Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: Early May '08 "The Waterfront"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: Early May '08 "The Waterfront"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: My latest diorama, a scratchbuilt Midwestern barn Topic Next Topic: My Prototype Photo Site
Page: of 12

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:05:29 AM  Show Profile
I have always thought that there were some themes that while interesting, might not generate enough photographs to sustain a month-long Photo Gallery. So, I decided to, every once in a while, split a month into two separate themes. This is the first split-month, so let’s see how it works out.

The theme for May 1-15 is “Boats, Ships, and Waterfront Scenes”. This is the opportunity for those who have built models of boats, barges, or ships; or who have included a car float or waterfront scene on their layouts/dioramas; or just included a row boat or canoe on a river bank or pond, to share their photos with the rest of the world. When possible, it would be great if you could provide the name of the manufacturer of the model. I’m sure that would be of interest to the viewers. If you have taken photos on this theme at layouts you have visited, or at a show you have attended, please post those also.

As always, please adhere to the following posting requirements: photo files should be no more than 80kb @ 72ppi in size - even if downloading from a remote server or website - and can be no more than 7 inches in width (to prevent viewers from having to scroll back and forth to see the entire photo or read text on the same page). This can also be achieved by sizing your picture so the width is in the 680-720 pixel range.

Photo submissions not meeting the above requirements will be resized by the Moderator.

For those who like to plan ahead, I will lock the 'Early May' thread on May 16th, and open the 'Late May' thread at that time. The topic for the second half of May will be "Gas Stations"

I want to thank Pat (belg) for suggesting the boat/ship theme, and John J. for suggesting the gas station theme! Any member with ideas for future themes should feel free to send the suggestion via PM.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile
Neat theme, Bruce!

-------------------------------------

The seawall and scenery are scratchbuilt. The boats are from Sierra West and are part of the Foss' Landing kit.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  09:38:11 AM  Show Profile
While the theme that runs through my entire layout is the waterfront I will bend the rules somewhat by posting a couple of real pictures that I took in Alaska in 2005 of boats found at a marina in Whittier.

The theme for boats in Alaska seems to be if it will float then I will alter it to fit my needs.
My interest in these pictures is to try to reproduce some of these on my layout.

The people found in this picture are my daughter Amy and my grandson Cody who were also visiting my daughter Kathy who lives in Alaska at the same time.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  11:15:04 AM  Show Profile
This water scene has the BlueJacket Shipcrafters Lobster Boat @ $21.55 (Item# HO300), it's a waterline model in HO Scale. It's a cast resin hull, with laser-cut styrene parts and Britannia metal fittings and it's 5" long. Figures are a mix of Campbell, Preiser & WS. http://www.bluejacketinc.com/index.htm

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 05/01/2008 11:18:50 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Bar Mills Sn2 layout.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  2:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Mike, John, Louis & Rick,

Thanks for kicking off the thread in fine fashion!

Here is a harbor side coaling scene at Miniature World.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Louis,
Thanks for the information on the lobster boat.
While there are no lobsters in Alaska I think I could modify it to be a fishing boat similar to the first boat I posted above.

This is from the second Challenge ever held on Railroad-Line.

The tug is from Frenchman River, the barge from FOS and the rowboat is borrowed from Hamilton Dinghies by Campbell I think.
The stone wall castings were from The Waterfront by BIS.

Sorry about the picture quality but I was still using a point and shoot camera and had the film developed onto a disk so that they could be posted on the forum.
No photo editing available at that time for me.

John Bagley

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  5:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Bruce, thanks alot for using my suggestion I hope there is enough interest to keep it moving. Here's a couple of shots I took in Mass. on the way to Css 07.

This is from a nautical museum but the name escapes at the moment. (Mystic Seaport)
Close up of the rigging.Pat

Edited by - belg on 05/01/2008 9:42:47 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  6:16:59 PM  Show Profile
John Bluejacket has a River Towboat (Item# HO301), and it has a cabin like the boat you posted from Alaska, like the one's found at the marina in Whittier. Check out the website.

Louis

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  6:46:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

John Bluejacket has a River Towboat (Item# HO301), and it has a cabin like the boat you posted from Alaska, like the one's found at the marina in Whittier. Check out the website.

Believe it or not Louis but I already have that kit and was planning to make it into a tug to push some barges around.

I could of course buy a second kit and modify it into a fishing boat similar to the one I posted.

John Bagley

lumberjack
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  7:19:04 PM  Show Profile
This is a small boat on my HO scale module.

Gerry Gilliland

Maritime Lumber

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  10:03:37 PM  Show Profile
Here's some shots near me on the Pemaquid Peninsula, Maine
Back Cove

New Harbor in winter

I include this shot because I think it's a great study in rust and old wood. These are called otter boards and are the planers used to spread nets out when trawling.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  10:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage

The FNGers coffee table layout

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

belg
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Chester, I would love to see any other shots of this inlet,do you have any close ups of the area with all the docks on piles? Thanks Pat

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile
Good stuff so far guys! I like this topic. I have a developing waterfront on my layout but as of now it's more front than water. I hope the water is not a requirement. I have numerous boats built for the area but I need to get better pictures this weekend. So I'm starting off small. The hull was from a lifeboat in a Ship kit I built many years ago. Too long ago to remember. The figure and bottles are Preiser, and the rest is scratch.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  10:18:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Terrell

I hope the water is not a requirement. I have numerous boats ........

Terrell you keep showing us boats and work like this, and we'll forget there isn't any water.

Gerry I love that dog sitting up front. Looks like he is spotting for them.

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 05/02/2008 10:26:49 AM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: My latest diorama, a scratchbuilt Midwestern barn Topic Next Topic: My Prototype Photo Site  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000