Railroad Line Forums - Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: CNR 6218 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys
Page: of 24

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mike -- I downloaded and printed it this morning before leaving for CSS08. We made the trip in good time, got Jim Sacco unloaded, and I had a nice time at the RR-line get-together. And now to crawl into bed and read your tutorial.

I took the kit with me and hope to make some progress with here in Foxboro.

Don

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  7:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MikeC,
For taking the time and effort to put up your tutorial on weathering shingles. I've downloaded it and have it saved to disk. I'm going to try your method when I get around to the roof for my Elkhorn building project.

Thanks again for sharing your talents with the rest of us.

Michael

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  8:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, guys, and I hope you find the tutorial useful.

As far as working on the TS kit goes, I got sidetracked with one thing and another these past couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get back to it and finish it all up pretty soon. I'm really eager to see what it looks like when placed against the Boarding House in a diorama setting.

mikeLV
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  8:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thank you for the tutorial. I've printed it out and will go through it tomorrow. What a professional presentation! Great job!

Mike

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  9:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

I've been working away on the Tobacco Shop - just being lazy about posting.

I actually did some work on it while at CSS08 - here are a couple of pictures taken in the motel room:

Putting those teeny-wienie props in the opened windows at this stage of construction was not a good idea. In fact, it was a really DUMB idea. I broke just about every one of the little twice before I gave up repairing them. I'll do them over again when absolutely everything else is done.

I finally got the basic assembly done. Walt recommends rubber bands but I didn't have any of the right size so I used quick clamps:

I've been adding window trim, trimming out the front wall, etc. I still have some corner trim to do:

Still plenty more to do, of course. I think this kit gives you an extraordinary amount of "play value" for your money. There are a very large number of pieces that have to be cut and glued in place, providing many hours of interesting work. I think I'm going to develop a system for rating craftsman kits based on their IBPPD score. (Itty-Bitty Pieces Per Dollar)

Don

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  10:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Don.

Your comment about the rating system reminded me of when I was in the service way back when and had access to the Navy Exchanges on Taiwan and the AF Exchanges in Japan. My buddies and I developed a similar system for rating stereo amps and receivers being sold in the various exchanges. We decided the more knobs and buttons and knob/button positions per dollar, the better the piece of equipment. I don't remember the nomenclatures now, but I think a Sansui and a Kenwood quadraphonic receiver were in a virtual tie with about 40 knobs/buttons/positions apiece at about $180 for each receiver. I got a Pioneer quad unit that wasn't too far behind, with 32 knobs/buttons/positions for about the same price. But I had a 'tin ear' and couldn't tell the difference in sound for the money. I just liked the wood grain cabinet on the Pioneer better. Well, enough of that.....

I also got back to work on this kit today. I got the frame for the rear 'canopy' built but then had to pick everything up so my wife could go pick up our granddaughter and bring her to our house for a couple of hours. I'll get back to it tomorrow... I'm getting close to finishing up.

And Don, you're right - there is a lot of cutting and gluing of small pieces. Since I love board-by-board construction (even with cardstock subwalls), that's a good thing. It is interesting.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Don, not sure you idea would be a good one. My reason is it would encourage kit manufactures to put in lots and lots of very small pieces of wood and such in order to get a higher rating. Think of trying to sort through precut lengths of stripwood siding and window trim. Of course it would also be a way of getting rid of all those trim ends we seem to gather. Hmmm, now you have me thinking!

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  3:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mike and Walt --

I think the IBPPD system has potential for being a PhD dissertation.

Walt, you wouldn't have to pre-cut the pieces. Just supply stripwood in the normal way but count how many itty-bitty pieces you wind up with after you've done the proof build.

I'm going to do a count on the Tobacco Shop once it's finished. I'll be there's well over a thousand pieces. Especially since each strip of shingles counts as a piece. For example, each double-hung window consists of 9 pieces - two sashes, two pieces of acetate, one sill, one apron, and three pieces of 1x4 trim.

Don

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, guys, it's finished... at least as finished as it's going to get for the time being. Without an actual spot on the layout ready yet, the shop will be heading for the Orphan's Shelf along with the few detail castings I have yet to paint.

For those who might not be familiar with this kit, the 'cigar store Indian' does come with the kit. It's a resin casting. After cleaning up a small amount of flash and spraying the casting with Floquil Earth, I googled 'cigar store Indian' for some ideas about painting and 'appropriate' colors. I found plenty of examples to pick from. I used craft store acrylics, 3 small brushes, and a light wash of brown alcohol to color the casting.

First, here are a couple of photos of the structure by itself.

And here it is with the Boarding House (also part of the Kelly's Landing series from RSSM.) The base is a quickie diorama that I put together in about 5 minutes so a few extra photos could be shot the tobacconist's shop.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  2:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks fabulous, Mike. A pretty complete looking model to me!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great guys, now I know where I can find some tabacco for me peace pipe.

Congrats on completing the diorama Mike, it has nice western look to it. Well done.

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  3:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, The diorama isn't complete (yet).... there are three more buildings to go plus the Wharf. Mike isn't doing the Wharf in his rendition though.

Mike, Looking good. I see you did your own thing with the rear canopy support, nice touch. Your indian looks fancier than mine.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  3:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two structures look really good sitting side by side and completed.

I just need to find what a typical Athabascan Indian looks like all dressed up so that I can paint my cigar store Indian.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  4:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. This was an interesting kit to assemble - especially doing all of the clapboard siding board-by-board. Combined with the window options, it really allows for some variation in the overall look.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  4:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike the tobacco shop looks great. I really like the Indian.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000