.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  8:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job, Don. I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

I did the cedar shingles per MikeC's tutorial and I love the results. And it's really an idiot proof method.

That's because the method was developed by an idiot!

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

I'm working on having the Tobacconist ready to enter in the Popular Vote contest at the Jamboree this weekend. I made another re-usable diorama base especially for this diorama. Well, actually, for any diorama that has track on it.

I made the sides a bit thicker so the track would "die" into the sides rather than having the cut-off ends visible above the base. I also made it from some scrap maple (courtesy of Garth) and some mahogany that I had left from when I made practice swords for people.

Here's a progress picture. The base of the Tobacconist is held in place by a couple of drywall screws but the building itself is still removeable for transport. The whole thing is swathed in plastic wrap so the scenery material won't glue it in place.

More later.

Don

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  04:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice diorama design, Don, but could an accomplished woodworker like you do less than that. The clear protection on the building seems a nice idea, even for non removable structures, which could be efficiently protected with material used to isolate food from air (which would certainly allow for a very tight wrap on the base). Thanks for the idea.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

I took Walt's suggestion re mounting the loading ramp, which was to glue the scenery and then pull the ramp out before the glue set fully. It worked like a champ - I was able to put the ramp back into the holes this morning with no problem and it looks like it really belongs there.

Here's a progress picture (or two):

I still have some tweaking of the scenery to do, some details to paint and install, and (the biggie) have to put the front porch roof on, which involves some fussy bending, cutting and gluing of wires.

I'm afraid the Indian isn't going to the Jamboree but I'm also entering this model at the Midwest Narrow Gauge show (3/27-28) and I'll do the figure before then.

Don

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

I took Walt's suggestion re mounting the loading ramp, which was to glue the scenery and then pull the ramp out before the glue set fully. It worked like a champ - I was able to put the ramp back into the holes this morning with no problem and it looks like it really belongs there.

Don, ole Walt does come up with some good suggestions from time to time, doesn't he? Our namesake looks good on your diorama.

Good luck over the next few weekends!

Bruce

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000