Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 267 ]  [ Total: 274 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  5:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the trusty iPad out to the train shed to get a few pictures of a little more progress on the On30 mini layout.

Here is some Caribbean blue water I was able to place under the dock at Port au Prince.

Here is a Haitian house and the start of a sugar cane field in a corner of the Leogane section of the small layout.

I have been enjoying some "warm weather" modeling down in the Caribbean during these cold days.

Doc Tom

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  08:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling. I've never been face to face with sugar cane but your method looks effective. Yhe image quality of these pictures is not as good as you've posted before. I've never used an iPad camera, but I wonder if either more light or some sort of rest to brace the iPad against might help?

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree JBVB the iPad image quality is not as good as the Sony. I suspect it is the poor lighting in the train shed where the mini resides. i will be switching back to the Sony digital for future pictures.

Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 01/01/2014 08:58:29 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you make more progress on your Caribbean layout. I'm not sure about the real capacities of ipad or other tablets relative to fine modelling photography. It would be worth trying to make pics using a support, but I wonder what other parameters can be set by the user.

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  08:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found that my iPhone camera gave better quality pictures than my digital camera. I think the iPad camera is lower resolution though. They do improve a lot with a stand or support to hold them rock steady.

Really loving the layout though, really colourful and nice to see something different.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  6:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The section of the mini layout that I have been working on recently represents the rural area of Leogoane Haiti.

Rural Haitian houses are quite primitive. Many are built from wattle and thatch. Mud is used to cover the wattle that makes up the walls. This type of construction, imported from Africa, was quite prevalent in the 1920s in Haiti.

Here is a model I built from card stock and paper. Like so many prototype structures in Haiti it is perched on the side of a mountain with a steep path leading to its front door.

Down below the colorful Porter locomotives are passing by on their way to the sugar cane fields.

Hope you like the pictures.

Dr. Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  04:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quality of the pics is much better indeed.
And the models are nice, as always.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It is lunch time at the sugar mill (HASCO) in Port au Prince. The local cook at the cook shack is making up beans and rice and a seller drops by with a load of Coca Colas from up North.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  08:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you back modeling and posting here Doc.
Your layout just keeps getting better and better.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  8:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been away for quite some time and wanted to try my hand at getting back with this good group.

Here are some colorful shots I did this summer on the little Haitian Sugar Hauler.

I am trying to see if I can post pictures. I am looking forward to getting back in to the On30 discussion.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics, good to see you back here.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  03:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to read you again. Nice shots.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  07:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom,
I love seeing new photos of this layout. I hope to see more of you around here.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/15/2015 :  5:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a chance to model a little more of the Leogane Rhum Distillery on the layout. I have in place the pot for boiling the fermented sugar cane juice. The worker is firing it with bagasse, the dried pressed cane after the juice has been extracted. The steam locomotive engines run on the same fuel.

After the pot boils off alcohol in a vapor it is transported to the condenser to begin the collection of Haitian Rhum.

A steam locomotive pulling cane cars drifts in to view and has a load of cane to off load.This cane will be pressed and the juice loaded in to the wooden fermentation tanks in the back of the operation.

It is very hot work firing a locomotive and the sugar cane oven, the distillation worker and the steam engine engineer are thinking about sharing a refreshing Caribbean tropical drink with some of the local liquid produce.

Doc Tom

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000