Railroad Line Forums - Bulger's Garage
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 267 ]  [ Total: 269 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Bulger's Garage
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Why do you scratch build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 10

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic. Here is the garage with some earth down. Looks a lot better now. Plenty of room for details here, seems like I am finally getting somewhere. I was wanting to put a lean-to on the front with some gas pumps. Any thoughts? At first it was going to be a slanted roof or lean-to, and I think it will look too 'western', but a flat one would also not look right. Should I leave it as is and just put the pumps out front anyway? Or no pumps.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  7:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure about what to add over the pumps. Maybe the pumps and just a small canopy above them.
I wanted to tell you that the stone wall is exceptionnal, and it is even more evident now that it is in situ.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  8:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the roofs and the feel of your model very nice work Tony, love the corrugated look....Jerry

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  8:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

I'm not really sure about what to add over the pumps. Maybe the pumps and just a small canopy above them.
I wanted to tell you that the stone wall is exceptionnal, and it is even more evident now that it is in situ.

Thanks again, Frederic. Since I started carving plaster walls with my first one which is now a Downtown Deco kit called Burgess Manufacturing, (see inserted pic, it is the first building on the right) I have enjoyed doing carved plaster walls. I try to add something different each time. I also did the model Cain's Ballroom (see other insert) which was done from one here in Tulsa, a famous building for sure. Well, going off topic here.

Yes, the canopy idea is a good one, maybe that might be best, not attached to the building, but a stand alone, at least that is what I think you meant. I'll have to see how this one goes.

tony

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  8:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have made quite a nice little detail in the rear of the garage. It took me most of the day, well, 1/2 of it anyway. I used a boiler from Rusty Rail, and modified it a tad. I removed the piping on the side, which was cast in, and added some 3-D details. I got the idea from the instructions from a Western Scale Models O scale boiler kit. (This model is in HO scale). I added some PSC castings, alone with some home made ones, for some unions, and some from Grandt Line I think, and Cal Scale. The two pipes that go into the building run the steam engine there, the large one going to the steam box, the smaller one to the gov'ner (is that what it is called?). It is a little hard to see, but in the interior shot, you can just make out that the lines go to the right places. The smaller one I didn't actually connect since I didn't plan on that from the beginning like I did with the other pipe. Anyway, there you have it.
Tony
This is how everything went together:

The pipes going into wall to steam engine:

This one shows the entry better, and the piping too. The bucket handle is made from bronze wire.

This also shows the Rusty Rail bench I plan to have there. It isn't totally in place yet

Tony Burgess

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding boiler work Tony, that realy looks nice. Great details!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  10:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Outstanding boiler work Tony, that realy looks nice. Great details!

Thank you Louis. The foundation it sits on is supposed to be a concrete pad or footing. After I disguise it a bit, it will look better.
Tony

Tony Burgess

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  1:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your work on the boiler and piping is outstanding, Tony.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  6:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Your work on the boiler and piping is outstanding, Tony.

Thank you Frederic. Here are a few more of what I got done today. Coming along ssllloooowwwwwllllllyyyyy. Or it seems to be.

Tony

PS. the last one is my son, in the Navy, docking in New York. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tony Burgess

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  8:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The newest details are good too, Tony. I particularly love the small open coal shed left of the boiler.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  9:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a few more items finished this weekend. The welding table and car are from Rusty Rail. Nice castings. The welder is from Woodland Scenics. The lighting in the diarama outside is not a true color. Indoor lighting! The ground, here, is still wet from the water/glue mix.
Tony B.

Tony Burgess

scratchbldr
New Hire

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  03:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put the model on the chair to get it out of the way. I got so tied up in tidying up, and looking for that damn box, (I found it in a drawer later) that I forgot about the model and sat down, yeah, you saw that coming didn't you, wish I did!. Anyway, apart from a little modification, and one section that needs re-doing, it went back together pretty well.

So there you have it, and by now, you should know the moral of the story. Don't model where you sit, sit where you model.

Tony

I remember when I was about 15 or so , I had spent a Looooooooooooooog time building a F4U Corsair from a Comet stick & paper kit-- only I had completely planked this one to make it from a rubber power model into a gas powered control line model --- finally done -- oppps a landing gear door is loose--- oh well. --- glue it on & sit the plane across the arms of the overstuffed living room chair to dry.
YUP!!! you gotIT~!! ---- my mom came in & plopped down in her favorite chair without looking!! IT WAS NOT salvageable!!

Instant Glue??---- SOLDER--- NOW THATS INSTANT!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  08:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I have been following your progress in the Challenge thread but see I better keep looking at this thread for the craftsmanship is fantastic.

I like everything but the scene you have created in the interior really is most impressive.

As for you question on the gas pumps you might consider having this formally been a gas station which is now nothing more than a garage for repairs.
Then you could give a hint as to what once was there for buying gas.

Again great work and look forward to the next installment.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  10:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, every inch of this diorama is just outstanding in every way. The addition of all those details and parts just add to the overall look.
PS. Has your Son ever been to the Newport, RI Naval Station?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] finally done -- oppps a landing gear door is loose--- oh well. --- glue it on & sit the plane across the arms of the overstuffed living room chair to dry.
YUP!!! you gotIT~!! ---- my mom came in & plopped down in her favorite chair without looking!! IT WAS NOT salvageable!!

All I can say to that, my friend, is OUCH!. Welcome to the club

Tony Burgess

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Why do you scratch build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000