Railroad Line Forums - Lou's Cowboy Hat _How-to
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 174 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Lou's Cowboy Hat _How-to
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Welding Shop Topic Next Topic: Jaks Industries  

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  11:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There had been questions about making hats in the past, that I replied to on other threads. I will use this thread to show a How-to on one of the ways I construct a cowboy hat.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  11:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m doing this how-to so I can share with you, and have you see, one of the ways how I make HO 1/87th cowboy hats. I follow the illustration below as far as constructing and mounting the hat.

I use K&S Engineering Company .001 shim brass for the hat brim. I use a leather punch with the 3/16” hole punch to punch out the hat brim as shown in the center of this picture. The brass circle punched out of the .001 brass sheet.

I use this Quick Set Epoxy to make the hat crown, and also sticking it to the filed flat figures head. Using a toothpick I build up the crown on top of the punched out brass washer until it looks right, and then let the epoxy dry. I used a Life-Like jackhammer working figure for my cowboy.

The next four pictures show the cowboy hat painted Apple Barrel Antique White. And, how the hat looks attached to the flattened figures head and formed/shaped, by bending up the sides, and bending down the front and rear of the hat.

But, you say you don’t want your cowboy to be a jackhammer worker that he should be out on the range, like a cowboy was raised to be doing. Well, let us get rid of his jackhammer, and make him a little more cowboy like. After cutting away the jackhammer, I painted his top/shirt brown, and his bottom/paints denim blue. Now we have a cowboy!

“But wait”.
Any good respectable cowboy would own a horse. So next we will have to give his horse a saddle blanket, a saddle and a bridle. Then we will have one very happy cowboy.

I would only hope that you enjoyed this how-to, and was able to get something from my process of making these type of hats. Thanks for taking a look.

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 09/12/2008 12:06:23 AM

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  1:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the hat and how-to, Lou.

My hat's off to you.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  5:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrell

Nice job on the hat and how-to, Lou.

My hat's off to you.

Thanks Terrell for your comments.

Louis

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  6:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff Lou but now how about a saddle? ;)

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  7:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chester

Great stuff Lou but now how about a saddle? ;)

Chester thanks for your kind word. At the moment our cowboy is a bare-back rider. We will have to do something about that.

Louis

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  7:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another great how-to Louis, and its not only cowboys that wear those hats, down here I see plenty of them, a great detail for any era/area. Thanks for the step-by-step, I'll have to try this out on the guys head I just ripped off with some needle nose pliers 'cos I was too lazy to find my razor saw......... now where did I put that head....

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Another great how-to Louis, and its not only cowboys that wear those hats, down here I see plenty of them, a great detail for any era/area. Thanks for the step-by-step, I'll have to try this out on the guys head I just ripped off with some needle nose pliers 'cos I was too lazy to find my razor saw......... now where did I put that head....

Karl.A

Thanks Karl for your comments.
(I'll have to try this out on the guys head I just ripped off with some needle nose pliers 'cos I was too lazy to find my razor saw......... now where did I put that head....)
You're to funny.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Louis...

Great thread...Hooray for hats! I not only wear them myself, I like my guys to wear them to.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Russ. When you model the 30's thru 50's Northwest era, all and any ideas for hats are for me.

Louis

Previous Topic: Welding Shop Topic Next Topic: Jaks Industries  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000