Railroad Line Forums - Styrofoam Walls
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Styrofoam Walls
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: RR Dioramas and Vignettes Topic Next Topic: Weathering-Lite?
Page: of 3

Don Railton
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  11:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of us who scratch build it is not always easy to model a brick building without using Hydrocal or commercially available walls. I have found that polystyrene thermal insulation (Styrofoam) is excellent material to use for scratch building brick walls. It takes some practice and patience with an X-Acto and a ruler but you can get fairly good results.

The attached photos are of a 1:32 scale urban deli that I have been working on which is 50% complete. All of the brick was carved into the foam board. The mortar was made with a watery mixture of spackle.

If anyone has used this process in HO scale, please post some shots. I doubt I would have the patience or eyesight for anything smaller than O.

Don

Don Railton
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  11:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
opps...left out my My Fotki site:

http://public.fotki.com/donrailton/

Don

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
FRIGGIN AWESOME DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used this stuff for my 1/16 scale cobbles.
Had planned to try it for a stucco over brick wall, now I gotta!
Not sure how/if I could use it in 1:48, but its worth a try.
Thanks for sharing - great stuff!
-Marty

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don

That is some really outstanding brick work. Very impressive!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  1:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don-
Have you exhibited your work anywhere? I remember seeing similar high-quality urban vignettes at the OK Harris gallery in NYC.
-Dave

-Dave

Ho Henry
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  1:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don

Great viginette, excellent picture, the inner city's are full of decayed buildings still in use.

You've captured the feel of the ghetto in your artwork! If you haven't already done so, strongly suggest you bring your work to available shows. Your work deserves to be noticed.

Thanks for the tip of using styrofoam in this manner.

ho henry

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  2:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, that's some beautiful work. Very, very realistic looking. You say it's only 50% completed. I can't imagine how you could improve on what you've already done. I look forward to seeing more pictures as you complete this scene.

Don Railton
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your comments.

Dave - I have displayed models at NNGC 2005 thru 2007 and at the Craftman Structure Show 2007.

Funny you should mention OK Harris. I have never displayed anything there but I visited the museum a couple of weeks ago to see an exhibition of 1/12 scale scratch built vehicles by Tim Prythero (http://www.timprythero.com/). I will be back there in November to view the 1/24 scale urban environments of Al Wolfson(http://www.alanwolfson.net/sculptures.htm).

Check their sites. Both are excellent miniature artisans where we all can draw some inspiration.

Don

http://public.fotki.com/donrailton/

compressor man
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  5:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,
That looks fantastic, you wouldnt by any chance have any step-by-step photos of your brickmaking process would you? I would really like to see how you carve them. Did you use the blue insulation that builders apply to house walls?

Regards,
Chris

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  5:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Modest Don is not telling you is that he cleaned up at the NG Convention and won everything that was going with his 1/32nd Lobster Wharf . Looks like he could do so again at this year's Convention , if he were to attend .

Great looking brickwork , Don . Now you will have to do a bit more explaining on how you achieved it . You can't just post these photos and hope to get away with not telling us ,

NickO

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  6:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don Railton

Dave - I have displayed models at NNGC 2005 thru 2007 and at the Craftman Structure Show 2007.

Funny you should mention OK Harris. I have never displayed anything there but I visited the museum a couple of weeks ago to see an exhibition of 1/12 scale scratch built vehicles by Tim Prythero (http://www.timprythero.com/). I will be back there in November to view the 1/24 scale urban environments of Al Wolfson(http://www.alanwolfson.net/sculptures.htm).
Don

Don-
Forgive me for confusing your work with Wolfson's, but there are similarities, at least on this computer screen. I tracked down your peanut butter lid challenge piece and enjoyed seeing it one again. One correction-- OK Harris is a working gallery, not a museum. Maybe you should show the director (is it still Ivan Karp?) some photos of your work when you're there again.
-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 06/02/2008 6:43:49 PM

Larry Baker
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  7:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! I'm at a loss for words. Excellent.

Edited by - Larry Baker on 06/04/2008 1:43:05 PM

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Work Don. The scene has a great feel to it and the craftsmanship is top notch.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don
WOW! Spectacular workmanship. How about a detailed tutorial on how it is done?
Peter

Don Railton
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  8:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments and your interest. I'll take some shots of the steps and post this week.

Don

Don Railton
Section Hand

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  8:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
Don-
Forgive me for confusing your work with Wolfson's, but there are similarities, at least on this computer screen. I tracked down your peanut butter lid challenge piece and enjoyed seeing it one again. One correction-- OK Harris is a working gallery, not a museum. Maybe you should show the director (is it still Ivan Karp?) some photos of your work when you're there again.
-Dave

[/quote]

Dave - If he finds out I called it a museum he might throw me out.

Don

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: RR Dioramas and Vignettes Topic Next Topic: Weathering-Lite?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000