Railroad Line Forums - Building the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 66 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Black-Rock Canyon Topic Next Topic: Old Rails as Trestle Stringers
Page: of 100

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  02:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
Here is the track plan...

(replaced, see post below)

The plan is very simple, but I want to emphasize the scenery and have the uncluttered feel of the desert. It provides for continuous running with the removable bridge in place at the room entry. Remove the bridge, and it becomes a point to point. Trains will operate between the hidden staging track and Sonora Grande. A branch line serves the mine at Estrella, which also has hidden staging. The layout can keep at least four trains busy: a passenger train, a local freight, a railtruck and an ore train. It should be fun to build, to operate, or to just watch trains roll!

Next I plan to create a 3-D virtual model of the layout to confirm the terrain and sightlines...I will post pictures when complete.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 05/22/2008 07:47:19 AM

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  04:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage
Verne wrote: I am terrified of making the wrong choice at this stage and being saddled with a layout I end up not enjoying.

Verne,

Fear of getting it exactly right can cause you to never get around to building your layout.

As you learn with each layout, anytime you have to tear it out just means you can do a better job next time.

I was the founding member of the Layout Of The Month Club. I used to start a new layout about one a month. I had a blast and my friends thought I was nuts. But who cares?

I admire those people who have had just one layout that has lasted years. But that is not for me.

Main thing is not to allow the uncertainty of getting it right actually causing you to accomplish nothing.

Darryl Huffman
Anchorage, Alaska

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  06:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Verne, I really like the trackplan as your philosophy for the trains is the same as mine, scenery over operational. I only see a single staging track and wonder is that all you need or want? Or just not drawn in yet. Have you thought of bringing the trains into this area from the curve in the 11" section, I think a smoother radius could be used, I know your way it shows more track, but with my suggestion would open that entire area for scenery. Just a thought or 2, can't wait to see you start, my own layout will probably not start until the fall with 1-1 work,so I'll live thru yours but no pressure.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  11:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Verne are you going to be able to access that staging area ok?

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
Thanks, Darryl. I admire your work, and appreciate the encouragement. I'm just going to jump in to building this plan feet first!

Belg, I well may take your suggestion to save a bit more space for the mining area, thanks. Jerry, the staging area (closet) is accessible by ducking under the layout. I really hate hidden trackage, and have so far resisted the temptation to locate any hidden turnouts in there...but I might well decide I need the extra capacity for one or both staging tracks. To be continued!

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  4:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message
As long as you post pictures of your progress! Is that turntable going to be a Gallows??? I know I owe you the plans! It's on my other computer and I need to fire it up.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  5:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Verne,

I like the plan! That looks a bit smaller than the N scale layout, did you change rooms?

About the turntable. That is the only thing I would change, I'd leave it out. Looks like you are running mostly 0-4-0's and 0-4-4 porters, do they really need turned? But then again we all like a good turntable model.

I would use that space for another industry, even if it's just a loading dock. Just my opinion, I'm sure the layout will turn out great and can't wait to see the scenery.

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  01:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Looks liked a RR with purpose! Build it and we will come!

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  07:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
Here is the revised track plan, based on comments and a lot of reflection:

Here are some 3-D renderings of the plan:

I still need to fine tune the plan, and figure out a way to remove the center access area from the terrain map. These plans were created using PlanIt software. A very nice feature is the ability to view the layout from different perspectives and angles...very useful in visualizing the finished layout.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 05/22/2008 07:48:14 AM

azflyer2001
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  10:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Verne,

Do you really need a turntable? I think most operations like this one just ran the locomotive backwards on the downhill side. Just a thought.

Travis in Mesa

Travis Handschug
Gilbert, Arizona

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile
Verne,

Very nice planning. Time to get your hands dirty.

Tom M.

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  1:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Is that a traverser on the main in the tunnel. A great way to have staging and save space (and hidden turnouts!)

I like the mine area in the first plans were the 15-18" line runs over the On30 to the bunker. If you keep the new plan consider something like this:

I added a spur to the mine for supplies, but that could be left off since the mine would be at a higher elevation. if you did add the spur you could add a rope hoist.

Just ideas.

Edited by - Chris333 on 05/22/2008 2:13:08 PM

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  7:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
Chris, that is a traverser, it will really enhance operations. I imagine the mining scene just like you have drawn it, but without the spur...the 18" tram will cross the two spur tracks, helping conceal where they duck into the tunnel.

Travis, you are right...I could lose the turntable, as most of the locos are pretty small and were run both ways. I have it there because I like turntables, and I want to be able to run my 4-4-0 to the end of the line and turn it. It could come out to free up space for an industry or maintenance space, I'll mull that over...thanks for the feedback.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  01:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
PROGRESS!

Here is the final track plan:

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 12/03/2011 09:32:23 AM

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Now you are getting serious -=- guess I need to take the shrink wrap off some boxes and prep my equipment for a visit! 8>))

Thanks for sharing.

Bill Uffelman
Far away in Las Vegas NV

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Black-Rock Canyon Topic Next Topic: Old Rails as Trestle Stringers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000