Railroad Line Forums - Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood
Page: of 14

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  05:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd better wire up the layout (I'd got this far without running any trains - a bit risky ) so I've been doing that for the last 2 days.

Wiring Peco Electrofrog turnouts (live frog) is a lot more complicated than my last layout with Peco insulated frog turnouts but the insulated frogs (which never caused a problem because the electrically dead section was only about 5mm long, not like the Atlas turnouts) aren't available in Code 75 rail .

I've been putting in the little slide switches below the layout that will be pushed by the turnout linkage and change the polarity of the Frog. Even though there are only 4 to do the two that are on the quay above the harbour are being a bit of a headache.

This is the last section of work I have to do for the late summer challenge so it's spurring me on to have a deadline

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I've been putting in the little slide switches below the layout that will be pushed by the turnout linkage and change the polarity of the Frog."

I haven't seen a track plan, does your layout have a reverse loop or wye?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  08:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, you've made some great progress! That's going to be a really nice layout. I'm enjoying following along.

Mark

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it has a run-around loop (the section of track on the top left is a transfer table) and the internal corrections in the Peco Electrofrog turnouts are such that if a turnout receives power from the frog end (rather than the point end) it will cause a short circuit when set to the diverging route so the run-around needs to be split into two sections electrically.

There is also a cross-over off the loop and because it is fed from both ends it needs to be isolated from both (because of the frogs) and a DPDT switch to select the polarity of it.

Using my skillz in MS Paint I have tried help you envisage it. Each coloured bit of track is insulated from the others but the layout is one elctrical block. All the frogs also have their own supply that will change polarity depending on which way the track is switched (except for the frogs on the crossing, they have to be changed manually)

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Edited by - Neil M on 09/05/2008 09:27:16 AM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  12:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, wiring a mini layout isn't that bad

Just tip the layout onto its back and work away

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil I've used Peco Electro-frogs for years and with your trackplan there is no need to reverse polarity. You just need to put insulated rail joiners at the "toe" ends of the switches then feeders on the other side of the insulaters. No need for the slide switches either unless you are using them to throw the points.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  1:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm at the library so this is a little crude but hopefully it will help to explain it. The short thick orange lines would be the insulators.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/05/2008 1:08:52 PM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  08:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tyson,
I get what you are saying. I decided to add the slide switches under the layout so that the point blades wouldn't be the only connection to carry current through the switch. I generally found the code 100 switches to be ok but occasionally needed a clean and thought i might as well make the effort on this layout as it is a movable layout that I would like to exhibit one day and having potential dead spots in the track was something I wanted to avoid.

You only need insulating sections in the rail where two switches face each other at the frog ends so you wouldn't need insulators on the siding to the rear or two sets of insulators between the switches on the front or rear tracks (marked on the green and blue sections) or between the two switches in the blue section (because they both face the same way). The black lines on my marked up plan are where the feeders are.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  6:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, now I understand I think? I just didn't get what reversing the polarity was all about.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  06:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the trains running last night.

It only took me two hours of trouble shooting to get it all to work properly I had to drop three more feeders because I'd forgotten to wire up one track section and the factory-attached feeders to the frogs on the crossing were not up to scratch (one started smoking!).

I haven't got the transfer table wired up yet (A sector plate would be easier to get to work, though not as flexible. I'm planning to be able to use one of the tracks on the transfer table as staging)

I was measuring the quay last night and it is 14 feet above the water level. Does that seem rather high? A lot of the pictures I have seen of the Hoboken waterfront seem to be 8-10 feet above water level. Raising the water level would be a pain to do but the quay looks too tall to me now. What do people think?

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Now with added sea!

Neil, I went back thru your thread and can't find who's boats/ships you used in the photo above. Could you fill in the names for us?
As for the height of the scene, I think its really up to you, but that said the extra height will give some more opportunities to add additional details like stairs ladders maybe an extra floating platform to help when the tide comes in and out. Pat

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pat,
they are from Artitec http://www.artitec.nl/index_2.htm. Go to HO Scale and scroll down to Ships. The two in the photo above are (left to right) 50.114 Shrimp Cutter and 50.107 Framtid Fisher (trawler). I get them from Langley Minitures in the UK (see distributors on the front page).

They are two fishing boats that are really more suited to my other layout, which is a more rural/small port setting back in my flat in Glasgow. I plan to replace them on this layout with 50.120 Havensleepboot (harbour tugboat) and a barge (possibly 50.102 but it is quite small so maybe something more like the LaserKit model) and 50.104 which is a small coastal and inland freighter. Their castings are exquisite.

I get what you are saying about the height of the quay. I think that is the problem, it is a bit too high for my taste once I added on the height of the roadbed and the track to bring it up to railhead level.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  6:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Neil! Adjust the height to suit your tastes as Pat said. I spent 2 years working in Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. ) and everytime I was on a dock/pier the water level was different depending on the tides and the moon.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  5:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing had been happening on the layout recently so I decided to concentrate on one area in the last few days

I did raise the sea level to 9 feet below railhead level in the end and i find it more visually pleasing.

The pavement on the top of the quay is made out of tile grout (an idea i got off here) rather than Pollyfilla, which i would have used before, and I quite liked it. It's not as sticky as Polyfilla (you probably have it under a different name in north america but it is a lot like Hydrocal only not quite as fine) so didn't get everywhere and was easier to mold and shape but I'm a bit concerned that it will flake off the plywood or cardboard under it since it is not as sticky.

The warehouse at the back has the first coat of paint and I am playing with a mock-up of the structure to the right.

Thanks for reading

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  7:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000