Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  5:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another great set of pics. All the scenes ooze charm and character. I have a Bachmann Porter (never used) stored away somewhere. You're inspiring me to do a detailing and weathering job on it in the new year.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  8:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Another great set of pics. All the scenes ooze charm and character. I have a Bachmann Porter (never used) stored away somewhere. You're inspiring me to do a detailing and weathering job on it in the new year.

Hi

Glad you like the Porters.

They can be a bit fussy to run Because they are small and have a short wheelbase.......dirty track and frogs in turnouts can result in stalls. Fortunately a couple of great articles in forums past on how to add extra pickups with a tender and installation of a Keep Alive capacitor that make them stellar runners.

That will be my New Year's project. I am very grateful to this wonderful site (RLF) for having all this wonderful information and inspiration.

Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/25/2015 :  9:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Doc,

I'll try to hunt those articles down.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sugar harvest is off to a good start in Leogoane Haiti. Its January 1st 1920.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Doc Tom

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  09:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Better watch out for snakes during harvest. Here in Florida they burn the cane fields prior to harvest to: 1-crystallize the sugar, 2-get rid of the unwanted leaves and 3-gets rid of pesky critters in the field.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/02/2016 09:21:44 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  10:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The peskiest critters in Florida are called snowbirds, didn't know they hung out in the cane fields Frank! The sugar harvest is looking good Tom!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard on St. Croix, U.S.V.I. that in the 1700s some sugar plantation owners brought in poisonous snakes to hobble their competition's fieldworkers. When the rapidly expanding snake population became a problem, mongooses were brought in. There were a lot of mongooses still there 200 years later, but not snakes.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 01/02/2016 12:31:48 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on snakes, snowbirds and mongooses guys.
I have seen the sugar harvest in Central Florida. It was extremely interesting and did involve trains getting the cane to the mills. I did see the burning of the fields as you described Frank.

Did not know about the importation of poisonous snakes in the Caribbean to hassle competitors. Interesting bit of history.Thanks Bill.

Thanks for the feedback on the sugar harvest in On30 Tyson.

Very few snakes remain in modern day Haiti. The locals report "they were all eaten" in this protein starved nation. A Haitian patient that stayed at my house for surgery was excited at finding a molted snake skin at our rural house. He wanted to organize a snake hunt and "make a lot of money" by capturing as many snakes as we could. I politely declined to undertake this type of adventure.

Doc Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual, very nice new pics, Doc.

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a caution, the article with a tender for extra pick ups, has incorrect wiring for the Keep Alive capacitors for the Porter with sound.
Reg Barron

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  3:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reg Barron

As a caution, the article with a tender for extra pick ups, has incorrect wiring for the Keep Alive capacitors for the Porter with sound.
Reg Barron

Hi Reg,
Are you referring to Verne's article? He was pretty convinced that B.Mann had it wrong on the diagram for the capacitor in the sound equipped Porter 0-4-2. I tried an install of a KA2 per his instructions a few weeks back and noticed that the (+) and ground markings on the PC Board were exactly like the B.mann printed wiring diagram. This was what Verne thought was not correct.

Since he was so adamant about what he found I followed his construction advice. The KA2 capacitor did not smoke but the Porter ran worse with stalling and starting every few seconds.

I decided these guys were just too tiny to fool with and the microscopic wiring was too much of challenge. I would go with DCC only and maybe put a solitary sound decoder in a tender with a speaker to tag along. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the latest release of the stock B.mann 0-4-2 that I got last week ran very well and this compromise might work to bring some sound to the little layout without using a keep alive.

Doc Tom

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  5:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I was referring to Verne's article. He edited his write up after l sent him a private e-mail questioning why he had reversed the polarity between the KA and the decoder. I don't think he understood that he got it wrong. I tried to follow his wiring and eventually burned out both a KA-1 and the loco decoder. I think the KA-1 is not as robust as the KA-2. The loco decoder may have been my fault, trying to find the correct configuration?? The tiny cap in the sand dome is a "sound only" stay alive set up. If one were to connect a KA to the cap terminals, and observe correct polarity, the result would be extended sound only keep alive. After two attempts, I eventually received the correct wiring diagram from Soundtraxx (who makes the sound decoders for Bachmann). Soldering on the tiny circuit board is a very dicey business, but with the correct installation the results are great. I think Verne got improved performance from the extra pick ups in the tender, and not his KA install. More modern decoders, such as the tiny Economi, allow modelers to hook up KAs with wires already coming out of the decoders. Also TCS makes the tiny KAM non sound decoder with KA already installed. I only brought this matter up because I feared others might run into the same frustration I did in trying to follow his instruction.
P. S. I think your layout is really nice!
Reg Barron

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reg Barron

Yes, I was referring to Verne's article. He edited his write up after l sent him a private e-mail questioning why he had reversed the polarity between the KA and the decoder. I don't think he understood that he got it wrong. I tried to follow his wiring and eventually burned out both a KA-1 and the loco decoder. I think the KA-1 is not as robust as the KA-2. The loco decoder may have been my fault, trying to find the correct configuration?? The tiny cap in the sand dome is a "sound only" stay alive set up. If one were to connect a KA to the cap terminals, and observe correct polarity, the result would be extended sound only keep alive. After two attempts, I eventually received the correct wiring diagram from Soundtraxx (who makes the sound decoders for Bachmann). Soldering on the tiny circuit board is a very dicey business, but with the correct installation the results are great. I think Verne got improved performance from the extra pick ups in the tender, and not his KA install. More modern decoders, such as the tiny Economi, allow modelers to hook up KAs with wires already coming out of the decoders. Also TCS makes the tiny KAM non sound decoder with KA already installed. I only brought this matter up because I feared others might run into the same frustration I did in trying to follow his instruction.
P. S. I think your layout is really nice!
Reg Barron

I think that may be what happened to me. I was able to get the micro soldering done without problems but the engine ran worse. But I learned a lot. I had wondered if his write up was off particularly when the PC board had (+) and ground signs printed on the "flip side" that were the same as the B.mann diagram.

I do like the 8 pin "plug and play " decoder installs ......wish there was one of those on the B.mann Porter.

Thanks for the interesting dialogue Reg.

Doc Tom

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  12:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom,

There are two little techniques one can try, prior to KA installs that seem to help a little to improve the Porters:

- use a little CRC cleaner to wheels, track and pick ups, followed by a little CRC electrical lubricant.

- lossen the front cover plate screw near the front (non geared) driver set. This will allow the wheels to pivot a bit over small undulations in the rail. This is a sort do "poor man's" equalization, and may improve tracking and pick up a little.
- run the locos often, to break up any oxidation that may occur.

The other extreme method beside using KAs, is to simply go Dead Rail, (battery power, radio control). There is a video on You Tube, that may be titled Run Away Porter, that shows the Porter rolling across the scenery!

Regards,
Ref Barron

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  2:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Reg,

Thanks for all these care and feeding techniques for these little Porters. Fortunately I have two DCC Porters running good. One of the nice things about mini/micro layouts is that it is fairly easy to keep the track clean. Since neither is stalling on the #4 plastic frogs on two turnouts life is good.

I have ordered two of the neat Porter 4 wheel tender kits from Backwoods Miniatures (nice bunch of guys to work with). These have electrical pickups on their wheelsets. I hope to wire this to a stand alone Digitrax Sound Bug to get a fairly inexpensive sound for the Porter. The SB has two screw terminals to hook up the wires from the pickups. Pretty simple and no need to tear into the guts of the Porters again.

Doc Tom

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000