Railroad Line Forums - Modeling the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: Tom Pruyne ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Modeling the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My first card kit Topic Next Topic: Article about the CP Rail M & M Sub.
Page: of 19

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maandg

John,

I would be happy to do this. I am a little confused on exactly what I need to do. Can you give me more specifics?

Right now I plan on documenting the remaining projects on my layout here on RR-line. These include the roundhouse/engine terminal, diesel house, REA building, Pullman facilities, the massive Gibbons feed mill and the building flats behind the freight yard. I hope to have the entire layout completed by Christmas 2009.

Tom,Cliff Edit: I have no idea why I wrote Tom
What others have done is to post a thread which highlights their layout with pictures of completed sections and this is the main thread that I would post over in the member layout thread.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22362

That thread is located in the Model Railroad Construction forum and since it is a sticky the above thread will always be located on the first page of that forum.
So if you were trying to locate your thread just go and click on the Model Railroad Construction forum and look for this thread.

Links to layouts found on Railroad-Line

The listing is alphabetical by screen name so you would be about half way down the list.
Your main thread can be posted in any forum of your choice since I am the one who adds the link to your thread to the listing in the Model Railroad Construction forum.

Then you have a choice.

You can either post all of your future modeling in this main thread or you could post it in separate threads and then in the main thread post links to the new construction threads.

That way anyone who reads the layout listing thread would be able to follow you along as you complete your layout.

If still confused you can e-mail me with questions at

Bbags23@aol.com

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 10/07/2008 7:54:28 PM

CVSNE
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  2:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

Station scene isn't big enough.

I have to admit, when I first saw the track plan for the layout years ago (back in my MR days I think) I thought it odd that you were devoting so much space to the passenger terminal . . . now the vision is clear even to a true mud head like myself.

Have you shown this thing to Andy S?? You know he's a New Orleans boy, and would spend hours watching trains at NOUPT.

I can't help but wonder if anyone is ever going to bother looking at the lower deck again once you get this spectacular model in place. Selective compression has it's place, but some things just can't be compressed . . . looking forward to seeing more!!!

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  7:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

Marty, I did indeed forward photos of the original mock-ups seen at the beginning of this thread to Andy Sperandeo. I am working with him and Tony Koester on an article concerning the NOUPT as a Layout Design Element (LDE) for Model Railroad Planning 2010. Originally, my article was scheduled for the 2009 issue, but was moved back at the last minute.

It's funny you mention not noticing the lower level, because I have made the exact same comment to friends. The upper level with its massive structures certainly is the first thing to grab your attention. The interesting thing I've found is with first-time visitors - particularly those who are non-model railroaders. They seem to ignore the upper level and instead focus on all of the detailed mini-scenes of the lower level. I don't think they fully appreciate that the unpainted kit walls which are either taped together or simply leaned against the backdrop will ever be more than what they see. I’m sure this trend will change as the layout nears completion.

What I enjoy most about my layout is that I have the best of both worlds - - rural small-town scenes and towering urban sprawl. I equally enjoy both types of modeling, but would have a hard time limiting myself to one or the other. This is why the multi-deck design worked so well for me.

I’m glad you are enjoying my progress.

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  08:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  11:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it’s been a few weeks since my last post and I have managed to get quite a bit of work done.

As I mentioned before, one of the many challenges in creating the NOUPT involved replicating the imported marble along the lower walls. To do this, I began with actual photos of the marble panels that were taken by Dr. Muff. I used Adobe Photoshop software to scale the sections down to HO size and printed them on semi-gloss photo paper. This gives a slight reflection to the marble as seen on the prototype. To avoid the white outer lines of the photo paper, I used a brown marker to color them. This also created a brown mortar effect along the joint lines.

Compare this corner shot to the model thus far.

The front of the station had nice tile-covered columns. These have been finished as well.

The side walls had three service doors that were covered by a marbled entry. These were more of a challenge because each piece of photo paper had to be custom cut and fit. It took longer than expected, but the results are very nice. I have not yet done the roof, but you can see the placement of the flashing laser-etched in the wall.

The doors were very nicely drawn by Dr. Muff and include the vertical ribs, hinges, door knobs, and even the key holes!!! I scratchbuilt the large vents from Campbell’s corrugated siding over a .010 styrene “frame”. Notice how well the finished section matches this prototype close-up!

Here are some other photos of the wall which show the planting bed which was also covered with marble. These have been laser cut as well and will be added once the walls are permanently glued in place.

I still have 3 more wall sections to complete before all of the marble is finished. I think the photo paper was the way to go. I could have never achieved those results with paint.
My next post should include the other three walls finished and possibly the concrete passenger platforms. I have been simultaneously working on them as well and they are about 80% complete.

Here is the overall scene as of October 21, 2008. The taxis, btw, are by Athearn and incredibly nice. I have 8 so far and plan to double that number. See ya’ll next time!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  12:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,
I really think you are doing a great job! Thanks for sharing with us what you've done thus far. I would like to know where in New Orleans is this located? It looks like the convention center but that can't be. I ask because I'll be in the city over Christmas and would like to see it myself.
Thanks,
Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  12:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff, you never cease to amaze! Outstanding work. I always look foward to your postings. What a clever idea, taking pics of the marble and then printing them out on photo paper. It looks great!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

B_A_R
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railbuilderdhd

Cliff,
I really think you are doing a great job! Thanks for sharing with us what you've done thus far. I would like to know where in New Orleans is this located? It looks like the convention center but that can't be. I ask because I'll be in the city over Christmas and would like to see it myself.
Thanks,
Dave

Pretty sure it's next to the basketball arena.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  4:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome modeling Cliff!

Mike

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  5:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

That really looks good! I've always wondered about the CMR kits.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  5:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is fantastic, Clif. The modelling of the marble is wonderful, and the realism of the doors is great.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  5:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Clif. The size the the structure is impressive

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  6:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff
Fantastic workmanship and the attention to detail is simply mind boggling.
Peter

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  11:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments!

Dave, the station is located at 1001 Loyola Ave, which is near the Superdome. If you visit, pay attention to the very nice murals inside. I will include scale duplicates when I add the full interior. Hope you enjoy your visit to the Big Easy!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  12:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did the man say 'full interior'???

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: My first card kit Topic Next Topic: Article about the CP Rail M & M Sub.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000