Railroad Line Forums - Building the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Faire to Midland ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Building the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Black-Rock Canyon Topic Next Topic: Old Rails as Trestle Stringers
Page: of 100

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  11:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
Construction is FINALLY under way on the new & improved version of the Estrella & Sonora Grande RR. The layout room has been painted and set in order, and the benchwork is going up.

Here is the base going in, supported by shelves built for a previous N scale layout.

Benchwork going in. There will be lowered benchwork under the double bridge, which will span a dry wash.

This will be a small yard in the foreground, with a mining scene in the background.

Edited by - MinerFortyNiner on 04/16/2012 3:27:41 PM

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  12:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message
Pretty cool! I'll be following this. Do you have a track plan?

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  01:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Looks like your off and running will watch with interest the progress. I always enjoy watching how other layouts evolve and the innovations people come up with. Can you get behind there to that window? Jerry

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  08:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage
Verne-

I see you are cutting plywood "tabletop" to go on the framework, except in the area with the long bridges. How are you going to do the roadbed? How will you attach a fascia?

Great to see the new E&SC is underway.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  08:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Now that is one neat train room, Verne. I'm looking forward to seeing the new E&SG come to life.

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  09:14:42 AM  Show Profile
Looking good. Need to see a trackplan to really get the feel of things and trigger additional pangs of jealousy!

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

on30er
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  7:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Looks like it's going great. I'm to the point where I need to put the backdrop with coved corners up. Can you tell me what you used for your backdrop?

thanks, Vince

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  7:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Verne nice layout start and idea plan. Thanks for posting that nice looking website.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  01:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage
Thanks, guys!

Arthur and Bill, I have dozens of track plans...the problem is choosing the right one! I am terrified of making the wrong choice at this stage and being saddled with a layout I end up not enjoying. Generally, the plans I am considering place scenic interest over volume of track, and are pretty simple. I probably won't exceed 8 turnouts in the whole plan.

Jerry, I can sneak under the backdrop far enough to open and close the window. The backdrop is a remnant from a previous N scale layout and has been in place for ten years. Vince, it is made of tempered masonite, which when dampened with a sponge bends fine into a 24" radius cove corner. It is attached to 1x2 stringers mounted to the wall, screws and joints taped and sanded smooth.

Mark, I will laminate styrofoam sheet over the plywood. I haven't decided whether I will attach the track directly to the foam, or use cork roadbed. I am avoiding wood or homasote because of the weight. Once ballasted and bonded, the surface crust will be very hard. The fascia will be a very narrow strip of tempered masonite painted the darker brown color that is stippled on the walls. I will attach black skirting material with velcro to the inside bottom edge of the fascia when showing the layout.

All work has ground to a halt while I take a deep breath and commit to a plan! Here is some heresy, guys...I have had it beaten into my head by the model railroad press that a railroad has to have a purpose, to go somewhere, to represent a real transportation system to be effective. Problem is, I am modeling O scale in less than 100 square feet...and I usually just run a train to relax instead of real operations anyway (shhh!).

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  03:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Don't let the mags write your own story, Verne. Your railroad has a purpose : bringing you pleasure. It goes somewhere : your pleasure. Like you, I give more and more priority to scenic interest rather than realistic operation.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  06:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message
Verne,
Congrats on the new RR layout. No doubt it is an exciting time for you. Instead of asking any questions, I will follow along and see how you do things.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Totally agree with Frederick if its giving you pleasure Verne then its going someplace. It will be interesting to see how this all comes together keep us posted.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  09:35:47 AM  Show Profile
How about NG serving a couple of mines and dropping ore/coal whatever into an interchange with a single SG siding? Add another siding with a platform to allow transfer of freight from SG cars to NG, add an EBT transfer crane if you like. Run a combine to and from the mines and mining town to get passengers to the station where the SG picks them up. Put some staging at the end of the line to represent mines further along the road.

That's purpose.

While focused on Maine 2' Dick Andrews used to provide some small trackplans for NG shortlines 50 years ago in RMC, some later appeared in the Gazette.

Bill Uffelman
Las Veas NV

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  09:38:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Don't let the mags write your own story, Verne. Your railroad has a purpose : bringing you pleasure. It goes somewhere : your pleasure. Like you, I give more and more priority to scenic interest rather than realistic operation.

Verne,

I also agree with Frederic and think you have already posted the purpose for you railroad.

All work has ground to a halt while I take a deep breath and commit to a plan! I am modeling O scale in less than 100 square feet...and I usually just run a train to relax instead of real operations anyway (shhh!).

So go with this purpose and let the magazines preach to others who have not a clue as to what is important to them.

P.S. Nice looking room.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  09:45:45 AM  Show Profile
http://www.trainplayer.com/Site2/101%20Track%20Plans.html look at L69 -- I know it's a small pic but it "has purpose". You can also turn it into a loop. Or take an HO 4 x 8 and expand to be an around the room in On30 minimal town a little industry and running room.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message
Verne,

You may be interested in consulting with Trainclown.. this is right up his alley.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: Black-Rock Canyon Topic Next Topic: Old Rails as Trestle Stringers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000