Railroad Line Forums - Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Freelanced Hoboken waterfront mini in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood
Page: of 14

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Neil!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  05:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been slow progress since my last update but the track is now ready to be ballasted (no pics yet)

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, I just caught up with your thread and it looks great! I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Mark

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement everyone

I was out looking for bits at the weekend and picked a package of Woodland Scenics autumn fine leaf foliage in the shop. The colours are too bright so will have to be toned down but they caught my imagination so i'll be modelling autumn on this layout. It also fits with the whole recession/black economy/racketeering vibe i'm going for

It'll make a change from spring/summer on my layout back in Glasgow (and my previous layouts). I had thought about modelling winter but it'd be a lot of work and i thought that with all the urban and industrial buildings the layout would end up looking a bit too grey for my tastes without any greenery to lighten things up.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  04:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two steps forward and one back

One thing that had been bugging me was storage and transportation of this layout. Last night i measured the back seat of my car and found that it was 126cm wide. That would mean i'd have to fold the back seat down to get the layout in the car which would eat into my space for other stuff

Remember how i had said that the track was a bit more compact in real life than on the plan? Well taking out all the slack would allow me to fit the layout on the back seat of my car so last night i pulled up all the track and cut down the frame to 125 cm long

hopefully in a few days i'll be back to where i was and ready to run some trains. I knew this would bug/worry me if i didn't do it but even so it was a pisser having to undo completed work.

On the bright side it does give me an opportunity to cut holes in the roadbed to allow me to use remote point control and power routing switch frogs

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  07:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pain to do but a wise move in the long run I'm sure.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thatís tough, Neil. Good thing you caught it when you did.

George

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for an update

I'm now pretty much back to where I was last week but also with a sky. It's a long weekend here so I'm going away with my girlfriend but I'm pleased to have made progress after last weeks let-down.

Once i attach the main bus to the track feeders I'll be able to start running some trains Tests of the trackwork so far show it is nice and smooth but the gaps in the railhead left by the insulating rail joiners are unacceptable (1-2mm) so I'll fill them with epoxy and file them down so stop the loud click the wheels make passing over the gaps.

Now the boring bit (for me) is nearly done and I'll be able to get on with the scenery and structures

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neil:

I really like your mini. Like some others who have posted, waterfront scenery is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby.

How are you going to model the water? I tend to prefer the simple coat of gloss medium over paint. While maybe not the "best" way to model water, it does tend to be the most forgiving with mistakes.

Keep up the great work

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  08:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Miles,
I'm going to model the water with a black paint to represent deep water then a thick coat of varnish to create a shine. I want to add waves with gloss medium but will probably leave it a while because I am nervous about messing it up. I'm a bit reassured that you say it is forgiving.

I've been looking for boats/ships that are more typical to a city harbour. Artitec, who made the two fishing boat kits on the layout just now, also make a very good looking steam harbour tug (http://www.artitec.nl/50120.htm) though the prices have gone up a lot since I bought the ones I have. A freight barge like http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/152-8000 or a freighter like http://www.artitec.nl/50104.htm in front of the pier would be great too, if I can fit it in!

Edited by - Neil M on 08/01/2008 09:33:17 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  09:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Thanks Miles,
I'm going to model the water with a black paint to represent deep water then a thick coat of varnish to create a shine. I want to add waves with gloss medium but will probably leave it a while because I am nervous about messing it up. I'm a bit reassured that you say it is forgiving.

Hi Neil,
I have also done water like Miles using Gloss medium over paint.
I have done waves by using a thin line of caulk that I teased to represent rough water.
I then highlighted these using white paint.
Works well and the best part is that if you do not like them then the waves can be easily removed with a putty knife.

Here is a picture from a previous attempt.
I have removed the waves since I am incorporating this into a larger scene.
Inexpensive and very easy way to model water.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  09:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John.

The type of water I'd really like to model is the quieter, more sheltered type you posted in Mikes' photo in the Scenery thread

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  10:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can still use John's and Miles method, just leave out the waves by not using the thin line of caulk.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  10:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very good DVD with the method Miles and John talk about. One of the best water making how-to's I've ever seen. Building Waterways on your Model Railroad with Dave Frary and Bob Hayden BUILD: Ponds Streams Rivers Harbors Waterfalls.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  03:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for an update again

Sorry about the blurry photo. The lights weren't very bright.

Since my last update I have painted the rails (not something I'd like to do too often!), ballasted the track with a mix of WS cinders and dark grey ballast, started on the road (brick) and the quay wall (brick and cut stone) and built up the sub-base for the gently sloping ground between the harbour and the road.

I went to Dublin on Saturday and got some gloss medium so I can have a go at the water in the harbour, but I want to build the pier fist. At the moment the water is just painted plywood but the grain is a bit visible on the surface. Should I fill the grain before treatment or will it be covered over by the gloss medium when it is put on thickly enough to make waves?

Neil

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge Topic Next Topic: morning mood  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000