Railroad Line Forums - Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: johnbell238@aol.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rusty Stumps' - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys
Page: of 24

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  09:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I know my latest 'new starts' have begun with a picture of a perfectly clean desk, no clutter and plenty of space to 'spread out'. But this one arrived mid-flow in Chambers point and how could I resist? (despite my vow of never again starting a new project until the current one was complete, or atleast almost complete )

Yes, like some others I do most of my work in a 4" x 4" 'clear' space on my bench with everything else , ummmm , 'close to hand'.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Upon opening the box (and clearing enough room) I was greeted with a very nicely packaged set of components. After 18 months of scratchbuilding since I joined RRL it was nice to find everything together in one box and ready for action for a change.

Here are the contents of the box, laser cut walls and details, a large detailed instruction book and some cast details.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Walt had included some disposable “shot glasses” for those moments when I just want to sit back at the bench , take a sip, and imagineer….

The details included in the kit are shown below, very little flash and crisp detail, I hope I can do these justice.

Karl.A

Side note to self:- upon reading the ‘list of contents’ it appears that the “shot glasses” are actually for mixing paint,stains and glue in….. oh well.

Edited by - UKGuy on 09/12/2008 09:44:05 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

For some reason, the title of this thread caught my attention. I'll be following along with interest.

Bruce

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  10:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl: I'm looking forward to following along on this project.

John

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  10:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl you lucky dog you. Great structure to build, I'll be following your every move. Thanks for posting this one!
Say, do you ever spill anything on that keyboard?????

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 09/12/2008 10:39:00 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some pre-production test fitting for Walt and can testify how well designed this kit is. Of course, I didn't get all of the fancy packaging....

Karl, you just thought you were getting away from scratch building. Wait until you start adding the siding strips.

I'm glad to see you start this construction thread. Hopefully, others who have the kit will join in now.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  5:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Great looking kit with lots of potential for 'bashing'. Looking forward to following your thread with keen interest.
Peter

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  5:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like a very nice kit, Karl. The shape of the building is fine, and the detail parts provided should help you make a great model, as usual.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  9:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
My shop was shipped today and should be here on Monday.
So I will hopefully be able to join in as the current Challenge ends on Monday and I will need a new project to keep me busy.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  9:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Karl --

I got the e-mail yesterday telling me that my kit was in the mail. I'll definitely try to join in this thread, if I can get the narrow gauge bridge wrapped up.

Don

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  5:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the talent ganging up on this kit, this is going to be one really neat build to watch. Looking forward to it guys... So lots of pics and hints...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  8:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I cant imagine why Bruce.... You and Don must have done something right.

Good to have you on board JohnJ

Thanks Louis, surprisingly the keyboard has stayed surprisingly clean, although it(and the mouse) are cordless so I usually just move them off the desk if the need arrises.

Well Mike, as nice as the 'fancy packaging' is it's whats in the package that counts, kinda like the ladies but I backtracked and erased all of those similies, I have a habit of typing myself into corners. After the last 5 scratches of board-by-board clapboard I thought a kit would be nice to get away from that for a change, but hey, atleast someone else cut most of the wood for me

Thanks Peter, the potential is definitely there but I'll be building this one 'by the book' so to speak.

Thanks Frederic, I really like that "as usual" end to your post.

John & Don, I hope your boxes arrive shortly so you can join in with me on this build.

You know me Kris, everytime I make a brush stroke I post a pic of it, so lots of pics shouldnt be a problem.

Hopefully some progress pics later tonight.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 09/13/2008 8:20:44 PM

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  8:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twelve orders went out Friday on the TS kit. I'm waiting for a large order of stripwood from Northeastern that I was assured will be here Monday. With that hopefully the balance of the kits on order will go out by mid-week. Meanwhile the laser cutter and the casting are going full-storm.

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  8:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee Karl, at least the box fits on your workbench

Looks like a good kit. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Looking forward to additional pictures.
I hope to start mine on Tuesday after the Challenge ends on Monday and it looks like I will be working on my Challenge project right up to the deadline.

I plan on making one change on the structure so that it will be an exact copy of the one Al Armitage did in the May/June 1987 NG&SLG from which Walt used his plans.

My front will be done with horizontal siding similar to the side walls in the kit.

I also plan to do my peeling paint look since Reed and De Young are cheapskates and haven't spent much money keeping the building painted.
I guess that is because Bruce has his "Dutchman's Texaco" and Don has his "Slaughterhouse & Gallery" already on my layout which means they don't spend much time or money at this little shop.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  9:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is getting to be pretty interesting. It's been a long time since we've had a 'group construction' thread running, but maybe Walt's little "TS" kit is what it takes to get another one started.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Barbed Wire making - How-to Topic Next Topic: HO Pulleys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000