Railroad Line Forums - Lamson & Goodnow Cutlery - Western Mill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Lamson & Goodnow Cutlery - Western Mill
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: concrete walls Topic Next Topic: Looking to Buy FOS Scale Kits
Page: of 13

GreggW
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  9:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Business had been solid, but growth was flat, so Lamson & Goodnow Cutlery started looking for new opportunities. It was that trip to San Francisco to please his wife that gave Lamson the unexpected reward. He was hoping for a little rest and relaxation, but instead found much more. He found an untapped market of endless bounds; so many people and so few good knives. He wanted to outfit every west coast fisherman, logger and the many cooks with his knives, axes and other tools. Once home, it did not take long for the partners to make the decision to set up shop out west. In order to move quickly, they decided to re-use the existing factory plan, modified to meet the needs of the western local. This not only saved 6-12 months of design/build time, but also allowed them to move a few key experienced workers west, workers who were already very familiar with the existing manufacturing process and layout. The perfect site was found in the foothills, on a river just outside a small town. Here there was a natural dam that with minimal improvements could provide the hard to find power source to move the main mill turbines. But, the terrain was still a challenge. Flat land on which to build just did not exist, at least not in a simple spread like the existing eastern plant. Then one evening while talking and jotting notes on a bar napkin, that problem was solved and within months the new factory was shipping their first blades. Come and enjoy a tour of Lamson & Goodnow Cutlerys - Western Mill.

Building on the cliffs on both sides of a gorge had its challenges. The main mill, wood shop and office buildings were not far away as the crow flies, but that river gorge had to be crossed, which was easy enough to do with a simple bridge.

The elevation changes were managed by having the walkways connect via different floors of adjacent buildings. The mild climates here allowed for outdoor walking, so the old enclosed breezeways were replaced with view friendly covered walkways. That old curved breezeway that caused design and maintenance problems was eliminated, being replaced with a simple bend.

The main office was built per plans, but the geology does not allow for basements here out west. A boardwalk with covered awning were added which allowed the order and invoice workers to comfortably step outside for a breath of fresh air.

Brick was easy to come by, but those slate roof tiles had to be replaced with the wood shakes common out west.

At the top of the hill is the main mill metal shop, which needed water to power the turbines for the metal grinding and finishing machinery.

The wood shop is where the handles are fit and finished. A loading dock was added to address rail shipping needs.

Decking was added on the back of the wood shop. Here the workers can take a break and enjoy lunch with a great view of the falls.

This build was about using elevations to better leverage all the fine elements of a great kit, which for some reason is seldom built. The standard kit layout is tight, thus one cannot truly see the various structures and details. Using a western river gorge setting allowed each structure to be placed at different heights and be better showcased. The natural spread of this western setting gave the extra separation needed to strengthen the scenes even more.

Jim Lucus and I hope our efforts encourage others to dive into those South River Modelworks L&G red boxes and create your own version of this under-appreciated kit. My detailing is not yet finished, but I look forward to completing and placing this L&G mill on my layout, where it will complement
Wrisley Paper http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17659,
Thorndike Mills http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16781,
Martin Machine http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16704
and my other riverside structures, just down the hill from
Houligans Alley http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19564 .

We hope you enjoy this build as much as we do.

Gregg

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  9:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, simply beautiful. Gregg, you've done it again. You've taken a very eastern looking kit and transplanted out west and made it look very plausible. Congratulations on a job well done.

Excellent photography too.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  9:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg, You have done an outstanding job. This is quite a complex. The elevations portray a very real and 3 dimensional view, and drwas the viewer from one building to the other. Great concept. BTW, the photography is oustanding also. This should get some modelers off there duff and start building.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  9:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, your diorama is exceptionnal, Gregg. All these buildings connected by all these walkways, the great details, this cute little scene with the canoe, the great outside setting. This is an amazing model.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  10:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg you have done it again, this is truly inspirational work makes me want to get at one of my big red boxes.Thanks for sharing your work with all of us again. Greg S

Brian Smith
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  10:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg,

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Brian

Miles
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  11:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that Mt. Diablo in the background?

That looks Awesome, I really love your water, and how it reacts with the very authentiv Northern California scenery. Stellar!

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  11:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am a great fan of your work. It is always instantly recognizable which I guess is what we all strive for! I love your sense of form. The layout of your diaramas is always so different to what you are expecting to see. Fantastically unexpected! Looking foward to your next effort, Mark.

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  11:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg,

Beautiful job on the models. Very nice presentation. Using the elevations really makes for an interesting model.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Jim Hodgdon Jr
Section Hand

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  11:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jim Hodgdon Jr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic job! It's all so very believable, rather than the whimsical look that so many dioramas have. Very realistic proportions and elevations.

Jim Hodgdon Jr
Hodgdon Scale Models
www.JamesHodgdon.com

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  11:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous diorama...very inspirational. I'll be swiping a few ideas here I'm sure!
Lance

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  01:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All i can say is WOW. Great job it looks so real and the waterfalls are tops.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

Larry Baker
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  01:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Diorama, Gregg. Your scenery is so realistic I expected to see the water running over the edge. GREAT!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  05:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gregg
OUTSTANDING AND MASTERFULLY DONE !!!!!!! Simply a spectacular build. I am constantly amazed at your creativity and building skills with each new kit/diorama.
Peter

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg, I love how you always think outside the box, a VERY WELL DONE diorama . The spacial concept brings aton more interest to each structure , rather than the whole diorama. Pat

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  07:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on a TOUGH kit, Gregg. You'll really pulled it all together.

Scott

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: concrete walls Topic Next Topic: Looking to Buy FOS Scale Kits  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000