Railroad Line Forums - Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood
Page: of 14

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  07:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil it's looking good! I never had success with the gloss medium hiding the grain so I would put a thin layer of plaster over the wood first.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  08:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,
Nice progress, I agree you will have to cover the wood grain with something thicker than the paint.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tyson.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. That was what I found with my last layout. It took about 7 or 8 layers of varnish to cover the wood grain and I don't have quite that much patience/gloss medium.

I'll give it a skim with filler first

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All these overview shots I have been posting are all very well but they don't get in close enough to show the details I am trying to model.

The quay wall is the first section of scenery that is approaching completion. I want to add wood fenders to the wall as are in this kit: http://www.artitec.nl/10143.htm and a set of steps built into the wall would be a neat detail but I'm not sure if I have a place to do it.

It is made up of Wills plastic sheets of dressed cut stone. They have a nice texture to them but are only about 4" by 6" so it took three of them side by to make up the wall. The joints (you can see one in this picture) are fairly discreet and will be covered over by the wood fenders (i'm not totally sure if that's the correct name for the pieces of wood attached to the quay wall to act as a cushion between the vessel and the wall but that is what I mean, I think fenders might be the tyres etc. that are hung off the boat to do the same job).

I need to sort out a light source! The photo above looks good (too bright if anything) on my laptop at home but dull and dirty and a bit greenish on the work computer, but I notice that some peoples photos come out very nicely on the work computer.

Neil

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,

I think that those dressed cut stone sheets make for a nice quay wall. As with a lot of stone/brick sheeting, don't you just wish they would come in one meter lenghts? Anyway, those wood bumpers supports will do a great job of hiding the joint.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  04:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,
I was building the loading dock for the freight transfer building last night and I'm a bit puzzled.

I built it according to the NMRA standards gauge and it looks good but it looks a bit too high. The loading doc is 4 (scale) feet above the railhead and is flush with a Roundhouse 32' flatcar I have on the layout but is a good bit above the floor of the Atlas 36' reefer you can see in the photo below.

Does anyone know, is a 4' dock normal for the 1930's or higher than most at the time and a 4' dock came later?

I still need to add pilasters along to front of the dock, to match the building, and blending the two together when painting will be a bit of a challenge because I couldn't get HO scale brick sheets to make the dock so had to use OO scale and the bricks aren't the same size!

Cheers,
Neil

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  07:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your waterfront theme, and you're making fine progress. If you want correct colours on your computer, and can afford it, a Pantone Huey color calibrator is the cheapest way to get good and consistent colours on your computer(s). Easy to use too. In Denmark it costs about 100 €.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Hi folks,
I was building the loading dock for the freight transfer building last night and I'm a bit puzzled.

I built it according to the NMRA standards gauge and it looks good but it looks a bit too high. The loading doc is 4 (scale) feet above the railhead and is flush with a Roundhouse 32' flatcar I have on the layout but is a good bit above the floor of the Atlas 36' reefer you can see in the photo below.

Does anyone know, is a 4' dock normal for the 1930's or higher than most at the time and a 4' dock came later?

Cheers,
Neil

Hi Neil,
Good looking scene.

I don't know the specific answer to your question about when 4' high docks became the norm but I am building a loading dock at present.
It is part of the FOS Scale Limited kit Forley & Company.
The loading dock is 4 feet above the ground with the qualification in the instructions that the track is on the same level as the structure.

John Bagley

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  10:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John. With the FOS kit you are building, does it assume that the track and the building will be sitting on the same sheet of plywood? So the 4' dock would work out at about 3' above railhead level once you factor in the thickness of the sleepers (ties?) and rail?

Thanks for the suggestion Kirk (as an aside, my dad is Danish and I'd like to visit, though I haven't been there so far) but I'm not sure if there's any point at the moment. I have a Mac at home that I do my picture editing on (but no web access) and the work computer is a PC and not mine so I wouldn't want to be spending any of my money on it. I think it's the lighting when I take the photos and the camera I am using that it the main reason for disappointing pictures. I should get an anglepoise for detail shots like above and take the layout outside for overviews (between torrential downpours!)

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  10:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Thanks John. With the FOS kit you are building, does it assume that the track and the building will be sitting on the same sheet of plywood? So the 4' dock would work out at about 3' above railhead level once you factor in the thickness of the sleepers (ties?) and rail?

That is correct Neil.
It says in the instructions that if the track sits on some roadbed the height of the dock would have to be adjusted.

John Bagley

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  11:04:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. That's good information there, thanks. I think I'll measure some more cars, see what the general consensus is with them and size the dock accordingly. I thought there might be a standard size and that it would look weird if I cut the dock down.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  12:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,the Huey will run on a Mac, and would ensure that you get the colours right at the editing level... what others see depends on their screen setting, but at least you'll get it right for yourself! And my own experience is, that EVERYTHING looks better on my screen after I got my Huey. Of course, I know you can get a locomotive for the money... I had to get one, to have correct colors for my website (I'm a landscape painter)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  6:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neil
Very nice and steady progress on the mini.
Peter

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  04:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cut about 6" off the height of the dock and it looks a lot better now. Thanks for the advice

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000