Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  06:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking much better now Tom.

Tony

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pastor_t

Looking much better now Tom.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I am feeling better about the redo.

Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  08:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent choice Tom, looks great!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  09:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new roofing looks right. Sure hope the engineer doesn't lean out rounding that corner of the chapel! (I have a tight spot like that on my layout as well)

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  09:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyson for the good advice re: the out of scale corrugated metal roofing I got of eBay. It is now in file 13 and will not be used again!

Bill, my model RR buddies are always joshing me about the tight clearances on my creations. Since this is a mini everything is very tight to get stuff to fit.

I will probably have to trim the cane on that cane car to get it rolling through the tight spots on the layout.

Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  1:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think both roofs are/were good. The first one had a lot of character in line with the character of the overall model while the second has a more realistic feel to it. Looking forward to seeing more.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

I think both roofs are/were good. The first one had a lot of character in line with the character of the overall model while the second has a more realistic feel to it. Looking forward to seeing more.

Yes, I have seen churches in Haiti that are on their last legs with caved in roofs and still being used. My friend Father Andre built the prototypical St Paul's Chapel and I leaned more to representing it in its prime........a sign of hope as in the prototype pictures. Thanks for your comments. Doc Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  7:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a fascinating layout!

Looking back at earlier posts, I like the newer roofing. The other was a little too cartoonish. I think a lot of the charm of this type of layout is the contrast between the scaled-down railroad and the real world.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  9:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the roof too, Tom. You did a great job of shoehorning the chapel into the scene.

George

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  5:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the placement of the cross on the roof line,the very rural St Paul's Chapel is finished.

Next up will be planting more sugar cane plants. The whole reason for being for this little Rail Road.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  7:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice fit, looks right at home!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  9:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roof and everything look great. A lot of character and local color in your modeling.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2015 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be attending next Sunday's mass as long as I can get past the Rum still. Fine work Doc!

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting very heavy barrels of rum to the wharf at Port au Prince required a heavy duty flat car. The stock On30 B.mann flat was cut down to 15 feet in length and 5.5 width to negotiate the streets of the city and the tight curves out in the countryside.

The rum will be offloaded on to a ship for transport north to thirsty American and English customers.

Maybe it will add a kick to a favorite Christmas beverage.

Merry Christmas. Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  5:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000