Railroad Line Forums - On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: RocknTommy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Sugar Cane Hauler in 1920's Haiti
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 29

wolfscreek
Section Hand

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  4:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit wolfscreek's Homepage  Click to see wolfscreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wishing you and all the others there all the best and a lot of strength to survive this terrible situation and build a new life.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, I'm glad to hear you are OK too. Be safe in your visit.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  9:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another building for the On30 Sugar Hauler

It has been a very stressful month as we mount a response to the huge number of injured people in Haiti. Both of the clinics/hospitals I am affiliated with have been very busy. Our Visitation Hospital is lining up to receive post-op patients from the US Navy Hospital Ship COMFORT.

To get a little break from all the stress I did try a little modeling. THe structure pictured is a church in 1920 Port au Prince. The Haitian people have a very deep Faith and it will be this Faith that will get them through the tough times they are in now.

Of course in 1920 Haiti not everybody is in Church and there is quite a bit of activity going on on the docks. The guys are loving the show of the colorful well used Porter with a load from the sugar mill.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  8:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the micro/mini forum Tom! I have been following your progress with great interest as this is something you don't ever see modeled and you are doing a wonderful job of it!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  9:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Welcome to the micro/mini forum Tom! I have been following your progress with great interest as this is something you don't ever see modeled and you are doing a wonderful job of it!

Thanks Tyson,
I appreciate Joe's help in getting this topic moved to the micro/mini forum. I felt it was much more appropriate to have it placed here.

I did get the original track plan from Carl Arendt's wonderful site and have been slowly building it for the past 1-2 years.

I have been amazed on how much modeling you can do in a small space!!! For example the scenes of Port au Prince in all the recent posts only encompass an area of 38"X 15" but include 20 structures.

Getting the camera in tight for pictures also expands the possibilities for "enlarging" micro layouts even further.

Here are some more shots of the "depot" down at the docks with the colorful Porters working a train of rum and sugar for off loading.

Dr Tom

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  12:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see your posts. I enjoy this unique model RR very much

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  06:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVN

Good to see your posts. I enjoy this unique model RR very much

Thanks Chris. It has been and continues to be a "fun build".

Here is another grab shot of the Borlet (lottery) down by the docks. The hard working men wonder if this might be their lucky day to take home a big prize.
Dr Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  09:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Tom, I always enjoy seeing pictures of your layout too.
Always amazed and impressed with the amount of detail in this small layout.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, despite the awful circumstances, you've been able to add a few beautiful vignettes to your Haiti layout. Bravo!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  7:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Tom, despite the awful circumstances, you've been able to add a few beautiful vignettes to your Haiti layout. Bravo!

Thanks Frederic,
We who work in Haiti have been on an emotional roller coaster this past month. The modeling did help to break the stress.

Thank you for your support and positive feedback.

Dr Tom

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  12:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Tom,

Good to hear from you. Glad you are able to model to keep your sanity. Steam on!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  05:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Always a pleasure to see the latest auditions you your unique railroad.
Peter

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  5:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

I have been doing a little more work on the Haitian Sugar Hauler set in the 1920's.

I love the ramshackle "open air structures" found on Caribbean Sugar lines. Here is an example of a Cuban Engine House with a nice loco in out of the rain.

I also enjoy the Terrapin Model RailRoaders outdoor engine facilities set in the desert Southwest. I included a picture below as well.

So I decided to combine these ideas in to an open air engine house for the Leogane section of my Mini On30 Rail Road.

Here are some of the first construction shots. I used a paper jig copied X6 for the delicate support structures. I spot glued some of the 12 pieces of cut styrene that make up the supports to the paper jigs. The paper was peeled away and I was left with a very delicate structure of iron work for each support. These have been secured to a concrete floor and the long beams that will tie everything together come next.
Thanks for looking. Dr Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  08:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some More Work on the Open Air Engine House

Hello All,

I have done a little more construction on the open air engine house. The steel beams and "rafters" are in place and some of the first corrugated metal roofing has been installed. One of the Porters decided to get out of the hot tropical sun and find some shade.

There is an overhead hoist installed and the rigging for it comes next. A whole box of detail parts are being painted and will be installed soon. Those little tools in O scale can really bring life to an engine house scene.

More to come. Doc Tom

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  09:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, you must have the most charming little layout ever. Always a pleasure to see it sprouting another fine scene!

And modeling (well, all creative work really) is the best stress reliever there is...IMHO of course ;o)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000