Railroad Line Forums - Modeling the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Modeling the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My first card kit Topic Next Topic: Article about the CP Rail M & M Sub.
Page: of 19

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  4:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I would share my efforts thus-far in re-creating the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal (NOUPT) for my MA&G. I love passenger trains, and this terminal hosted favorites like the SP, Mopac, L&N, IC, T&P, Southern, and KCS. Here are some prototype photos from the 1950's. The terminal was opened in 1954.

In this photo, which shows the NOUPT under construction, you can see the old union terminal in the foreground. The long sheds to the right were shortened and re-used for postal service. I love how the main concourse is angled from the platform sheds. I will be creating these from kitbashed Walthers butterfly sheds.

I have created a temporary mock-up from full-size HO scale plans. The finished model will be custom laser cut by Chris Jessee at KingMill with scratchbuilt details. The plans were drafted by Dr. Nick Muff who will serve as a liaison on the laser-cutting with Chris. The plans were affixed to foam core board to create the full-size stand-in. Here are some photos of the mock-up from my website.

The GREYHOUND lettering was added in the post-Amtrak years and will not be included on my 1954 model.

This massive model will fill the 4x19-foot peninsula of my upper deck. Also included in that space will be the REA facility, which is being totally scratchbuilt from photos, the Clara Street tower, which will be custom laser cut, and the Claiborne Ave. Overpass which was kitbashed from Rix components. The track, btw, has been completely laid for the third level. In the last shot, the track was merely laid out temporarily.

A 2x14-foot area along the rear wall contains the coach yard (w/Pullman facilities) and diesel shop. Trains are turned on a wye just as on the prototype, and backed into the terminal. This area is truly the centerpiece of the entire layout!

I have written an article on my design of the NOUPT as a Layout Design Element (LDE) which is slated to appear in Model Railroad Planning 2009. The mock-up is already impressive, but the finished model is going to be a knock out!! Watch my website for updates. In the meantime, Iím busy installing 62 tortoise switch machines with wabbit decoders!!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 03/30/2008 4:58:20 PM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  5:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Thanks, Cliff, for keeping us updated with your amazing progress! As for your mockups...why, they'd act as good stand-ins on my railroad! With Dr. Muff and Chris Jessee, sounds like you're hanging out with some pretty talented model railroad friends. Now don't go crazy installing all those switch machines!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  6:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff
Impressive: doesn't even come close. This is going to be a spectacular thread and project. looking forward to the start of construction.
Peter

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  7:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even your mockup looks good!! Really look forward to see this one come together.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  8:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Cliff! Double WOW! As Peter said, impressive doesn't even come close! That is one large structure, and your effort to duplicate it in HO is amazing. I can't wait to see this one come to life. And if it's anyhting like your previous efforts, which I'm sure it will be, it should be fantastic when finished!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  10:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As one who, once upon a time, roughed out a plan for the B&M's North Station and the supporting yards across the Charles River, I have a feeling for what you want (and I've been in and out of NOUPT a few times as well). It seems you've the room and the vision, good luck (particularly in your helpers) with the execution.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  11:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,All I can say is WOW! Very impressive!

I do look forward in seeing the finish model.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  2:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cliff, Great looking mock up! Can't wait to see the real model. It should be spectacular! They sure do eat up the real estate don't they. I'm going to do New Haven station on mine but it's not as good looking as that is. I like the way the designers placed it while still using the old one. It's gonna be nice.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi:

Wow that looks like a project and a 1/2.

Karl S.

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been awhile since I have posted to this thread. I wanted to give an update. The terminal has been laser cut by CMR (Custom Model Railroads) and is ready to ship to me. I had originally planned to use KingMill, but apparently Chris is really busy because I never heard back from him. Working with Jeff at CMR was a real pleasure. I highly recommend his company!

I should have the "kit" in my hands within the next week or so. I plan on starting construction in early September. I have never documented my progress step-by-step through photos on an on-line forum, but I'm going to give it a whirl. Many of these photos will be exclusive to RR-Line and not published on my website. I hope to have the entire complex completed by the end of the year. I'll post pictures of the parts when they arrive.

I look forward to sharing my NOUPT construction with my RR-Line friends.

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an impressive undertaking!!! Looking forward to seeing this one built.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  12:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff, I had missed this thread the first time you posted it, and I have been flabbergasted when I saw the description and the mockup for your NOUPT project. A first glance, I thought the mockup was a non-weathered model, at least on the initial picture. I'm impatient to follow your progress on this huge project.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

I am really looking forward to your step by step modeling. What an impressive kit this will be.

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Cliff. You are a MR God for sure!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Edited by - hunter48820 on 08/10/2008 9:51:44 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  10:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As with everything else you have done/ are doing this is simply incredible, the quality I know you will achieve with this project will be on the same ultra high level as the rest of your modeling achievements, you always amaze me with the progress you make in the time you do it, as with the boats and warehouses and industries you are currently completing as per the other thread.

Outstanding,
Karl.A

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now this will be a treat Cliff! I can't wait to see you tackle this one. For one, I always enjoy the pics of your layout, seeing the finished product, but now to see a work in progress will be fascinating! Thanks in advance for sharing with us.

Mark

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: My first card kit Topic Next Topic: Article about the CP Rail M & M Sub.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000