Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom it is always nice to see someone promoting our hobby! That's a great little layout and I'm sure a good time was had by everybody.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, seeing again how small the layout is, reminds me of what an amazing job you've done packing a lot of detail into a small area.

A great job of modeling and promoting the hobby.
Thanks for sharing.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet
We live in a military town. Fort Campbell, 101st Air Borne, is here.

Small nit: "Airborne" is one word.

dave (101st Abn, '78-'82, but I lived on the Kentucky side.)

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet
We live in a military town. Fort Campbell, 101st Air Borne, is here.

Small nit: "Airborne" is one word.

dave (101st Abn, '78-'82, but I lived on the Kentucky side.)

Hi Dave,
OOPS. You know early this AM I couldn't figure out if it should be Airborne or Air Assault. Then I spelled it wrong. I hope you liked your time in the Clarksvegas area.
Doc Tom

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  03:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Giving this a bump to say how much I have enjoyed catching up on this layout. I don't know how I missed it before, but I am glad to have found it. Brilliant modelling of an unusual subject. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Tony

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pastor_t

Giving this a bump to say how much I have enjoyed catching up on this layout. I don't know how I missed it before, but I am glad to have found it. Brilliant modelling of an unusual subject. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for the nice comments.

Well, its summer and I have been slowly working on another first for me a Garden Railroad based on the Little River RR from East Tennessee where I am from.

Sure getting a lot of sunshine and learning a lot......but it has taken up all my modeling time and the sugar hauler will be front and center come Fall and Winter.

I have to say I have been enjoying these larger scales as Presbyopia ( eye changes with age) sets in.

Here is a picture of my very first trestle in Large Scale with LRRR's 2147 Shay.

Doc Tom

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  9:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom;
Please show us some more photos of your garden RR. The Little River RR is one of my favorite prototypes because I live in East Tennessee and have visited some of the places it ran like Townsend.

L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  9:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks nice Tom, what scale and company is the loco and car?

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  10:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon and Tyson,

Thanks for the nice comments on the Little River experiment in the backyard.

Jon, while I live in Clarksville Tennessee I did grow up in East Tennessee near Chattanooga. I too have spent many a fine day at the Little River museum in Townsend TN. Also spent some time in the original Wonderland Hotel a destination on the LRRR up in Elkmont. Of course the hotel was abandoned and has now totally collapsed in. It was a beautiful wooden structure before its demise.

Tyson, the Garden RR is in 1:20.3 large scale and the Shay is Bachmann's three trucker. The parentage of the old combine I am not so sure of as it was given to me by a RR buddy to help get me started.

And really I am just starting with this project and learning a lot as I go a long.

Here are a few pictures of some of the bridges Ihave built for the line and a shot of the custom decals I had made up from prototype pictures of # 2147 sitting at the museum in Townsend.

I will get back to work on the micro layout when the weather starts getting bad this fall and modeling returns to indoor projects.
Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  6:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well summer is over here in Tennessee and time to get back inside to play with trains. Time to go from this:

To working indoors on the Little Sugar Hauler in Haiti:

I have been working on the water tank in Leogane Haiti. This is the "rural" side of my mini layout and in this corner is the open air engine house with water tank.

In Haiti there is very little lumber to construct structures and that which is used is quickly eaten by the insects of the tropics. Most of the construction materials are hand made block, concrete and imported steel/iron.

The all metal tank is built upon a metal frame work that is quickly rusting since Leogane is close to the sea.

Mr Pierre, a French ex-patriot and chief mechanic for the HASCO railroad is busy moving a box of parts from the Porter Locomotive company in the United States. He really likes the hard working Porters and is glad management got rid of that German locomotive that did not do well in the tropical extremes and for which he could never get parts.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  7:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inside or out they are all looking good!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  8:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always a delight seeing this thread pop back up to the top.
Nice pictures.
Here's the one that didn't show above.

I was wondering, considering all the problems that the people of Haiti have been having, if you'd been down there helping out?

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  8:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tyson and Rick,

Thanks for the nice comments. Rick thanks for saving that picture from the cyberspace waste bin. I looked around and it was gone after the "upload." I was afraid to try much in the way of retrieval for fear of losing the whole post.

Yes, Haiti is undergoing a terrible Cholera epidemic. Haiti has the worst water quality in the world, but this is the first time Cholera has hit the nation in over 100 years.

The St Jules Clinic I work at in NW Haiti is seeing 25 patients a day with Cholera. We have sent additional funding to purchase the antibiotics and oral rehydration salts/solution used to treat Cholera in a large number of patients. I return to work at this clinic with our American medical team on March

I appreciate the opportunities you all give me to "talk about Haiti" here on a modeling forum. I never anticipated the disasters this country would go through when I set out to recreate their railroad history in the 1920's.

Doc Tom

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  2:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your new scene is looking nice. I hadn't thought about wood not having the lasting power in the tropics that it does in temperate climates. It's a nice detail.

Surely the broken loco should be French?

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Neil. The only locos we seem to be able to build here in France fly like rockets at 300 kph. Some even reached almost 600 kph. We're not good enough to make acceptable steamers...

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000