Railroad Line Forums - Bulger's Garage
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Bulger's Garage
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 10

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  6:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love these last pictures, Tony. The variety of materials and textures, the imaginative details, and yet the great unity of the whole composition make your garage into an outstanding model.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

I love these last pictures, Tony. The variety of materials and textures, the imaginative details, and yet the great unity of the whole composition make your garage into an outstanding model.

Frederic, Karl and Louis, thank you all so much. After I put in the casting on the right side brick wall, I said, that's it, it all fits. Just a matter of keeping with it. I am doing an outside open shed now. we'll see how that goes.
Tony

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding, Tony, simply outstanding.

There are a wealth of details and techniques to be seen in the pictures.

The roof debris is something I would not have thought of on my own but I do remember seeing roofs that looked like this and with maybe even a small tree limb that had landed on the roof in the real world.

Love where you can see the sub roof under the missing metal panel.

The placement of details looks so realistic.

I like the boarding over the damaged siding and if this was Alaska I would say a bear had been looking for a place to hibernate over the winter.

Is the detail casting with the radiator part of a larger one or is it a single piece.
I could use one of the for my automotive junk yard.

Again outstanding model and one that you stepson should be very proud to have named after him.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  9:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Outstanding, Tony, simply outstanding.

There are a wealth of details and techniques to be seen in the pictures.

Is the detail casting with the radiator part of a larger one or is it a single piece.
I could use one of the for my automotive junk yard.

hi John,
well, all I can say is thank you. That was well thought out. The casting is actually part of the larger one from Rusty Rails at http://rustyrail.com/.
You can buy them seperately though, Evergreen Hill Design has some in HO and O scale, and precision Scale has one, walthers #585-3810. I have several from Evergreen Hill. You can also get some out of the Jordan Miniatures kits. The rest of the parts in the kit can be used as more junk.

Tony

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  4:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been putting together a Jordan Models 1928 Sedan. I wanted a heavily rusted car that has been exposed to the elements for a long time to add to the rear of the diarama; broken glass, peeling paint and so on. I used a recently aquired technique using table salt to get the rust effect. I have yet to add it to the diarama with barrels, and other junk, so here it is as is so far. Do you think it is a little overdone?
Tony

Tony Burgess

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  4:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I don't think it is over done at all. For it's intended purpose, it looks just fine to me.
I would like to know more about this using salt affect though. How the process goes.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  5:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it turned out really well. I also really like the tires and wheels. I'm with Tony, "How'd you do that?".

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  6:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I don't know if it is overdone, but it is certainly well done.
Your weathering on the car is on the heavy side, but there's certainly some room for such a car around your garage, and you might have an interesting scene with workers staring at it and wondering if it is worth trying to repair it.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  6:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic, KP and Louis. Thank you for your kind words; the extra figure idea had occurred to me, and may just do that.

As for the process:
I made the rust with table salt, a newly acquired technique I learned off a Yahoo group. Basically, you spray a rust color over the model parts, in this case, an oil based primer. A perfect color. When dry, in 5 minutes, I brushed on some water (with a drop of liquid soap) and sprinkled on some salt at random. The water is just to stop the salt from falling off. When the water dried enough, I sprayed it a nice green, one that is looking dirty and weather worn already. The green was an acrylic, so the two different paint mediums work just fine. In another 5 minutes, I rubbed the salt off with my thumb or brushed off the salt with a stipple or stencil type brush, it was about 1/8" diameter and the bristles are fairly stiff. With the brush, I used that on the bonnet (sorry, the hood) and gave a closer looking rust effect. That leaves what you see here. With my thumb, I rubbed it off in small circles rather than just side to side brushing.

Tony

Tony Burgess

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  7:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tony for explaining the process. I'll have to try it out myself.

Louis

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  12:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony, Starting from page one that is some superb modeling! Thanks for showing and sharing your techniques. I'm glad I looked at this thread! Amazing

Is your son home on leave?

Philip

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  04:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the explanation, Tony. I had never heard of this technique six months ago, and now I've lost the count of people who use it for weathering their models. It's funny.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Tony, Starting from page one that is some superb modeling! Thanks for showing and sharing your techniques. I'm glad I looked at this thread! Amazing

Is your son home on leave?

Philip

Thanks Philip, and no, my son is not on leave. he's only been in since February. He came home for a visit around the end of June, but now he is pretty busy, and just got married too. (too young in my opinion)
Tony

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  8:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the finished model. All I have to do now is add some lights. I didn't get enough time to order some parts for the light hook up, so I will get that done later. I will post a few shots in the completed forum. I apologize for some of the blurry shots.
Tony

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 09/08/2008 8:14:53 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  9:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding throughout this construction process Tony, it's a fantastic job in every way.
It's come a long way from the time you sat on it!

Louis

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000