Railroad Line Forums - Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 258 ]  [ Total: 265 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood
Page: of 14

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  8:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was moving the layout from the flat to the room I stay in during the week so I could get more modelling done and I have found it is a pain in the arse to move.

It's not terribly heavy but it is big and unwieldy. The cover on the top slipped off when i was getting it out of the car and it damaged one of the lamp posts and one of the buildings a bit. Given it is not detailed yet the experiance has convinced me that it would be a lot better if the layout was in two sections. Its 4' long at the moment so cutting it into two 2' sections would be easier to handle

BUT

I'm not sure how I can make a non-sectional layout sectional!?

I think it is going to be difficult to do. I have almost worked it out. Cutting at the midpoint, roughly 3" to the right of the control panel in the fascia nearly misses the points/turnouts and crossing but not quite. The track is all glued down, soldered together and ballasted in place so I don't want to pull it all up (again!) so was wondering if anyone has any bright ideas on cutting? The roadbed is cork and the sub-roadbed is 10mm plywood over a pine frame.

I could cut the layout and reconnect the two bits as is however the track break would be over a frog or the points of a turnout (which i wouldn't do so I would make the track break over a Z shape).

I could make lining up the track a bit easier if I lengthened the layout by 2cm and moved the diamond so i could get off the straight line where the section break wants to go but that would mean re-doing the backdrop and some of the meagre scenery.

The headache comes because most of the track is parallel to the front of the layout but one track is at an angle meaning that if I shorten/lengthen the layout much the tracks won't all line up.

I guess I need to just bite the bullet and remake the backdrop and will make it harder to get the layout stiff but I can't see moving the layout by myself through doors without damaging something.

Writing it all down has clarified the options my mind but i'm wondering if i have overlooked an obvious different option?

I have included the track plan off the first page of this thread to help you visualise it (in addition to the photo in the post above) and hope I haven't confused you all with my descriptions!

Thanks for any suggestions I guess there was a reason why most section layouts over here seem to break down to sections about 2-3 feet long

Neil

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  08:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would leave well enough alone Neil and just get someone to help me when it needs to be moved.

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  11:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any good reason why the cut can't be at an angle - thus missing all turnouts and the crossing

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  4:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

It's not terribly heavy but it is big and unwieldy ..... Writing it all down has clarified the options my mind but i'm wondering if i have overlooked an obvious different option?

Hi Neil --

I hope so! Your layout looks great, and since it's still reasonably compact, I'd hate to see you cut it. I've built a completed larger layout in sections, and it required a great deal of work to make sure that the parts would disassemble and reassemble neatly while minimizing the appearance of the joint ... suspect it would be quite a challenge to go back and do that after construction.

So here's an idea ... or maybe a little food for thought. I have a larger layout (3x5) that's also a bit awkward, but I found that I can move it by attaching handles to the underside. On yours, you could hold the layout out in front of you like a shield as you pass thru a doorway ...

Since you have wooden framework, it would be a fairly simple matter to tip the layout on its back, as seen here, and screw in some handles temporarily for a move ... then remove them again when you're ready to set the layout flat. They could be arranged like the green handles shown here, or the yellow, or whatever suits ...

Likewise, you could use removable handles on the ends when you happen to have an assistant handy!

A variety of "handles" can be located at the hardware or DIY shop ... light handles for screen (porch) doors, heavy handles for shed/garage doors, light handles for kitchen cabinets, drawers, etc, etc. Get some that are big enough for your fingers to fit thru comfortably.

Hope this helps ... and if not, I hope you at least got a chuckle out of the "skillfully drawn" diagram!

PS -- Here's another idea ... but no time for another silly diagram! Some folks set large potted plants on little trolleys (low, wheeled carts) so they can be moved about the house ... you might be able to adapt something like that ... and if so, you may need some way to temporarily fix the layout to the trolley to keep them together while pushing. (I'm picturing the layout standing on end atop the trolley, so it can easily navigate hallways and doorways ...)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 03/13/2010 4:26:45 PM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  7:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys

Haha, I had thought of that TR but I don't always have someone to help

You might well be on to something there Jack! That's something I hadn't thought of. The angle would be a bit sharp to make the section break straight but I think I can introduce a Z-bend into the section break to make it fit.

