Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  10:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc,
Your engine house looks wonderful, are you going to junk up the inside?
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  10:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom, I like your open air engine house.
I'm building an open air engine house as well and need pictures of examples of prototypes.
Would you mind if I used that first picture you posted to include with the paper work I need to submit when I have my model judged for NMRA certification?

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc

It's coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see the finished look.

On30Rick

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  4:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Troels,Larry,and Rick,

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback on the little engine house on the little layout.

Troels, thank you for your inspiration and techniques from the On30 forum. The concrete "floor" for this engine house was done using your ideas of cardstock painted with acrylics and washes rather than a time consuming plaster pour. It turned out pretty good. I agree this hobby is a great"stress buster". I head back to Haiti this Friday for medical work and working on the layout has kept me from " over worrying" about what we will see at our clinic.

Larry, yes this engine house will become quite busy once I paint all the detail castings I got for Christmas from my kids and their gift certificate to Caboose Hobbies. I love the large detail parts possible in O scale.

Rick, feel free to use the picture of the Cuban steam engine in the Cuban open air engine house. I got it off the web a few years back and cannot recall the exact site if there are copyright issues???

Thank you guys again for all your ideas and support.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OregonOn30

Doc

It's coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see the finished look.

On30Rick

Thanks On30 Rick. I hope to do a little more work with pictures soon. I will be heading to Haiti on Friday for a 12 day Medical team to our clinic in rural Petit Bourg du Borgne in NW Haiti. So I may get a little behind on the modeling.

Interestingly, I found narrow guage,30" wheel sets in the jungles in this mountain village of Petit Bourg du Borgne a few years ago.

When I asked what kind of railroad they were from the locals reported a very short line between a coffee mill, coffee sorting plaza and a coffee warehouse. I was blown away when they told me that the motive power was "human power" pulling the loaded coffee wagons with the heavy wheelsets by hand on this little "shortline."

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  8:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Doc Tom, I like your open air engine house.
I'm building an open air engine house as well and need pictures of examples of prototypes.
Would you mind if I used that first picture you posted to include with the paper work I need to submit when I have my model judged for NMRA certification?

Hi Rick,
I found some more nice pictures of Open Air Engine Houses in Cuba.

These may help you further in your search for prototype pictures.

Dr Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  8:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom, those are excellent.
Thank you very much.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  10:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat pics!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  07:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Carl Arendt's little article on Le Petit Mec (the little guy), the name of this little sugar hauler. This is the first time anything of mine was ever published.

Here is the link http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page95/index.html

Dr Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Tom. A well deserved publication.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  2:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dr Tom --

Congrats for the feature on Carl Arendt's site ... not only well deserved, but seems likely that your Little Mec will remain a long-time favorite among mini/micro layout fans. Beautifully done!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  10:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Little Sugar Hauler goes "on the road."

Despite the horrible rainy weather here in Tennessee, the local Clarksville Montgomery Museum and the local historical society held "Train Fest" in our neat old train station pictured below.Train Fest is a display of all kinds of Railroad displays and activities......everything from a restored full scale 1:1 caboose, a country band singing RR songs, Lionel layouts, G scale layouts and scale models of trains.

This was my first chance to take the little Haitian Sugar layout "on the road."

Here is a couple of shots before all the kids descended on the layout to blow the whistle and ring the bells on the little Porters.

It was a lot of fun on a rainy weekend and the layout performed nicely. The kids learned how to whistle for grade crossings and helped with some simple operations moving cane and bagged sugar around.

The lower "box" contains all the electronics for the micro layout including a simple MRC sound system with speaker in the large two story building pictured. I use a radio control throttle so I can interact with the visitors.

The layout is foam based and suprisingly light. The whole thing disassembles in to two parts the box and the layout and is easily transportable.

If you are considering building a mini or micro layout this is one of the big "selling points" that got me hooked. They are easy to move and transport and can really hold kids and their parents interest. I had a lot of fun talking up our great hobby

Dr Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  02:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to see your fine little layout exhibited for people to enjoy it, Tom. On this global view, I find your vegetation is really neat, especially the beautiful palm trees.
Great work!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  07:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

It's nice to see your fine little layout exhibited for people to enjoy it, Tom. On this global view, I find your vegetation is really neat, especially the beautiful palm trees.
Great work!

Thanks Frederic,

The palm trees are constructed with pipe cleaners wrapped around a wire armature and then painted. The palm leaves are cut from cheap artificial plant leaves from the local Hobby Lobby. They are cut to the correct shape and the edges are cut with scissors. The leaves are then hot glued to the trunk and the trees planted.

A lot of the kids said they were going home to build cardboard buildings to put on their Thomas the Tank Engine layouts after discussing the simple materials used to make the models on this mini layout.

We live in a military town. Fort Campbell, 101st Air Borne, is here. One young mom was making a video of her kid operating the trains and blowing the whistle. She was sending the video to his dad in Afghanistan. I was really moved and that child got a lot of train time.

Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 05/03/2010 07:08:46 AM

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000