Railroad Line Forums - FOS - The Ludlow Building - O Scale Scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 173 ]  [ Total: 174 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 FOS - The Ludlow Building - O Scale Scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lous Star Diner Billboard Topic Next Topic: Finest Screen mesh I have ever seen
Page: of 6

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  7:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really something to watch you build.. Great modeling!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  11:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks KP, here are the last instalments of the build, I just finished it, except for the 'completed pics' which I'll do in the day light tomorrow.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  11:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to split this into two or three posts as there are a bunch of pics.....

The roofers finally showed up and installed the tarpaper roofs, although I'm not so sure of where they got the tarpaper, kinda looks 'pre-used' to me.....

The billboards also got installed and a few details got left lying around....

The electrician also showed up and installed the lighting for the billboards...

The last four doors were also made and installed into the shopfronts.

All in all it was a busy day at Ludlows.

To bring the finished structure up to code all that was required was the fire alarm. Here is how that went........

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/04/2008 11:03:07 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  12:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For the fire bell initially I was going to use one of those little wooden plugs they use in furniture to hide the screws, but........ I know I have a packet around some where but high and low I couldnt find them, obviously they will turn up tomorrow as soon as I am looking for something else in the garage .

So, the hunt was on for something else to use, I ended up deciding on a carriage bolt whose head looked about right.

I used the dremel and ground off the raised lettering on the head, then I decapitated it.

The next step was to grind the back smooth so that I could attach a spacer to represent the bell mechanism.

The search was back on in the garage, this time for something with a slightly smaller diameter to use as a spacer, I typically found a ton of things that were exactly the same diameter, the only thing slightly smaller was a wire nut.

I sliced a portion of the wirenut off and sanded it smooth.

I then centered this onto the back of the carriage bolt head and dropped in some CA.

This 'assembly' was then primed and painted red with rattle cans, I found some dry transfers and added the lettering (three times till I got it right, well , right enough, I actually ran out of 'F's )

I CA'd the part to the wall and added some black chalk to dirty it up a little.

Job done, structure finished , on to the next one.

Take care,
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/04/2008 12:14:41 AM

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  12:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice building and very nice workmanship, congrats on a great build....

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  07:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Those are some very nice 'finishing touches'. I love the way you cobbled up the fire bell!

Bruce

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with the comments. I also love the fire bell and how you came up with it. Very cool.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Structure Karl!

Philip

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it, this was an enjoyable build and I learned a thing or two along the way.

Thanks again,
Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  10:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some finished pics.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/04/2008 10:44:43 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, that's some really incredible scratch building! Your solution for the fire bell is brilliant! And the whole block of businesses is beautiful. Great stuff!

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweeeet!!!!!!!!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  12:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike I really appreciate it, I'm pleased with how it all came out.

Take care,
Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  06:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, this is a magnificent build. My friend Alexander Zelkin was there this week-end and I showed him this structure. He, too, found that it was an extremely beautiful work. Congratulations on finishing it!

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just plain outstanding! You did an amazing job. Thanks for sharing it.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Lous Star Diner Billboard Topic Next Topic: Finest Screen mesh I have ever seen  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000