Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: Late July '08 - 'Billboard Reefers'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: Late July '08 - 'Billboard Reefers'
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: photo viewing tool Topic Next Topic: Tamaqua Critters
Page: of 4

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  3:57:50 PM  Show Profile
From the late 1800's up through 1937, the sides of refrigerated railroad cars (Reefers) were often painted with fancy advertising for the shippers using the cars. These rolling 'billboards' made for some interesting viewing as the trains rolled by.

In 1937, the Interstate Commerce Commission ruled that this practice had to end, and Billboard Reefers were not allowed in interchange service after that date.

Judging from the number of offerings of Billboard Reefers in all scales by many manufacturers, these cars continue to be popular with model railroaders.

I, too, have a weakness for these cars, and I have quite a collection -- even though they pre-date the time period of my layout.

So, if you have any pictures of 'Billboard Reefers', now is the time to post them.

In consideration for those on dial-up, please keep your photos to 80KB or smaller.

For those who like to plan ahead, the theme for the first half of August will be 'Diners/Greasy Spoons'.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  3:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Just to get us started, and to set the mood for the time period, here is a B&W photo of one of my reefers.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Bruce, you finally found a topic so I could post this car....

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  4:38:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Bruce, you finally found a topic so I could post this car....

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  5:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage
Here is the one on the Interchange program tour!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message
Simon, how did you do the streaky rust spots on the hopper they look great.

This is the only refer I have that received my first attept at weathering anything. I think its classed as a 'billboard refer' from the description Bruce gave.

Karl.A

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  9:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Good looking cars. Chuck, I need a Dutchman Ale car for my beer car collection. I sometimes run that collection at the clubís open houses. This one started as an undecorated Athern reefer. I painted it yellow and added Clover House dry transfers.

Way back in my teenage years I was a fan of Rege Cordic and was a regular listener to his morning radio show in Pittsburgh. He was the creator of Old Frothingslosh and had to have one of these.

George

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  9:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Simon, how did you do the streaky rust spots on the hopper they look great.

Karl.A

Karl, I purchased Scott Mason's weathering freight cars part 2. The one with Mike Rose and followed along with his oil paint technique. This was my first attempt and I was really pleased with it. Only snag is that it takes a week to dry!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  10:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message
A week!!!??? have I ever mentioned that I am not patient?

Your results certainly show the merits of the technique and a good reason to buy the DVD. Many thanks for the reply.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/16/2008 10:24:50 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Karl, very nice weathering on that reefer.

Simon, I also recommend that DVD. I also attended a clinic on this topic put on by Mike Rose which helped since we could ask questions as he worked. I wonder if the brand of oils and mineral spirits makes a difference? My cars dried quite quickly.

George, I love the Old Frothingslosh car. It is nice to see a car done up with dry transfers. I have a few of the Clover House sets, designed for reefers. Do you remember if you held the dry transfer sheets up to a light blub to warm them before burnishing?

Chuck, I'm sure that my version of the Dutchman Ale reefer will show up some time over the next week or so.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  07:43:54 AM  Show Profile
A few months ago, a friend brought some of his rolling stock over to my layout for some running time. He has been weathering his cars, and I thought they looked pretty good, so I snapped a few pictures. One was this reefer.

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  08:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Simon, I also recommend that DVD. I also attended a clinic on this topic put on by Mike Rose which helped since we could ask questions as he worked. I wonder if the brand of oils and mineral spirits makes a difference? My cars dried quite quickly.

I am sure you are right. Most likely the paint has the greatest impact. The type and the amount of oil used in the paint would have an effect. Presumably the drying environment would also have an effect.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  08:13:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi All:

Reefers are my favorite cars. I recently did a Turtle Creek Central reefer for George Sellios. It now resides on the F&SM RR. I have quite an extensive collection of them by everybody under the sun. I hoping Atlas will do a new run pretty soon. It's been a while since the last one. I enjoyed all the cars shown here today.

Karl S.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Karl, very nice weathering on that reefer.

George, I love the Old Frothingslosh car. It is nice to see a car done up with dry transfers. I have a few of the Clover House sets, designed for reefers. Do you remember if you held the dry transfer sheets up to a light blub to warm them before burnishing?

Chuck, I'm sure that my version of the Dutchman Ale reefer will show up some time over the next week or so.

Thanks, Bruce. I didnít pre heat them. It takes a little effort to get them snug around rivets, but it wasnít that difficult.

I attended a clinic by Mike Rose and also have his DVD. The more I play with oils, the more I like them. I use an old hair dryer to speed up the drying time (Mike used one in his clinic).

George

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Here are some examples of the reefers I run on my Hudson Highlands RR.

CNJ999

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  10:53:49 AM  Show Profile
John,

It looks like you have a nice collection of billboard reefers. I really like that Commonwealth Brewing car.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: photo viewing tool Topic Next Topic: Tamaqua Critters  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000