Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 139 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  4:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice shot of your layout, Dr. Tom. The trees are beautiful.
The forum soft doesn't want pictures with characters other than letters and numbers. It probably explains your problems with the first attempt at posting them.
Now that you've found a way, I hope you're going to show us more of the model and the original.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the nice comments. The palm trees were a whole new experience for me. I have many many hardwoods and conifers on my HO logging layout, but palm trees and jungle growth was all new to me!!! Fortunately there is a lot of information on this type of modelling on the Internet.
I am going to try my luck with posting "two" pictures with this next post. First picture is an actual rural Haitian home. The second picture is a modelled one. I was intrigued with the roofline of these houses and there use of corrugated metal to achieve this roofline.
Dr Tom

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  7:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dr. Tom...thank goodness your were able to post your photos...they are wonderful. I like seeing photos of the Cuban narrow gauge lines and these are very similar....please continue to educate us about the Hatian narrow gauge lines....tom

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow...captures the feel of Haiti (based on the photos I have seen) very effectively. The bright colors, textures and lush vegetation really stand out. Thanks for sharing, Dr. Tom. I look forward to seeing more!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  07:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Thank you again for the nice compliments. I am posting a pic of an "outdoor" modern day sugar press used to get the cane juice out of the sugar cane. The juice can then be distilled and fermented into rum, "rhum" (Haitian Kreyol) or using a series of heated vats turned into sugar "sik" (Haitian Kreyol). That which is left over, the remains of the pressed cane, is called bagasse. After some drying in the ever present sun the bagasse can be used to fuel steam engines including little Porters on railroads. I believe the Cuban RR's used this as a fuel source for their locomotives too. You can see some of the future bagasse in the picture of the outdoros cane press.
The second picture of the modelled layout depicts another Haitian scene with a Haitian pig rooting in a bagasse pile. Haitian pigs are black and tough little critters. They are a significant source of protein and wealth for the Haitian farmer.
Hope you like these pictures.

Dr Tom

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  10:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty Kool!!! Nice job & thanks for all the history....

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  11:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling and lots of neat ideas in the Pics. Thanks for sharing.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Very interesting and very unique! Love the paint job on the Porter!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  4:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice new pics, Dr.Tom. Depicting on a model the mood of these haitian scenes must be a pleasure, with the many unusual details.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dr. Tom...you are doing a nice job telling the story of these Haitian railways...I'm enjoying the ride...tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  07:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Thank you all for the nice comments and the encouragement. This is a really active website with good folks supporting this great hobby of model railroading.
I will post another picture with a Porter at the Port au Prince wharf. It was from the "depot" (Haitian kreyol for warehouse) that the sacks of sugar were sent to the tables and cooks of the world. The little trains that worked the Haitian National Railroad did their part to make this happen.
This will be it for pictures for a few weeks as I need to finish this scene. I hope to post some more pictures in the near future to this great group.
Thanks for looking. Dr G

ffayolle
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ffayolle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice layout !!!

Have a G'day

Fabrice Fayolle
http://www.modelrailway-online.com

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  7:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been able to do a little more modelling on the On30 Sugar Hauler depicting Haiti in the 1920's. So, I thought I would post a couple of pics of the latest creation for this mini layout.
Here we see a pedestrian bridge in downtown Port au Prince. Automobiles are extremely rare in 1920's Haiti and everybody walks. The bridge gets the good people out of the way of the trains
The bridge is "scratchbuilt" using foam core board covered by spackling compound then painted and weathered. Wood is very rarely used in Haiti for construction. Most structures are concrete, block and stucco.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another shot from overhead of the pedestrian bridge. The two wires will power the future lamp on the bridge. The stairs were made again with pieces of foam core board.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the "real McCoy" in downtown Cap Haitien Haiti. It is a good representation of the block and concrete construction. Plus you get a good sampling of the pastel colors used throughout the Caribbean.

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000