Railroad Line Forums - Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: crossbuck ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys
Page: of 24

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  5:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's one terrific job on both the shop and the Indian, Mike.

Bruce

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  5:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there is one error, maybe two, in the instruction manual plus I left out some stripwood.

The directions are wrong on page 64.
Page 64 calls for:

1. Five 4x4's 32'-0" long. This is incorrect.
You want "five 4x4's 14'-6" long."

2. Twenty-three 2x8's to be cut for the Boardwalk. I didn't include any 2x8's in the kit. Sorry. Actually I think I used 1x10's on my boardwalk but trying to get the kit out the door for all you hungry modelers I missed that one too.

Cut 23 pieces of 2x8 - 11'-0" long. If you decide to use leftover 1x10 you only need 16 pieces.

If you need the pieces of 2x8 drop me a email and I'll get them out to you.

Again, sorry for the error but I'm an old man trying to do too much.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

Edited by - Rusty Stumps on 11/30/2008 5:50:49 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  6:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this indian too...

Larry Baker
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  6:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work as usual, Mike. I always enjoy seeing your models.

Walt, I'm sure I can scrounge up some 2 x 8's. It is a disappointment however to find out that you'r not perfect. In my manual the error was on page 67.

Edited by - Larry Baker on 11/30/2008 6:52:22 PM

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Baker

Walt, I'm sure I can scrounge up some 2 x 8's. It is a disappointment however to find out that you'r not perfect. In my manual the error was on page 67.

Larry, The error was on Page 67 in my manual also. I was just checking to see who was reading this post!

Perfect, who ME? Heck no; just ask my wife!

Walt

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  7:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since i am waiting for the wharf kit and plan on having these structures butt up against the wharf maybe eliminating the need for a boardwalk, I never found the error that was mentioned nor do I need any 2 x 8's for I have plenty of stipwood on hand.

After reading the instructions on page 67 they do look very familiar to some I have read in the past.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  7:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, guys. The cigar store Indian is a neat little casting that Walt cobbled together for this kit. All I did was trim a little bit of resin flash here and there and then paint the Indian.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  09:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you nailed them both - that last pic looks so real that I thought for a moment........nah, couldn't be.

Elliott

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  11:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elliott. I was pleased with the way it all turned out. But like I said, the diorama itself is just something I put together in about 5 minutes. Nothing is even attached or glued to the base. Good thing I didn't sneeze while taking the photos.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  2:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Mike, Those really neat laser cut wood benches are also included in the kit!

Walt

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  10:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Walt, for an unfinished diorama it looks dang good.

Mike, when I look at the indian I can't help wanting to sing that song. Ole Kalija (sp) all you need now is an Indian maiden for the chief.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I build my photo dioramas like Mike does. I had a customer ask the other night, yes they do call at night sometimes, what I used to glue up some items? I told him the facts. I glue it up generally so it will stay together until I can get the photo shot done!

The one I'm building the Wharf kit on has been used for both of the product shots for the Boarding House and Tobacconist's Shop kits. Trees planted and replanted. Now I have to start doing it as a more permanent diorama. The additional problem I'm having is I'm getting a collection of dioramas. Somethings going to have to go!

Ole Kalija is a good theme song for the Cigar Store Indian on the TS kit. Not sure where I can find an indian maiden for him to stare at. Maybe that indian maiden could sit in front of the Mike Chambers Pawn Shop that will be two doors down from the Tobacconist's Shop?

Walt

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that should be Rod Steiger's Pawn Shop. Or maybe just Steiger's Pawn. (I wonder how many would get the joke.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UKGuy (Karl A) started this thread but got waylaid by some buisness that he needed to attend to. Karl sent me a CD with all his build photos plus photos of his finished rendition of the Reed & DeYoung Tobacconist's Shop Kit. I'll post them here now for your review:

Karl did a really great job on his version. I like his diorama as it reminds me of the South, particularly Florida and some of the outback regions there.

Karl will return to RR-L as soon as his business dealings are straightend out. Hope everyone enjoys his work.

Walt

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  08:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Karl did a great job on the build and diorama! I hope that he finds the time to get back on the forum soon.

Bruce

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000