Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  4:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice modeling Tom. Love your trees and scenery. Also the weathering and painting on those porters is excellent.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  4:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Tom, the corrugated roof is made from Rusty Stumps material... I just painted it in various rusty and black acrylics. When I finish detail the diorama, I'll give it a coat of super matte acrylic varnish and sprinkle on som dry pastel scrapings in the wet varnish. All the other rusty metal flash is my usual brown pastel paper with the acrylic treatment.

Thanks Troels. I have a project for the Lionel layout at our local museum to do and I am going to give it a try. I had been making corrugated metal for the On30 sugar train from pieces of aluminum foil pressed on a corrugated jig but that is rather tedious particularly in these larger scales. I like the Rusty stumps idea and the brown pastel paper with acrylics. Thanks for the help!!!

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Very nice modeling and photos. I enjoy them a lot.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. This has been a very enjoyable project and a lot of fun using all the wild Caribbean colors.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  4:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Very nice modeling Tom. Love your trees and scenery. Also the weathering and painting on those porters is excellent.

Thanks so much for the positive strokes. It is appreciated!! On30 is a new scale for me. I got all the ideas for modeling from this very informative site.

Thanks, Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/30/2009 6:36:29 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  10:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, very unique and very well done!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  06:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Very interesting, very unique and very well done!

Thank you sir. This has been a fun project.

Here is a prototype picture from the Rail Road in Haiti.

Doc Tom

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  07:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seeing those paintings, I can see where your inspiration to model has come from. Looks like you really enjoyed this adventure...thanks for sharing it with us....tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  2:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sullivan

Seeing those paintings, I can see where your inspiration to model has come from. Looks like you really enjoyed this adventure...thanks for sharing it with us....tom

Thanks Tom. Haitian art is very colorful and vibrant. In fact the artisans in Haiti make most of the objects of art sold throughout the Caribbean. I love the colors.

I also like that the Haitian RR was really 30" narrow guage and operated steam locomotives. Although they used Bagasse (pressed sugar cane) for fuel rather than the coal, wood and oil our USA lokies enjoyed. Take a look at the tender in this prototype shot from the 1950's in Port au Prince. You can see the stacked sugar cane "fuel."
Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  8:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I have been slowly working along on the Haiti Sugar micro. Here is the latest building for the very congested Port au Prince, Haiti.

This is a background building of a corrugated metal wharehouse. It is right behind the Le Petit Mec store.

It was constructed using foam core board and covered with Paper Creeks printed metal siding. Hope you like it.
Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  9:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  07:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the latest model creation on the On30 sugar hauler set in Haiti in the 1920's.

Haiti is a very hot tropical country in the Caribbean. A bustling business sprang up on the streets of Port au Prince to sell shaved ice with syrup flavoring to help keep people a little cool. These "fresco" sellers are all over the place.

I scratchbuilt this very little model and the fresco seller is "hawking" his refreshing drinks in the street scene slowly developing outside the Le Petit Mec.

I have included some "prototype shots" so you can see what I was trying to model.

Doc Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  08:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, thanks for the pictures. You're capturing the look and feel of the prototype perfectly. Do you have an overall picture of the layout?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  08:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Wonderful. You've captured the atmosphere perfectly.
Peter

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Tom, thanks for the pictures. You're capturing the look and feel of the prototype perfectly. Do you have an overall picture of the layout?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the encouragement.I just took a photo of the overall Port au Prince scene. You can see this a micro layout......yet I have had fun packing in a lot of details in a small space.

The second shot is a a view from the side that shows the unfinished Leogane area that will be rural Haiti where the sugar cane grows and gets transported by rail to the mill in PAP.

I will trim out this small layout in a rusted corrugated plastic that looks like corrugated metal to pick up all the rusting roofs and old buildings.

I am also adding a prototype shot of homes on a hillside in Port au Prince that inspired the main scene.

Thanks for looking.
Doc Tom

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000