Railroad Line Forums - Progress Along the Mississippi River Waterfront
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Progress Along the Mississippi River Waterfront
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: anyone tried the new TCS Keep Alive decoders? Topic Next Topic: Great Canadian Layout: The Northland Route
Page: of 5

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted to share my latest progress in the New Orleans waterfront area of my third level. The first building is the Public Cotton Warehouse which was entirely scratchbuilt from styrene and cut-down City Classics windows.

I am currently finishing up the Sylvan tramp freighter this weekend. Here are some photos taken last weekend. I have made major progress on the ship since then....

The largest structure is the Public Cotton Warehouse which was severely kit-bashed from four Walthers Red Wing Milling kits, City Classics upper wall sections, and PVC pipe. It is a free-lanced configuration, but captures the massiveness of the prototype. It is mainly used to conceal the entrance to the staging yard.

This weekend I will finish construction of the ship. In the remaining time before Labor Day, I will quickly complete two AMB barges, add seagulls and pour 1 gallon of muddy Envirotex to complete the wharf area. Mini scenes of loading cotton bales on the ship will be added as well. Here is the overall scene including the Napoleon Avenue Wharf and the Creole Queen riverboat.

I’ll post photos of this area 100% complete soon. You will find additional photos (prototype and model) and descriptions of each in the “Latest Progress” gallery of my website.
Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff, that is some super modeling on your part! You have really captured the New Orleans ambience, I believe. Excellent! I really like the "massiveness" of the Public Cotton Warehouse. Walther's Cornerstone kits certainly are a great foundation for kitbashing and expanding, as you have demonstrated.

Question: (admittedly a little off the subject) What did you light your lower level with? I am currently adding a lower level to may layout (vertical separation is about 17"), and am in a quandary regarding lighting.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! That’s some very impressive work, Cliff. I like the way you colored and weathered the concrete.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great layout getting even greater!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff
Spectacular work and some of the best kit bashing i've seen. Can't wait to see the waterfront when done. The ships are impressive all on the own and when added to the structure, and incredible project.
Peter

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  12:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive harbour scene. The big mill on the right end is really a huge structure. Your work on its coloring and weathering is impressive, especially when one considers the size of the building. On a more general point of view, the size of the structures (and also the great length of the Napoleon Wharf) renders quite well the kind of busy place an important port is.
Very nice boats, too, along the wharf.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your great modelling.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  8:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Cliff, just beautiful modeling there. And the weathering is just right. A very impressive industry.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  8:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,
Great looking scene and your modeling as usual is top notch.

Having been on a boat ride on the lower Mississippi in New Orleans before Katrina I can say you have definitely captured the look of the port.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  9:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a really unique traveling crane at the cotton warehouse. I have never seen a crane that looks like a plate girder bridge. Could you please tell us how it works?

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Al,

I use 14 watt CFL bulbs (60 watt equivalent) from n:vision. I believe they are sold exclusively by Home Depot. They make both a bright white and daylight version. The daylights are towards the blue color spectrum. I tried a few, but in the end went with the bright white. Since I needed over 130 bulbs, (!!!!!) I chose these for energy efficiency, low heat and long life. I am extremely pleased with the results. I use outdoor fixtures held in place with conduit straps.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, these photos will show the system I created for installing the lights. If they still leave you asking questions, let me know.

BTW, there are many more photos with descriptions of my lighting system in the "New Orleans" photo gallery of my website. It should help "shed some light" on the subject.

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 08/10/2008 10:26:53 PM

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LandNNut,

It was the cool traveling bridges that first attracted me to the prototype structure. Basically the bridge allows access to tall ships from the second story of the warehouse. This technique was used on several waterfront warehouses in New Orleans, although bridge styles varied. There is an overhead pulley system at the end of the bridge but I’m not entirely sure of its purpose. I presume it allowed cargo to be lifted when a boom was not available or accessible. Here are several prototype photos which served as the inspiration for the model. Although the bridges have been shortened a bit, I think they nicely capture the look of the prototype…ditto for the warehouse itself.

