Railroad Line Forums - Bulger's Garage
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 52 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Bulger's Garage
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 10

belg
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  07:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, your progress is really great. I also like your creativity with the desk and books.I would like to know how you did the one with thats laying open, you didn't mention that in your how to. Are the knobs for the desk the heads of stickpins? Keep up the fight, I know how much work a project like this takes and to take the time to show it as you go along is really above the call of the duty. Pat

Zephyrus52246
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  09:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work--love the detailed desk and thanks for the book tutorial. I'd also like to know about the bottle.

Jeff J

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  12:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, Jeff and Karl. You can steal as many ideas as you want, that's the fun of this hobby, as I think Brian Nolan said, you build a model not only for yourself, but for others as well, to not only enjoy, but to get ideas from. And believe me, this forum has certainly given me a LOT of ideas and food for thought.

Frederic, thank you, your comments are very much appreciated. The bottle is from a set from Preiser, set 590-17105, called Beer Barrels & Crates w/Bottles and the cup is from a dinner serving set that SSLtd has.

Pat, thank you, the open book is done just like the others, and is just folded open. Just like folding back several pages of a notepad. What I did when I cut off the rubber glued end of the note pad, was to use a razor blade to slice it away, slicing from inside the fold of pages, so the glued part stays intact. Does that make sense? Anyway, having folded it open, it stays open by itself quite easily, and I just took a sharpened pencil and made a few markings in the pages to represent words and a picture.

The drawer knobs are .010" styrene rods that I just put the tip of a lit match to. I held the lit match about a 1/4-1/2" away, and quickly bought it closer so the plastic ends melted like I wanted. Then I just cut them off and glued them in from the inside. I put a few coats of gloss coat on the desk top to give it a semi shine, but not too much. I thought about using some real lacquer, but really couldn't be bothered to open a can.
Tony Burgess
Tulsa, OK

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

belg
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tony, something else to put into the memory bank for a later date. Both tips make perfect sense, I just though that you had really printed something on the book pages. Pat

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  1:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Thanks Tony, something else to put into the memory bank for a later date. Both tips make perfect sense, I just though that you had really printed something on the book pages. Pat

Pat, if only I could, wouldn't that be great? On the blotter though, I did write 'call Sherry', my wife, I always seem to put her name on my models some where, or most of them. Sweet, ha! She think so anyway, nice to help foster the romantic side of a relationship once and a while.
Tony

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  9:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick update before I go to bed, getting tired tonight, long day. I started on the roof rafters. Have a way to go, but the hardest part is over.

I started by laying out three strips on the waxed paper, after I marked out where I wanted each rafter, and glued each from the peak of the rafter. This helped ensure all wer in line.

Tony

Tony Burgess

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  11:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those rafters look great Tony, and a very methodical/logical construction plan, I did something similar on a previous build. The initial picture with the roof in place looks terrific, I think I remember you were going to leave the roof removable to show off the itnerior detail?? That roof will look great on its own upside down next to the model!!

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  03:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, so far, on the roof, Tony. Do you plan to add lights to the garage?

belg
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  06:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aaahhhh Tony isn't that sweet, nice personal touch to the railroad and it probably doesn't hurt when discussing financing it as well.

Very nice job on the roof, did you make a jig for the truss's? Pat

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  6:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, Frederic and pat, thank you. Pat, I see you caught the 'sweet touch' then, yes, I do that a lot, and not only on models. It's fun and brings a smile to her face and a hug and kiss for me. All together now..aaaahhhhhhh!

Back to the model, yes, I intend to add lights, not sure exactly how yet, but it will come to me. It will remain removable. I want to add some tarpaper, cedar shingles, and some corrugated over the machine shop side since it is close to a boiler, or will be. I didn't have a plan on what I was going to do on the rafters, it just comes to me as I do it, strange method, I know, but I have these images in my mind and I try to copy it. So as for a jig, I made a tracing of the back wall for the exact size and angle, then drew it out further to the measurements to fit inside. I laid some wax paper down, added some stripwood to the outside of the drawing, and one below for the lower cross piece. I made the quantity just right to be spaced every 1/2", which was the same as the graph paper spacing I had it on. I laid out 3 strips, taped down with scotch tape, which the roof will have a lot more of, and glued one rafter at a time so all were glued down. I added the two thicker braces along the bottom more for rigidity than anything else, but it also looks good there.

Till next time,
happy modeling,
Tony

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  9:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have finished the roofing framing. I took a couple of really great shots from inside. The part over the machine shop didn't take as long, but was difficult to figure out. The next steps is tarpaper and shingles and corrugated material.
Tony

Tony Burgess

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Outstanding frame work Tony, beautiful interior shots, seems a pity to hide it all...., will you add a subroof before the tarpaper(you didnt mention it) for rigidity? I'm sure the machine shop angles were troublesome but you did a nice tight finish on all the joints/angles I can see. Great job, personally I love doing that kind of thing and then will sit and stare at it constantly, thats why I never get much done, 'cos when I get something right I just love to look at it. Personal satisfaction I guess.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/11/2008 10:33:37 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your funny Karl. I am glad you mentioned the sub roof under the tar paper, I was wondering about the stability of that and a sub roof just didn't occur to me. Thanks.
Tony

Tony Burgess

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  5:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the interior shots of your garage, Tony. I also like the fitting of the two roofs : great adjustment work. You'll really need some good lighting in the garage to keep this nice orange effect on your pictures.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  8:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, truth or consequences time. I have finished the framing of the roof, which is removeable, and tar papered one side so far. Originally I was planning on adding some shingles to the face of the tarpapered roof, but now I look at it, I like it like this. I would appreciate some thoughts from others. And Karl, I think I have it all blanked in like you suggested.
Tony

Tony Burgess

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000