Dallas_m, thanks for the suggestion. It's actually really good as I don't need to saw into anything (and the illustration is priceless ) however I'm a wee bit uneasy with putting the layout on end to move it. I tried it with the layout stripped of most of the detail parts and I didn't have too much coming loose so I think i could roll it about on a small trolley but I would be concerned about parts on the scenery/details breaking loose and need to figure out an easier way to fit it in the car.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  09:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been lugging my 2x4 foot (NMRA) HO modules around for 20 years, and if I couldn't stand them on end, I couldn't even get them down my stairs. My scenic details either are well-fastened down (wires drilled into the feet of figures, my big tree has a machine screw into the bottom of its soldered-copper-cable trunk) or removable so they travel separately (cows, cars, telephone poles in a box, buildings wrapped in bubble-pak). This is why all the structures on my module are styrene. It's not detailed to George Selios's level, but it's done OK in contests: http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/gallery/

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  12:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those pics are really large for my dial-up so they didn't all download but the ones that did looked great James.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures there. I agree, with a bit of planning i can make the scenery able to withstand being turned on end.

I won't be moving it as often as your modules so it won't have to withstand quite as much abuse

Thanks for the suggestion on moving the layout. It saved me some serious surgery to the layout

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  08:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much detail in a small area. Well done mate.

Operation, building construction, scenery, water fronts, etc..............
Pity this sort of thing is not promote more for the young newbie's in the hobby, instead of the MR 8' x 4' stuff...

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mario, it means a lot coming from you. As you can see I haven't updated in a while but I think I can feel an update coming on!

I know what you mean about typical US starter layouts. They seem to me to concentrate on continuous running over being able to do anything else. The European publications are often more varied as many people (myself included) don't have enough space for even a 4x8 layout so there are many more switching layouts in magazines.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  12:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As you can see I haven't updated in a while but I think I can feel an update coming on!"

O.K., you promised, no going back now!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  1:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

O.K., you promised, no going back now!

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil - you have come a long way since I last checked in.....
A job well done!!! And, I am really impressed with the 0-4-4-0T!
I love tankers! I am still looking for the roco 0-4-4-0T that
I can afford...LOL!
Thanks for sharing and keep it going!!!

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  6:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Niel i love how sinple the plan is and the fact it provides oportunity for loads of detail.
Im trying to settle on a trak plan for a layout of simmilar size to fit ontop of a bookshelf in my appartment.

As mario Mentioned this side of the hobby should probably be pushed a bit more as i can see it is a good way to develope skills without having the chalange of scenery for an 8x4 layout. I have enough trouble trying to fill a 1 square foot diorama ide hate to see how long it would take me to do a 8x4 layout.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  07:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright guys?

There have been changes since I last made a proper update to this thread but there is still plenty to keep me occupied!

I like seeing overviews so this is what my layout is looking like at the moment from about shoulder height.

I have removed the track over the water in preparation for building the pier and the two structures at the front of the layout haven't been started but the structures behind the tracks are mostly done. The latest factory on the left is about half of an Atlas Middlesex Manufacturing and I am thinking about adding a single storey wooden extension in the middle of the roof however I quite like the variation in roof lines that I have a the moment so it will be quite small.

To the right of the layout the dock scene is coming on quite nicely. I don't intend to add any further structures although I was thinking about a sort of open sided loading shed in front of the track on the right to partially hide where the track hits the backdrop and a few more cranes.

In the centre, Shore Street is looking nice and busy from this angle. I am going to have a couple of bread/vegetable/newspaper sellers set up where the carts are parked on the road in front of the fence as that is something that seems to get photographed a lot in the 1930s.

As you can see the 0-4-4-0T is soldiering away is it's factory colours.

This is an angle I am not sure I have posted before. The track disappears between the factory buildings and through a hole in the backdrop to the (future) fiddle yard. The track between the two buildings is actually a transfer table that completes the runaround on the layout however when finished I hope to be able to photograph it in either position with the scene looking complete.

Sorry about the focus on some of the photos. The light wasn't bright enough to be able to hand hold the camera on with a small aperture.

So still to do are make a start on the two structures at the front (they will be the signature structures I guess so I want them to come out well) and the pier as that is the one car destination that is currently unusable. I think I will repaint the water a darker colour too.

Thanks for looking

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000