Railroad Line Forums - Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood
Page: of 14

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  5:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil somehow I missed your June post, I agree that the sky looks a little white-ish. However these last two photos are spot on, the backdrops are a great scale and in perspective with the foreground! Can you colorize the backdrop in the first pic?

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  6:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks TR, I have a copy of photoshop on this computer and my intention is to colour the backdrops but i need to learn to use it and i want to get the 3D modelling more complete first.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  01:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the interrelation of water and sky, but there are large variations... Agitated water reflects light from all around, including buildings, the sky behind you etc, and provides small "peepholes" into the water itself. Thus the depth and self colour of the water plays a role. Water is not a perfect mirror, so dark colors are lighter in the reflection, and light colors darker.Here's an example of brown tinted harbor water visible in the peepholes in between the reflections of the sky, and with very bad reflection of the city:

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Edited by - kirk on 09/17/2009 01:53:44 AM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  6:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday i took another painful decision. I hadn't originally intended to have a backdrop on the right-hand end of the layout but i have found that I nearly always wanted one in my photos so I added one permanently.

To do that and be able to fit the layout in my car without a huge struggle I had to cut 5mm off the end of the layout! (only about 1/4" but crucial) What a pain in the hole. I don't have any power tools so cut it the hard way through the centre of the pine plank that makes up the end of the layout and then plane it square.

I'm now putting the 4th coat of sky blue onto the backdrop and trying to get all the brush marks out as far as possible. This is the fourth time i've modified the overall size of the layout but I [think] this is it settled now (i've said that before )

Now I need to keep up the momentum I have gained and get on with the rest of the layout

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  7:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes to go forward you have to go backward first Neil, we have all done that. We didn't like it either !

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  8:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Sometimes to go forward you have to go backward first Neil, we have all done that. We didn't like it either !

Ain't that the truth!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  9:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,

Congratulations on taking that huge step. It's always difficult to tear something down that you've already built, but it sounds like you'll be more pleased in the long run.

Brassking2000
New Hire

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  2:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Brassking2000 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Neil: Very nice build, I have to finish Billy Miner Brewery before I start this kit.
Exactly what scale are you modeling, is this (TT) please contact me off line if it is. Thanks, Bob C Brassking2000@yahoo

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  05:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,
what kit are you referring to? I don't remember talking about one recently.

I'm modelling in HO, not TT but if there is anything I can maybe help with then ask away.

You might want to edit your post to remove the email address. There are computer programmes that scour the internet looking for email addresses to send spam (junk advertising emails) to. If a member wants to email you they can click on your user name and an option to email comes up.

bcfan1064
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how is the layout doing? Just stopped in for a look. I really like the "converted steam engine"

-Barry S

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  2:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Neil, we are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over due for an update!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  6:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha, i know, i've been very slow to update for the last year i think!

I moved flat before christmas and am trying to get modelling and train time but i am not succeeding very well.

This is the current state of play:

but the layout is very bare because I put everything that isn't glued down in boxes for the move. As you can see I have three major buildings largely complete (but without final detailing) and three that have not been started and are mocked up in cardboard.

I work away from here during the week so try and take small projects I can be getting on with during the week that I can then add to the layout at the weekend but it's slow progress

Thank you very much for the interest. I appreciate it as it gives me a jolt of motivation to do a bit more the layout

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcfan1064

So how is the layout doing? Just stopped in for a look. I really like the "converted steam engine"

-Barry S

That is one of the projects I am procrastinating about during the week. I'll take my soldering iron across this week so i can make the foot boards for that engine.

I have also found out that in the 1920s a law was passed that prohibited steam locomotives in NYC because of the smoke, but I think that might have been only Manhattan and not New Jersey. I will just hope that people won't notice that detail when the steam locos are on the layout.

I have also been thinking of making a box-cab diesel based on a Bachmann 45 Ton diesel. I really like the side rods and the mechanism is tiny

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  6:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, I can assure you that if you hadn't mentionned this law, I would not have been puzzled had you run a steam train across Broadway...

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000