Railroad Line Forums - Craftsman Structure Manufacturer Listing Question?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Craftsman Structure Manufacturer Listing Question?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: forgot blistering paint technique Topic Next Topic: best structure weathering DVD video ?  

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A while back I had helped create one of the sticky threads called "Craftsman Structure Manufacturer Listing". Here's the link to it: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19714

Would anyone out there be interested in maybe adding some additional information in this thread? I was thinking of possibly adding a second list within the thread for craftsman structure manufacturers that are no longer in business. Your first impression may be, what's the point!? My thinking is that there were some pretty decent kit manufacturers that are no longer around that I'm not aware of and I'm sure some others aren't aware of either. If we knew about 'em then we would be able to maybe track them down on eBay or some other forum, etc.

If there's enough interest, maybe I could attach a quick link to an eBay search for that particular defunct manufacturer...?? For example:

~ Magnuson Models: http://toys.search.ebay.com/magnuson_Model-RR-Trains_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR9QQfromZR9QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsacatZ479

I would need alot of help for this one because I'm only aware of a few defunct manufacturers.

Anyway, what does everyone out there think about this..??

John Knapp
Sellersville, PA

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1292

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be useful for those of us who attend show/swap meets, plus those who venture into the e-bay world.

I could help out with a number of older manufacturers whose kits sit on my 'to-to' shelf.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  5:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,
I have a couple of manufactures you could add to your list.

Mainline & Siding Wood Structures

Historical Scale Models

Both offered HO Kits. I can offer more info. on the first one if your interested. Also I can might pull out a few others from the ol brain.

Michael

clif
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  5:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also add Tom's Railroad Corner

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  09:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi...thanks for the info. Not sure yet if it's worth the effort..?? I guess I'll watch this thread a little longer to see if others become interested. Right now it seems like a pretty limited interest.

Thanks again for the replies.

John Knapp
Sellersville, PA

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1292

David from Portland
New Hire

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few more:

Steam Era Structures
Imagination Station
Rocky Mountain Model Works
Timberline Scale Products
Smokey Hollow Products
Timberline Models

David

David from Portland
New Hire

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought of another one: Imagineering Scale Structures.

David

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John:

Sounds like a good idea to me. I believe most of the Magnuson stuff is now made by SS Ltd.

Karl S.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  1:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model Masterpieces - wonderful plaster (dental stone) structures, detail parts and styrene windows, etc. The Model Masterpieces molds seem to have disappeared, which is a -real shame-!

dave (who finally paid through-the-nose on eBay to get an extra stall kit for the CM roundhouse to build a 6 stall building...)

DaKra
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  6:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats up with Micro-Scale? His website pictures are mostly broken links, and his email bounces. Is he out of business? That'd be a damn shame, his structures are some of the best IMHO.

Dave

David from Portland
New Hire

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  6:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another one is New England Scale Models, or something close to that. They did a pallet and box diorama kit, named Chalk River? Pallet and Box. It comes up on Ebay about once a year. I think there were other kits, as well.

Re Micro-Scale...I noticed the broken links also. Doesn't look very prosperous at the moment.

David

Edited by - David from Portland on 05/25/2008 6:32:07 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  6:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At one time Quality Craft Models offered wood craftsman structures - stripwood and scribed siding that and the openings stamped in the walls (you had to cut the openings out). They usually had cast metal windows, doors and a handful of other metal castings.

Quality Craft Models changed names at some point into Gloor Craft models, and continued offering quite a line of wood structures.

Muir Models was another company with similar wood kits, but used styrene windows & doors (Grandt-Line?). I have three of their neat kits 'on the shelf': Logging Saw Mill; Dover Limestone Quarry; Suds Brothers Brewery.

Muir Models had a 'division' called SpeedCraft Models. Nice structures, using cardstock and stripwood.

Walker Model Services offered some resin structures at one point in time, as did Chooch.

Durango Press had a line of models as well as their 'detail items'. I have their "Dutchman Minining Supply" kit.

You see many of these kits at shows or on e-Bay.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Edited by - Dutchman on 05/25/2008 6:53:24 PM

katanauser
New Hire

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  1:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suydam?

David from Portland
New Hire

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one I wasn't sure about is New England Structures, the kit is Chalker Beach Crate and Pallet. There is one on Ebay at the moment.

David

Previous Topic: forgot blistering paint technique Topic Next Topic: best structure weathering DVD video ?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000