Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  4:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frederic and Neil,

Thanks for looking at the pictures and your interesting comments.

While French is spoken in Haiti I did not find any French locomotives in my research. The Haitan Railroads used Krauss locomotives in addition to the Porters. I believe Krauss is a German locomotive. Here is a picture of a Krauss locomotive in service in Haiti.

I got the rusted up model of the european steamer at one of the el cheapo tables of used stuff at the National Narrow Gauge convention in St Louis for about $10. Since it did not run it ended up derelict and on the ocean's edge in the mini layout. My story about the worn out German locomotive came from this bargain basement model that did not run. Actually I think the Krauss locomotives did pretty good in Haiti and other tropical climates and in Africa.

Yes, I remain quite impressed at the speeds of modern French locomotives. I hope to live to see the day we got them here in the US too.

Doc Tom

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  7:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom,

Good to see you back at work on that mini-layout. It is one of my favorites.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  3:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

You're right Neil. The only locos we seem to be able to build here in France fly like rockets at 300 kph. Some even reached almost 600 kph. We're not good enough to make acceptable steamers...

Sorry Frederic, I only just saw your comment.

I wasn't doubting French locomotive design and reliability, but was saying that as a French Colony and then a sovereign country that owed France a lot of money I though Haiti was more likely to have used engines of French manufacture due to the colonial links.

I can see from Toms comments that the Krauss loco is based on history, not conjecture and is an even cooler detail as a result

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Doc Tom,

Good to see you back at work on that mini-layout. It is one of my favorites.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the nice comments. Thanks for the ongoing interest in this little layout. Here are a few more pictures from around the open air tropical engine house.

Doc Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Neil, I honestly ignore almost everything about the choices made by French ancient colonies in matter of trains.
That being said, if French recent trains are certainly very well designed and apparently quite reliable, they definitely lack the romance of these old contraptions, in my opinion. I've seen some very detailed and realistic models of high speed lines, with turnouts exactly scaled, perfect catenaries made in a way that deserve full applauses. Yet, again, seeing this hardly makes me dream (apart from having the manual skill to do such a quality work).

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  6:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, I replied without refreshing the browser and missed your last pics. I love their mood.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Doc!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  4:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it has been quite a while since I've posted here.

It is cold, so I stopped work on the outdoor garden railroad. I thought it was time for some Caribbean sunshine and warm blue waters.I have gone back to work on the Haitian Sugar Train.

[/URL]
I'm picking up where I left off. I have done work on the Leogane Beach scene just below the Leogane engine house. The warm Caribbean ocean continues the oxidation process on the rusting hulk of the worn out Kraus steam locomotive.

[/URL]

[/URL]

A sugar train from Port au Prince arrives at the Leogane tank. There has been a profusion of tropical growth since we last posted here. The aroma of burning dried sugar cane, steam and Bougainvillea fills the air.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Further down the line construction of a Haitian Rum still and a Haitian village continues. More photos to follow during these cold winter months. Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 12/15/2013 5:02:39 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  5:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc,
Great to see you back at it your micro is one of my favorites.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc
It's great to read you again on this fine subject. Nice new shots, and again that wonderful mood.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  10:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful workmanship, glad to see you are still at it!

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  12:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto the above from me. I'm happy to see you back at it and looking forward to more!

-Cody

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  03:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great to see something new on this thread! I am thinking of going down a similar modelling path of looking at narrow gauge on pacific islands

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
World Famous BARBANCOURT RHUM is made in Haiti. But not at a distillery that looks like this:

I thought this charming rural “still” had to be modeled fro my On30 Sugar Cane hauler set in 1920’s Haiti.

Here is the next structure undergoing construction in the Leogane section of the mini layout. It is a representative of the back jungle distillery pictured above.

I tried to recreate the wooden fermentation tanks. Next to come will be the sugar cane press and the distilling apparatus.

While not quite the same as an Appalachian Moonshine still, you get the understanding that all cultures and people love the taste of fermented juices.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  10:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it!

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000