Action scenes of cotton bales being loaded onto the ship will add a lot to the scene. In fact, I will model the cargo holds of the ship open so that you can see bales being stacked inside. It’ll be cool!

Incidentally, I had a real hard time coming up with a way to model cotton bales realistically. A cotton ball was not going to do it. Baled cotton has that bunchy compressed look that you can’t achieve with a fluffy cotton ball. In the end, I took 3/8 x ˝ x 1 inch pieces of balsa wood which I contoured with a hammer. In other words, I beat down all of the corners and sides to an irregular “lumpy” shape. Next I coated the block with spray adhesive and tightly wrapped a piece of panty hose around it. Five pieces of black floral wire were used to create the metal bands. These are twisted and trimmed on the bottom to conceal the seam. The entire bale is then dipped in full strength brown Rit liquid dye to darken the panty hose and bring out the weave texture of burlap. When dry, I dab white tacky glue on the ends of the bales and dip them in Testor’s white Simulated Carpeting. This product is used to make floor carpeting in car models. I stumbled on it quite by accident when I bought some at a GATS show years ago thinking it was weathering powder. D’oh! I never threw it away and, after finding it in a box, saw that it had the perfect texture for compressed cotton.

Here is the final product with the prototype photo which served as the inspiration for it. Since the photo was taken in the 1930’s and my layout is set in 1955, I updated the tractor which I think is plausible.

I think these cotton bales may be my biggest innovation on the entire layout! I am seriously thinking of submitting the idea to MR as a future article. What do you guys think?

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 08/10/2008 10:59:17 PM

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff, thanks for the explanation - looks like a very good idea, simple, but effective. And it obviously works well, too, judging from all the photos I looked at on your web site. I think I may follow your lead when lighting my lower level. Great website, by the way!

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff;
Too bad you don't have any pictures that show the crane in operation with goods on the hook. Those are very convincing cotton bales. Sometimes the bales had black streaks in them. I think the gin got all the seeds out but not quite all the debris. The bales were a lot larger and perhaps more tightly compressed than the ones shown in your posted photos. It was in the middle 1970's and early 1980's that I saw cotton bales in Midland Texas where my Granddaddy farmed cotton and feed millet and when there was enough moisture corn and watermelons. The corn was for personal use. My Granddaddy loved roasting ears and ground his own cornmeal.
Well stopping rambling for now;
L&N nut
Jon

Gene
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

Very impressive use of kit-bashing for the Public Cotton Warehouse. I am always interested in how people use different available structures for kit-bashing. You certainly captured the massiveness of the industry. Very nice.
I would like your comments on the Sylvan steamer as I have yet to see a review of this model in the media. I am contemplating purchasing one to replace an old wooden model of the "American Scout" C-3 freighter. This was an old Sterling Model and the cutting dies were worn so it didn't go together as I would have liked. Needed lots of putty to fill in the seams in the superstructure.
Also, I have the same model of the riverboat, only mine is built as an R/C model to use here on the local lake. I hope to install smoke generators in the stacks and sound (Caliope Music) from the deck.
Very nice modeling. I have subscribed to this thread and will be watching your progess with interest.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I guess my memory is faulty. Perhaps what I am remembering is cotton before it was ginned. So forget my comments above. Sorry. The photos that I found that were at all like my memory appear to be before the cotton was ginned. Here are links to photos that are as close to my hazy memory as I found on a google image search:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/18/69176873_fea411c483.jpg?v=0

http://www.frbatlanta.org/publica/econ_south/2005/q2/images/cotton-farmed.jpg

Couldn't post the photos because of copyright hurah especially on flicker.

L&N nut
Jon

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff, I always look foward to your contributions and seeing pics of your progress. Your modeling is outstanding! I can't believe the progress you've made. Between your research and modeling skills, you have certainly achieved the feel of the port area. Outstanding!

Mark

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: anyone tried the new TCS Keep Alive decoders? Topic Next Topic: Great Canadian Layout: The Northland Route  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000