Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  11:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

I like it! I have visited the islands, and these colors are right on!!
Nice work Doc!!

Thanks Geezer. Here is the rundown yet colorful look of Haiti I am trying to convey with my modeling.
Doc Tom

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  12:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great model you have there. I really like the concept and the scenery

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am happy you came here to share your layout. It is such an unique application of on30- never thought I'd see a theme like this. Very interesting and fascinating.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

I am happy you came here to share your layout. It is such an unique application of on30- never thought I'd see a theme like this. Very interesting and fascinating.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. Part of the fun is that Haiti's railroads were in fact 30" guage and they really used Porter 30" and German 30" steam locomotives.

The rail is still in place in parts of Port au Prince, particularly near the abandoned Haitian American Sugar Company Mill that closed in the 1980's. My Haitian friends remember as children "stealing sugar cane" off the slow moving trains as a treat.

Doc Tom

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  6:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just have to reply! It´s a really wonderful rendition of Haiti you have made! I especially like the toned down pastel colors and the vegetation.

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  7:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, the scene shown in your last pic is particularly inspiring, and it shows how faithful your rendering of colours is.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  9:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Graffen

I just have to reply! It´s a really wonderful rendition of Haiti you have made! I especially like the toned down pastel colors and the vegetation.

Thanks Graffen. Part of the pastel colors in the Caribbean come from the beautiful plant life. This also proved to be a fun challenge to try and model

Here are some shots of a banana tree, "fig banann", in Kreyol, with Bougainvillea growing behind it. Of course the roan milk cow also gets its place in the colors of Haiti.

Doc Tom

Below is the inspiration I got to model banana plants. This is an East African O scale narrow guage diorama that I thought was rather nice and inspired me to give a go at modeling banana trees green bark and all.
Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  10:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have completed a little more work on the Haitian RR micro layout in On30.

Here is the second story on "Le Petite Mec" the small store in downtown Port au Prince. Also in the street is an ice man vendor returning to fill up his cart. Ice is a very rare and prized commodity in tropical Haiti.

The 2nd floor of Le Petite Mec has a temporary roof and awaits interior furnishing and details.

Hope you all like the pictures.

Doc Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  1:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice scene, Tom. And I forgot to say it before, but the African diorama that inspired you is really a great piece of modelling. Are you sure it is O scale? I seemed to remember it was 1:72. No that it be that important, by the way.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  2:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Nice scene, Tom. And I forgot to say it before, but the African diorama that inspired you is really a great piece of modelling. Are you sure it is O scale? I seemed to remember it was 1:72. No that it be that important, by the way.

Hi Frederic,
I thought it was O scale but looking at the models closely it could be 1:72???? Not certain. Sorry for any confusion.
Doc Tom
Here is another picture that shows a wheelset pretty good. Cannot say for sure what scale though .....and I did not keep the printed dialogue that went with the nice photos.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  2:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work .... great pictures.

Tom M.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  3:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

Very nice work .... great pictures.

Thanks Tom. Here are a few other shots that shows the RR at work. It is not always on a Caribbean vacation.

The cut of empty cane cars are being pulled out of HASCO Mill #1. They will be taken 40 miles west to the large sugar plantations, owned by the Haitian American Sugar Company, near Leogane Haiti.
Doc Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking, Tom. It's not a serious matter, anyway.
Nice new shots. How did you make the palms on the trees?

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I can never get enough of this. Judging by the figures and bananas, that diorama does seem to be O scale, but I could be wrong! Never know..

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  5:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Incredible. what a fantastic concept and execution. beautiful work.
Peter

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000