Railroad Line Forums - Bulger's Garage
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 301 ]  [ Total: 304 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Bulger's Garage
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Why do you scratch build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 10

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  8:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I would share a scratch built project I am working on, and a tip on what not to do..you'll see. It is called Bulger's Garage, named for my Step Son, who seems to be the only one in our family who has more car trouble than any one I know. Most of the pics are self explanitory, but I welcome questions. I am basing it on the FSM kit Coopers garage. The windows are scratchbuilt with real glass, and there is a machine shop in the back I wanted to add, just for fun. The idea is the owner, Bulger, needed some extra space to do some machine work for car repairs as well as work on his own hobby of working on a hot rod. It is a long way from finishing, but I thought I would share what I have so far

Download Attachment: Picture 103.jpg
87.29 KB

Download Attachment: Picture 108.jpg
92.21 KB
Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty nice Tony. Please post more photos as you progress.
--Rich B.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess what happened to me? A tornado came through my little town. Took out the building almost completely. had to call in the repair crew, we needed to get some work done fast!

OK, so maybe a tornado didn't come through my room, but we had a pretty good thunder storm last night. had hail the size of marbles, (other areas had much worse). Lots of high winds and heavy rain. Won't need to re-fill my pond any time soon.

So what happened here? Well, I was wanting to make a concrete base for my small steam engine, it has to catch the oil drippings you know, so I decided on some 1/4" wood stock, but I couldn't find my miter saw box. Well it just had to be here somewhere. Looking all over the area did no good, so I decided to clean the desk off, maybe it was under the pile somewhere, needed cleaning anyway, so here was my big mistake, although I have done it a dozen times before, I put the model on the chair to get it out of the way. I got so tied up in tidying up, and looking for that damn box, (I found it in a drawer later) that I forgot about the model and sat down, yeah, you saw that coming didn't you, wish I did!. Anyway, apart from a little modification, and one section that needs re-doing, it went back together pretty well.

So there you have it, and by now, you should know the moral of the story. Don't sit where you model, model where you sit.

Tony

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 12/07/2019 11:32:53 AM

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks mighty good even after the repairs! It woulda made me cry!

Steve

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve and Rich, thank you. I will do my best to add pics as I go. One thing I am having trouble trying to figure out, how do you add pictures with out having the link? This is actually my first post. Hope to add more. This is a great forum, been browsing for several years.

Thanks again,
Tony

Tony Burgess

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I agree that the repairs are hardly noticeable and it should be a fine structure when done.
How did you color the wood?

Watch out for more bad weather over the next couple of days.
I live in northwest Georgia and we might get some by Friday but you may be hit for the next 2 days.

Here are three threads that explain how to up-load pictures.
You really only need the first one since your pictures while large will load.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110
(For general instructions on posting photos/drawings/graphics

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5383
(For instructions on resizing photo files)

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18629
(For instructions on how to post photos/graphics when using a Mozilla-based browser.)

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

You've made a great save. You know, since every horizontal surface is usually cluttered, I often put my 'work in progress' on my chair too. It is often the only free surface. Never again!

Bruce

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're not alone Tony did the very same thing last week to a structure I've been working on. Nice save on your part however. I like this structure and the interior is as nice as the outside.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I know it's not funny, but I did have a good laugh, been there done that. At least you were able to save yours, you never would have guess it was damaged. Great save. Looking forward to seeing future pictures of this structure, it's going to be a beaut when it is gone.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

James VanB
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow nice save Tony!

Good thing the lathe wasn't spinning at high speed in the machine shop yet.

I would have cried too. That would definitely have been it for the modeling for the evening for me until I cooled down.

Nice work!

James

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  11:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony...we've all been there....while not a structure....my story is......
I had just finished painting an converted AHM HO Heisler to On3.....it was a beauty, with a V&Y models resin 1/4"scale body...(I had put a lot of more into the converstion).....anyway, when I finished spray painting it, I placed it on a shelf about 6' off the ground (concrete floor of the basement)....who can guess the rest....as my hands released the engine it tipped over and fell straight to the floor.....kaboom!.....I picked it up....and put the parts back in a box, never opened it again and gave it to a buddy......oh well, as I said, it happens to all of us....
Now back to your model.....very nice...before and after the tornado...looking forward to seeing more of it.....tom

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony

What happened in less than 24 hours you torched the thing! Ouch!

As Tom mention we've all been there. Now it's a recovery operation.

--Rich B.

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,....very nice... I will be watching for updates.... good repair by the way. Danny

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony: Great save. It looks good after the rebuild. I'm afraid I would have just finished destroying it if I had sat on it.

John Johnson

"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would of been sick. Of course I would of made it worse by throwing it against a wall for sitting on it, instead of fixing it like you did.
Nice structure you made there. Even the wall studs in the inside look great. With that kind of stud work, I would of thought you couldn't break it, but rather get a sore A$$ from landing on it. lol

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I know that sick feeling in the stomach. I use to fly remote control airplanes. I saw many a crash. I did what you did. Put them back together. They often flew better after they were rebuilt.

Still hurts after the many hours you put into a project.

Looking fwd to the continuance of your build ...

Tom M.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Why do you scratch build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000