Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom,
What Sony do you have and which lens? I am not getting anything close to these pictures out of my Sony digital SLR.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  1:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Doc Tom,
What Sony do you have and which lens? I am not getting anything close to these pictures out of my Sony digital SLR.
Larry

Hi Larry,

Yes, the SONY is a Cyber-Shot DSC-H50. It has a Carl Zeiss 2.7-4.5/5.2-78 Vario- Tessar lens that comes with the camera.

Hope this is helpful.
Doc Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great close-up, Tom.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  7:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PIGS and PORTERS

I wanted to model a scene depicting the FAUNA of Haiti. Here we see the ubiquitous Haitian Creole Black Pig munching on the decaying pressed sugar cane strewn all about the HASCO mill.The pigs pay no attention to the hard working Porters heading to the mill. These are interesting little critters and I thought you might enjoy this from Wikipedia:

"The Creole Pig was a breed of pig indigenous to the Caribbean nation of Haiti. Creole pigs were well adapted to the rugged terrain and sparse vegetation of Haiti. The pig’s resilience allowed Haitian peasants to raise these pigs with little resources. The peasants characterized their pigs as never getting sick.
Creole pigs served as a type of savings account for the Haitian peasant: They were sold or slaughtered to pay for marriages, medical emergencies, schooling, seeds for crops, or a vodou ceremony. The resillience and boisterous nature of the pigs, as well as their incorporation into vodou folklore and the oral history of the Haitian revolution, made them a symbol for the independence and personality of the Haitian people."

A picture of the real McCoy Pig follows the modeled shots.
Doc Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, it's always a pleasure to discover and read your posts, with their so interesting mix of real facts and of modelling rendition of them.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  5:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Fantastic details and the pigs are a detail rarely seen.
Peter

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  6:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pigs you got there Doc. So were did you get them?

I really like the switch stand as well.

There are so many interesting details on your micro.

My current build:

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  7:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback.....it does provide a lot of encouragement. That is one thing I really like about this site, not only a lot of great ideas, but tons of encouragement.

Frederic- History is so fascinating to me. In Haiti there is little to do but spend the evenings talking about the Haitian History and the present political "situation." Haitian's love to talk!!! That is where I learned the Haitian Pig story and just had to model it.

Peter- "O" scale allows all this interesting modeling. It would have been very hard to pull this off convincingly on my previous HO pike.

Lars- . I cannot recall where the pigs came from as far as model manufacturer. I do recall they were in a bag of "barnyard animals" that included cows and goats. Sorry for this slip of memory.

Here is a B&W shot I hope to send to my Haitian friends and ask them what part of Port au Prince this is before letting them in on the fact that it is a model. Should be interesting to see what response I get.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  8:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE HASCO MILL GETS A WATER TANK

The Haitian American Sugar Company in downtown Port au Prince, Haiti recently got a water tank to use in processing sugar cane hauled in by the little Porter locomotives. It appears to have aged rather instantly in the salty Caribbean air. The red and blue are the predominant colors of the Haitian flag and in a patriotic spirit are seen all over Haiti.

Hope you like the pics.

Doc Tom

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  8:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent water tank, is it a kit or scratch?

My current build:

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  01:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks quite nice, Tom.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  02:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fine addition to a very charming layout!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  06:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for looking at this ongoing "micro" project.

Lars- The tank is a completed HO kit taken from the junk box at the local RR club......with membership permission of course. We have a huge # of donated and retired HO models. The HO ladders and railings were removed and the tower cut down. I tried the "sea salt" technique to make the pitted rust on the tank.

Frederic- Thanks for all the positive feedback.It is appreciated.

Troels- Thanks for your note. I use a lot of rusted corrugated metal on these Haitian structures and noted the same on your recent wool merchant on your excellent site. What paper product or technique did you use to make the nicely rusting corrugated metal?

Doc Tom

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  11:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice modeling and photos. I enjoy them a lot.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  2:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, the corrugated roof is made from Rusty Stumps material... I just painted it in various rusty and black acrylics. When I finish detail the diorama, I'll give it a coat of super matte acrylic varnish and sprinkle on som dry pastel scrapings in the wet varnish. All the other rusty metal flash is my usual brown pastel paper with the acrylic treatment.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000