Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  7:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow,
More great pictures! I love this micro.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  8:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!! Don't know how I missed this thread until now

Great modeling Dr Tom. Comparing the real photos with the model photos you have definitely captured the feel of Haiti. Looking forward in seeing more of this macro as it develops.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  06:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Thanks for looking, Tom. It's not a serious matter, anyway.
Nice new shots. How did you make the palms on the trees?

The palm fronds are made from artificial plant leaves from Walmart. Here is the article I used to get me started on making them www.bigindoortrains.com/primer/glitterhouses/seaside/palm_tree/palmtrees.htm
Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  06:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

WOW!!!! Don't know how I missed this thread until now

Great modeling Dr Tom. Comparing the real photos with the model photos you have definitely captured the feel of Haiti. Looking forward in seeing more of this macro as it develops.

Thanks. The "prototype" for the Le Petit Mec store is this interesting two story structure in Jacmel Haiti. I love the "witches hat" on the building and when completed my model will have a red one too.
Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here the little Porter is backing her train out of Port au Prince and in to the Haitian countryside on the other side of the micro layout.This side is yet to be modeled.

Rural Haiti has its own charm and I have included a few prototype pictures including this rural distillery where "Clarin" moonshine rum is made from sugar cane. I am looking forward to building it along the RR.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  10:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

A little more work done this week on the little Sugar Hauler in the Caribbean.

The small store I have been working on in downtown Port au Prince now sports 2nd story railings to keep folks from falling on the tracks below.

Also curtains are hung in the doorways for privacy and a chance for sleep in this bustling seaport.

Most of Haiti's older buildings are left over from French Colonial times with high ceilings and doors. Upstairs the doors are kept open to catch the tropical breezes as there certainly is no Air Conditioniong.

Doc Tom

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  11:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So very different. Really something. Love the details. Almost feel the heat.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  01:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Tom...I really enjoy the change of pace your Haitian modeling brings....tom

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  01:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Wonderful. Super idea and execution. Reminds me a bit of the No Hope Coast Railroad in the Gazette a number of years ago.
Peter

wolfscreek
Section Hand

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  04:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit wolfscreek's Homepage  Click to see wolfscreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice atmosphere. That's different from all the other logging and mining layouts.
Great sunny pictures

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  08:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Your encouragement and ideas on this wonderful website help keep me at it.

Chris- I was thinking rum punch drinks, caribbean music, and a heat lamp would help set the mood too. Also if I can find a sound system with the shrill whistle of little Porter.

Tom- The pace is slow for me too. Particularly since everything is scratchbuilt. Not too many RTR models of Haitian Sugar trains out there. I never realized a micro layout would require so much time.

Peter- Thanks. That was a very inspiring article.

Rene'- I really wanted to try something different. I did have a large basement logging show for 20 years (see pics). This was dismantled and given to local RR club when we moved to a smaller home as certified "empty nesters." But I did want to get into anothe guage and theme. Fortunately Haiti has that "worn out" look that I loved with the HO logger and I an able to continue in that genre in this larger scale.
Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/05/2009 5:17:31 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  09:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the pictures I tried to post earlier.
Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/05/2009 5:16:49 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  7:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, nice pics, Tom.
"Le petit mec" is a fine prototype and model. And the name is quite funny.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  9:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Once again, nice pics, Tom.
"Le petit mec" is a fine prototype and model. And the name is quite funny.

Thanks Frederic. As you know Le Petit Mec means "The Small Guy". I found this name on Google Images and it was the name of a French store in of all places Tokyo, Japan! I printed the picture of the store and cut out the name and glued to a painted sign board. I thought it was neat too, as it is a tiny store on a micro railroad layout.
Peace, Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  5:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another week and a little more work done on the "micro" layout depicting the Sugar Train of Haiti in 1920.

The micro is done in On30.

Here we see the addition of the third floor to the Le Petit Mec store and residence. Also a few more Haitians have been added to the layout and colorful caribbean signs have been applied to the building.

The railings are scratchbuilt in a jig using bamboo skewers and strips of wood. The signs are actual photographs from Haiti sized to fit and applied using white glue after lightly sanding.

Thanks for taking a look at this colorful corner of the world.
Doc Tom

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000