Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doc,

I too have been getting fantastic pictures of my layout using my iPhone under both natural room light and spots. You can go further as well if you buy a gooseneck iPhone holder and set the timer so that the pictures are absolutely still. Apparently the new iPhones have a 12 mg pixel sensor which must be incredible. My iPhone 6 Plus is 8mgp and I've completely stopped using my pro level dslr since the pictures are so good.

http://thedepotonline.com/

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  1:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is so nice to see something other than another D&RGW layout.

Great work.

Thanks for sharing.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Doc,

I too have been getting fantastic pictures of my layout using my iPhone under both natural room light and spots. You can go further as well if you buy a gooseneck iPhone holder and set the timer so that the pictures are absolutely still. Apparently the new iPhones have a 12 mg pixel sensor which must be incredible. My iPhone 6 Plus is 8mgp and I've completely stopped using my pro level dslr since the pictures are so good.

Hi Kumard,
I agree holding the iPhone "rock steady" is very important.

Here is another trick for holding the iPhone camera directly on the layout.

I used a small screw clamp to steady the camera and agree the camera's timer is a real help. I used a screw clamp to avoid damaging the case or screen.....figured I could control pressure on the iPhone this way.

Here is the picture the iPhone was shooting.

The Haitian villagers have cut some O scale poles out of the jungle to use as repairs on the sheds and ladder at the Rhum still and water tank.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  3:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrylhuffman

It is so nice to see something other than another D&RGW layout.

Great work.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Darryl.
The Haitians did have an affinity for American steam power and narrow gauge to boot.

There was a big difference in what they used for fuel however. Check out that tender chock full of Bagasse, dried and crushed sugar cane sticks.

Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  5:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is another trick for holding the iPhone camera directly on the layout.

Nice. I'll try that too.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  9:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat cell phone tricks. I have to try it out.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have continued fooling around with my wife's iPhone and took this little bit of eye candy:

All those many megapixels in the little beast camera do a good job IMHO.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  8:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more Little People from Arttista made it to Haiti and hired on with the little sugar train.

They were immediately put to work firing the new Porter and loading the bunker with pressed cane used as fuel.

Soon the locomotive will move a cut of cane cars to the fields to harvest more of the sweet produce of sugar cane.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  9:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few days ago Mr Frank Palmer had this good advice....."Have you considered using twigs from the yard for lumber when you build small structures like the shade canopy or the ladder? It gives the items the look of being crudely made such as in the proto type canopy. I would assume they opted for natural supplies rather than “store bought” dimensional lumber."

It was good advice so this weekend I replaced the dimensional lumber with the materials the Haitians would have harvested from the nearby jungle to make the shade canopy over the hand cranked cane press.

I agree it looks more like the prototype now with the rather crude construction techniques used on the prototype.

Thank you for the good advice Frank!!!

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  08:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a good suggestion, it looks great.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  01:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great example of how some natural materials can scale down and be used on a model. Looks great.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/18/2015 :  09:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mini layout depicts a 1920 sugar hauler in Haiti. So I thought it time to plant some sugar cane plants on the layout. Here are some new growth plants just outside Leogoane.

When fully grown the sugar hauler will be there to help with the harvest.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2015 :  10:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five stars on the additional vegetation. Have you also added a corrugated boarder?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2015 :  11:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always inspiring ....

Tom M.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/18/2015 :  12:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Five stars on the additional vegetation. Have you also added a corrugated boarder?

Hello Big Lars.

Actually the border was placed several years ago. It was an attempt to recreate the corrugated metal roofing on so many of my structures. Roofing that is quite rusted.

Because I wanted this to be a portable layout I used "border trim for gardens" from Lowes. It is a lot lighter (plastic) then real corrugated metal and a lot safer to cut and work with. It comes in a green color from the store and was painted with acrylics to look like rusting metal roofing.

Thanks for your interest. Doc Tom

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000